elmuerte

Music of the games of video

And two from HL2: Episode Two! (imo, the best music in the series.)

This music is played in the second level of Unreal, right after you escape the crashed prison ship. It's one of my all time favorite parts of a video game ever. You just escape a dark and gloomy prison ship with death all over, and they you enter into the bright a peaceful world of Na Pali.

EDIT: OHSHIT that auto plays. I'm not sorry.

Jesus christ that thing is annoying. Try figuring out which window is spamming music when you've got 15 open and no idea where it comes from.

More Unreal!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=burzlYxbUmI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axehix2KnP0

I don't think the original Unreal gets quite the love it deserves, it's always overshadowed by UT in people's minds. Unreal was just such a great solo game, such a sense of discovery and exploration. A lot like Half-Life in that it was a linear game with a cohesive journey and tons of nooks and crannies to distract yourself with as you move forward.

Lineair as in a fixed sequence of levels. But quite some levels are everything but lineair.

I remember Beyond Good and Evil fondly, not only because it was a great game, but also because it has a great soundtrack. The first one is a great theme for epic battle and the second one really makes me think of bovine bartenders and sharks with sunglasses on.

Also one theme that has stuck with me ever since I first heard it is the Ground Control 2 menu theme.

So i really like the ost for Nier.

The gibberish languages in the songs are loosely derived from existing languages and meant to simulate thousands of years of linguistic drift, to go with the game's distant post-apocalypse setting.

(Incidentally, the songs in Beyond Good & Evil are also built around a fictional language.)

If you aren't grinning from ear to ear, it's because you're dead inside.

...Meh.

I started re-playing Doom, and was reminded of how much that music's chiseled into my brain. Some guy remade the Episode 1 levels in Doom 3, and also re-did the music. I have a couple favorites that always seem to make it onto whatever music playlist I build:

The thing about the music from Doom is that it's basically all stolen (at least most of the riffs):

Although the funny thing is I like the Doom versions more.

I hear some similarities, but overall the claim is a bit farfetched.

JRPG's, however, have a long, sordid history of flagrantly ripping off songs.

Sound familiar?

I just picked this up, and have been finding the soundtrack totally infectious.

I was never much of a SMT/Persona guy, but i dig ArcSys fighters and am finding P4A pretty awesome.

Argh, I can't post as many Youtube videos as I want :/

Do I know all the words to

? Why that's neither here nor there!!!!

Do I know all the words to Swing Time from

? Yes, absolutely. Nothing sums up Spider-Man better than the lyrics:

"SWING TIME!!

Flying for justice,

SWING TIME!!

Take no prisoners."

Also the character select music from 1080 Snowboarding is horrifyingly memorable,

Bonus: Here's Kid Icarus on piano, which is

. Apart from GUSTY GARDEN!!!!

I had been thinking about posting a couple from Mighty Switch Force, but i've been beaten to it.

Instead, these from Arcade System Works' stylish and savagely difficult Contra spin-off.

Also on the topic of made-up languages in Video game music:

FACT: the best fictional-language-in-a-video-game-song remains

I loved the KOTOR 2 soundtrack, it really conveyed that there was no hope for the player and they we're alone, especially on the mining station at the start.

I already hit on the Deus Ex theme a page or two back, but that particular Episode 2 song hadn't been posted.

Anyways...

I have nothing but adoration for these games, i don't care what anybody says.

Somewhere along the way it became cool to hate Myst, people completely forgot how mesmerizing those games were, and how devilishly challenging their puzzles were. (Exposed to Riven as a kid, i definitely wasn't prepared for having to decipher an imagined culture's base-25 numerical system.) People might argue that the first game seems really arbitrary, and it is, but that series got way better at contextualizing its puzzles as it went on, and built out a really fascinating universe with it.