Sign in to follow this  
Erkki

Game Ideas

Post your crazy (or not) game ideas here! I'll start

I just found this from a few months ago

post-6047-0-96073600-1344457245_thumb.png

That was supposed to be a rethinking of my prototype from a couple of years ago that I never finished:

world time travel adventure/rpg hybrid. not "oh you go through this portal here to travel to a different time period" but on-demand-time-travel as a power when/whererever you happen to be. travel to the future and peek stock prices/sports scores/lottery numbers for profit. kill powerful enemies when they are still babies or kill their parents. try not to accidentally off your own ancestors by disrupting the flight path of a butterfly. hijinks like that.

edit: I am not a game developer at all, but someone should make that. C'mon no one else sees the intrinsic marketing cachet of "baby-murder-simulator"? :getmecoat

OK, how about this...

The game opens with Odin standing atop the ramparts of Valhalla, looking out across the landscape of Asgard. In the distance an ominous dark cloud darkens the horizon. Odin turns to his lieutenant and explains that Helheim's minions are rising to challenge his rule. He instructs his lieutenant (lets call him Sven) to go to the realm of mortals and select the four greatest living vikings and bring them before him to be endowed with the power to defend Asgard. On the way to the mortal realm, Sven stumbles across a heavenly tavern and decides to partake of some wenches and mead before descending to Earth to select Asgard's saviors. The screen fades to black as he passes out drunk under a tree. He awakes centuries later to find Asgard in ruins and lousy with demons. Realizing his mistake, Sven hurries to Earth to look for four mighty vikings to help reclaim Asgard. Unfortunately for him, it is now the 21st century and there aren't many vikings around. Eventually he stumbles across a four-man viking metal band and figures, "I guess this will have to do."

Gameplay begins as our heroes rise to Asgard and have to make a mad-dash through armies of demons to get to the besieged stronghold of Valhalla. I am imagining a four-player co-op beat-em-up style game where our heroes use their magically imbued musical instruments as weapons of war against the minions of Helheim with a heavy hitting death metal soundtrack.

Can you tell I have been listening to Amon Amarth all day?

amonamarth.jpg

A couple of years ago I was thinking that I really wanted a wooly mammoth simulator for the Wii, where you could use the nunchuk to move around and the Wii remote pointer to control the trunk. There wouldn't be anything wacky about it; it would just be a straightforward attempt at simulating what it's like to be a wooly mammoth. The title would be "Hairy Elephante." But then I saw an episode of Futurama where they used that phrase, and everything was ruined.

I wanna play a game where you just swim around in a photo-realistic coral reef.

Have you tried Endless Ocean for Wii? Granted, it's the Wii, so it's not exactly photorealistic, but that's pretty much what it is.

A couple of years ago I was thinking that I really wanted a wooly mammoth simulator for the Wii, where you could use the nunchuk to move around and the Wii remote pointer to control the trunk.

Pitch it for the Kinect where you have to sway your arm.

There's like 3 games I wanna make but can't, and here's one:

It's an RTS that starts off like Sim City. You have to create a town and have people happily living in it and paying taxes. The town should have energy and a police force and a football stadium, and whatever it needs to run and be fun.

Like I said though, this is an RTS: Before too long, another nation will come and attack your town...

On the outskirts of your town is an arcane alchemic structure. Relinquishing civillians to this structure will turn them into soldiers, which you can use to defend your city. Giving three soldiers to the obelisk produces a tank. Sacrificing five gives a helicopter.

Your one currency and resource in this game is human life.

As days go by, opposing factions will try harder and harder to raze your empire, so you'll need to spend more humans to make more succubus firepower.

AS WE ALL KNOW- AND AS IS THE HEART OF THIS GAME'S DARKNESS: Real-time strategies are all about efficiency.

Making that football stadium wasted time. Next mission you won't make the football stadium.

I'll try this mission again, but this time I won't waste time making these sim's lives comfortable, as they're only going to end up as sacrifices later.

Instead I'll cultivate them, like livestock.

THIS WAY I CAN WIN!

If I herd my stock into grids, I can produce a much higher YIELD! My firepower is UNMATCHED!!

They're escaping? HIGHER WALLS, I SAY!! MY EFFICIENCY MUST BE DIVINELY PERFECT TO WIN THIS ROUND.

When some of your crop escapes, it has a chance to return later in the match as a third faction: rebels. The rebel faction will fight against you, and the game's already hard enough as it is with the regular enemies. So if you ever DO see any man sprinting across the badlands, just click on him. They splat on the ground like the rats in Theme Hospital.

An upgrade down the tech tree that I can reccomend is to hang your crop from a high cieling while they grow. That way, if they ever do wriggle free, they'll simply fall to their deaths anyway and be filtered into the feeding tubes intravenously to administer fluid and electrolytes to the surrounding crop. Of course that'll only be available in much later missions where you really do need supreme efficiency.

So that's the game: It's an RTS where you have to get more and more efficient with your resources to be the best. Like Starcraft!

Also you can put like a tank and a helicopter into the structure to make like a tank-o-copter, so you can get creative in a fun way I hope!

I can't make it cos I'm not a big enough RTS fan to know how to design one well.

There's like 3 games I wanna make but can't, and here's one:

It's an RTS that starts off like Sim City. You have to create a town and have people happily living in it and paying taxes. The town should have energy and a police force and a football stadium, and whatever it needs to run and be fun.

Like I said though, this is an RTS: Before too long, another nation will come and attack your town...

On the outskirts of your town is an arcane alchemic structure. Relinquishing civillians to this structure will turn them into soldiers, which you can use to defend your city. Giving three soldiers to the obelisk produces a tank. Sacrificing five gives a helicopter.

Your one currency and resource in this game is human life.

As days go by, opposing factions will try harder and harder to raze your empire, so you'll need to spend more humans to make more succubus firepower.

AS WE ALL KNOW- AND AS IS THE HEART OF THIS GAME'S DARKNESS: Real-time strategies are all about efficiency.

Making that football stadium wasted time. Next mission you won't make the football stadium.

I'll try this mission again, but this time I won't waste time making these sim's lives comfortable, as they're only going to end up as sacrifices later.

Instead I'll cultivate them, like livestock.

THIS WAY I CAN WIN!

If I herd my stock into grids, I can produce a much higher YIELD! My firepower is UNMATCHED!!

They're escaping? HIGHER WALLS, I SAY!! MY EFFICIENCY MUST BE DIVINELY PERFECT TO WIN THIS ROUND.

When some of your crop escapes, it has a chance to return later in the match as a third faction: rebels. The rebel faction will fight against you, and the game's already hard enough as it is with the regular enemies. So if you ever DO see any man sprinting across the badlands, just click on him. They splat on the ground like the rats in Theme Hospital.

An upgrade down the tech tree that I can reccomend is to hang your crop from a high cieling while they grow. That way, if they ever do wriggle free, they'll simply fall to their deaths anyway and be filtered into the feeding tubes intravenously to administer fluid and electrolytes to the surrounding crop. Of course that'll only be available in much later missions where you really do need supreme efficiency.

So that's the game: It's an RTS where you have to get more and more efficient with your resources to be the best. Like Starcraft!

Also you can put like a tank and a helicopter into the structure to make like a tank-o-copter, so you can get creative in a fun way I hope!

I can't make it cos I'm not a big enough RTS fan to know how to design one well.

I slightly died inside while reading this, realising that this indeed could be a grim future reality for our own civilisation, or much more likely, a horrible game show.

Well that is if one faraway nation leader uncovers the philosipher's monolith that accepts human life essence in exchange for the ultimate power. THEN we're in trouble.

Well that is if one faraway nation leader uncovers the philosipher's monolith that accepts human life essence in exchange for the ultimate power. THEN we're in trouble.

Well yeah, the monolith is probably the only thing stopping this from happening.

oh just remembered my another idea:

a first person puzzle game where your "gimmick" is to momentarily pop out into 3rd person view. So you would be able to move the camera to see around corners, or look over someone's shoulder while they enter in a password etc. Not sure there are enough puzzles you could work around that gimmick for a full fledged game, but for maybe a 15-20 minute long indie thing, I think it could be neat as it would kind of lay bare the intrinsic advantage the player has when playing in third person. Combine it with non-euclidian geometry like antichamber where level geometry only shifts/deforms or whatever when you either are or aren't looking at it (for varying values of looking at: whether the camera or the avatar is pointed at it) and you could maybe have the basis for something longer.