Sign in to follow this  
elmuerte

Return of the Rise of the Triads

To me there's an odd mismatch where the game play is light, unrealistic and has a laissez faire approach to killing, but the graphics are realistic with horror movie gore. This sort of game would work better IMO if the enemies were somehow dehumanised either stylistically (cartoony etc.) or through the story (aliens, ghosts, whatever).

Or not cowering for their lives begging you not to kill them. Surely that won't hurt.

Or not cowering for their lives begging you not to kill them. Surely that won't hurt.

There's an idea.

To me there's an odd mismatch where the game play is light, unrealistic and has a laissez faire approach to killing, but the graphics are realistic with horror movie gore. This sort of game would work better IMO if the enemies were somehow dehumanised either stylistically (cartoony etc.) or through the story (aliens, ghosts, whatever).

Did either of you play the original? There is a solid story behind the game, its extremely over the top and unrealistic, but it was there. The Triad was some kind of cult that were breeding monsters to take over the world. Also Undead monks.

If you hadn't played the original, you might not realise that the cowering in fear was part of that game too. I remember when one of the guys first did that I stopped shooting. IIRC, he collapsed as if dead, then a few seconds later got up and started shooting me in the back. I thought it was a clever bit of AI deception that hadn't existed in many similar games at the time. Why they've emphasised that element of the game in the trailer I have no idea.

Hmm, from that RPS article:

We want the gameplay to be extremely tight. But we’ve selected a game to remake that doesn’t require us to have a story writer or cinematic directing of cut-scenes or things like that.

The Triad was some kind of cult that were breeding monsters to take over the world. Also Undead monks.

Sounds solid.

Yeah, okay, it's easy to make fun of a video game story made pre-HL (well it's easy to make fun of most video game stories post HL too) but I think that's the point of the distaste in remaking it... it's just too dumb. It's like trying to recreate 80s comedies, they were great for their era, but it can't be done again, that time has passed.

Has anybody already mentioned or noticed that this has now been stated to be targeted at being a 15 dollar game?

Sounds solid.

Yeah, okay, it's easy to make fun of a video game story made pre-HL (well it's easy to make fun of most video game stories post HL too) but I think that's the point of the distaste in remaking it... it's just too dumb. It's like trying to recreate 80s comedies, they were great for their era, but it can't be done again, that time has passed.

Yeah, I want to see how it turns out. If it's bad then too bad. Maybe they could do it well though. Maybe.

(I have a soft spot for that era of gaming, in case you couldn't tell) :oldman:

Has anybody already mentioned or noticed that this has now been stated to be targeted at being a 15 dollar game?

I noticed and I think that's perfect. At that price point, it makes me feel like they're really just wanting to throw together a fan service game for people who loved the original and not trying to take themselves too seriously. Maybe DNF would have done better if it had done the same. :-P