Sign in to follow this  
Jake

Idle Thumbs 67: Dot Gobbler

Nice ghost costume.

Idle Thumbs 67: Dot Gobbler

Idle Thumbs spends a day at the video arcade, or more specifically at the California Extreme arcade expo, for an opportunity to relive some nonexistent kid's slowly fading memories of destroying castles, marbles with human faces, and the worst Halloween of his life.

Games Discussed: Rampart, Castles, Marble Madness II: Marble Man, Dot Gobbler, SparkZ, Grid, NFL Blitz, Fez, The Walking Dead

Direct episode download.

iTunes page.

Keep the RSS fed!

Weird, I remember the game having fewer colors in my head, but that is the one we played. I guess it's slightly later era than I was visualizing on the cast.

Is the first enclosure phase in Rampart automatic? Game looks really nice visually, I love the depth that appears in the cannon phase.

In case anyone was wondering how obnoxious Marble Madness 2 is

And Rampart is amazing. I used to play it all the time with my friends because it came in some Midway Arcade Treasures release for the x-box. I wish it would come out on x-box live arcade

You guys know Zach?

How long have you known him for? I remember him talking about you guys a few years ago on a podcast as if he hadn't met you but wanted to.

Neat.

Chris, from what I read, the 4th clock tower anti-cube (grey) is just midnight every 2 days, based on your xbox' time. You can even take the xbox offline to get the cube.

Chris, from what I read, the 4th clock tower anti-cube (grey) is just midnight every 2 days, based on your xbox' time. You can even take the xbox offline to get the cube.

I tried to look this up as well and had the same experience as Chris. In my findings, the last clock hand is on a 7-day schedule, not a 2-day one. It makes much more sense in the context of the other hands that way (once a minute, once an hour, once a day, and once a week) and using this hunch i managed to get the fourth hand right on schedule.

I tried to look this up as well and had the same experience as Chris. In my findings, the last clock hand is on a 7-day schedule, not a 2-day one. It makes much more sense in the context of the other hands that way (once a minute, once an hour, once a day, and once a week) and using this hunch i managed to get the fourth hand right on schedule.

Seven-day would make sense based on our experience. It definitely wasn't midnight though--maybe there's something wacky about our clock settings? I haven't even looked in a month.

My fiancée had this Pac-Man clone growing up:

Munch_Man_Coverart.png

Also, there was a Pac-Man cartoon for some reason:

500x_pacman.jpg

I'm really pleased that all of this exists, and that so many artists strained to give a series of yellow circle mans a bit more humanity.

Four cunning Hoonos are in hot pursuit of your Munchman while he races to an energizer to change the attack. Can he make it to safety' date=' or does his fate lie in the mouth of the Hoonos?[/quote']

Glad to immediately hear about the acknowledgement of Rampart... it was great, I played it on the snes.

Seven-day would make sense based on our experience. It definitely wasn't midnight though--maybe there's something wacky about our clock settings? I haven't even looked in a month.

No it's not midnight. I believe it's a unique time based on something wacky like the first time you play the game or maybe it's a random time with your first play acting as the seed? Either way it definitely wasn't midnight for me. It ended up being Sunday at like 1pm but again I think it's different for everybody. It's definitely consistent to whatever time it's set to though so if you notice that you just missed it or something like that you can wait almost a week and try again.

Also, I think the time window that the cube appears ends up being pretty generous - like 2 or 3 hours - since I don't think the hands move in analog (there are like 96 or 108 positions around the clock (I obviously went through the same headache that you did!)) so you don't have to be absolutely perfect with your timing... Although since there's no real precise way to figure out what the time is until you see it, you may want to check earlier than your math indicates just to be sure (this is what happened to me. I thought it would be 2pm but I checked at 1 and the cube was there so I took it).

I would definitely suggest giving it another go if that's your last cube. The "full" ending is really worth experiencing, especially since you've put so much time into it!