elmuerte

Music of the games of video

Chris talked a bit about how memorable music in Diablo was, and how less memorable it was in Diablo 3, and how Torchlight 2 will have quite some awesome tunes. As a rather big fan of game music (it's pretty much all I've been listening to for the past 10+ years) I think it's a great subject for a thread on idlethumbs. So...

Post your most memorable (original) video game music in this thread.

So, a few minutes ago I posted a link to a C64 version of Vice City in the youtube thread. At it immediate reminded me of this awesome track

GTA is pretty much all about licensed music in radio form. But there are a few original pieces. The GTA Vice City theme is absolutely awesome. It perfectly captures the the whole 80s setting of the game in just a few seconds/

Such a nice choice with Machinarium.

I would go with Planescape Torment as I really connected with the music during the game. It just fits the atmosphere perfectly, subdued, mysterious and haunting.

I'll also throw in this gem. The memories....

EDIT: I also have no idea how to embed.

EDIT2: Thank you.

Basically just paste the Youtube link without any additional stuff.

Stewart Copeland (of The Police) composed all the original Spyro soundtracks. Super cool music, thematically consistent and is basically all anybody thinks about when they reminisce about that era of platforming games.

Wouldn't necessarily listen to it on its own but this tune will always be memorable for the context and the way the scene was executed:

In terms of soundtracks on rotation in my iTunes soundtrack: Fez, Bastion, and Sworcery all have amazing and memorable soundtracks.

I love the music of these new-fangled digital entertainments!

To avoid flooding with embeds, i'll mete out some of my favorites as the topic grows.

^ By my estimation, one of the best and most energetic final boss themes ever.

^ And this is just one that's really stuck with me.

I can't stand most video game music outside the context of video games.

But I like listening to this album because Yoko Shimomura is one of my favorite video game music composers and these are some damn good arrangements.

It probably also doesn't hurt that Legend of Mana's soundtrack is one of my favorites of all time.

Also I like this one a lot.

Wind Waker music is pretty good.

I'm only double-posting because this is the last thing I want to link and the forums won't allow more than two media links per post. SORRY.

Also I like pretty much every track from Donkey Kong Country.

I guess I lied I love video game music outside the context of video games.

I really like the Silent Hill soundtracks. I'm ridiculous.

I love mostly chiptunes, specially this one:

I had a very strange relationship with music as a kid, I "hated" music, even though I loved video game music, I didn't believe it was the same thing, that is until I played Parodious:

Once I realized one of my favorite games had classic music remixes in it I finally had to admit that I liked music.

I love the music produced by some of the soundchips in the classic consoles, but the SNES stands above the rest for me personally.

Two more because i love the SNES so damn much.

^ Oh my god, this game. Listen to that! Axelay is awesome!

^ The Genesis version of this game, Thunder Spirits III, is almost unquestionably a better game, but i always preferred the SNES remixes of these tunes.

Bastion, anyone? My favorite is Brusher Patrol:

And the singer in me is always down to sing along with the vocal tracks:

Crusader: No Remorse also had quite excellent music. Most music is rather fast paced and doesn't always fit perfectly with the stuff that is going on at that point in the game. Music the 3 music tracks that play in the "rebel base" map (which you revisit after every mission) are simply awesome. It's the "Tristram of Crusader: No Remorse

All three tracks are quite gloomy, and that's also the overall mood in the rebel base.

alternating track #1

alternating track #2

Absolutely love the Crusader: No Remorse OST

No Regret had some great songs too.

The people behind these soundtracks have quite a history too. (Went on to do Unreal, UT, Deux Ex and more.)

All great soundtracks, all heavily steeped in demoscene sounds.

The MW2 soundtrack is one that has been completely indelible for me.

There are so many video games whose music will still my heart with nostalgia, but I can't recall any others right now :/

Why are we avoiding the obvious choices?