nikasaur

Comics Extravaganza - Pow Bang Smash!

Ganges is probably Huizenga's best work. I love his work and whenever he releases anything, it's an instant buy for me. 

Are you a fan of Sammy Harkam? 

I've read Everything Together and liked it, but I didn't know where to go after that. I liked what I read, though! Alt comics can just be frustrating if you're trying to navigate finding new things by yourself.

Check out Crickets #4 and 5.

If you haven't, check out stuff by Joseph Remnant, Michel Fiffe, Tom Van Deusen and Conor Stechschulte

So a few days ago Darwyn Cooke, who I considered to be probably the best person currently working in comics, passed away. He was just absolutely incredible, from his design sense to his storytelling everything was just top notch. I still don't really know what to say, but he's for sure going to be missed by a lot of people.

TCJ did a great interview with him in 2007 that's really good and shows how special of a personality he was.

http://www.tcj.com/the-darwyn-cooke-interview-by-markisan-naso/

It's come up in slack a few times recently so I figured it might be a good way to revive this thread by begging everyone else to check out the Flintstones comic DC is putting out. It's very biting political satire and social commentary and I have no idea what made DC/Warner Brothers to decide to publish a book this subversive, but I'm so happy they are. This is one of less than a handful of books that I actually buy in single issues, it's just so good. For people that don't buy floppies, which is probably most people, the first collection comes out end of March by the looks of it (and if you just want to check it out and see what I'm talking you can read it online with very little effort by just Google searching it). 

I've read bits and pieces from the new Flintstones. I was caught off guard by its commentary on war veterans, PTSD, and loss of ethnic identity.

I've really enjoyed Polygon's video explainer series of some of the more intricate issues in reading comics.

Some of the info might be a little basic for old school comics nerds but I really appreciate the clear and approachable format, looks like they're getting deeper and more interesting with each ep!

Oh wow I had no idea that pull list were so influential.

also just caught up on Deadly Class, so dam good!!!

Next thing I want to check out is A Land Called Tarot. Looks fantastic.

Just added Flintstones to my massive backlog of comics to read. I spent a huge chunk of today reading issues of Motor Crush, Future Quest, and Star Wars: Doctor Aphra. Thoroughly enjoyed all three!

1 hour ago, gavku said:

Oh wow I had no idea that pull list were so influential.

also just caught up on Deadly Class, so dam good!!!

Next thing I want to check out is A Land Called Tarot. Looks fantastic.

I keep forgetting that there's new Deadly Class issues, I need to catch up.

Re: pull lists and such, I listen to the iFanboy podcast and one of the hosts, Ron Richards, was the director of business development at Image for a while and since coming back to the cast (he wasn't a host the years he worked at Image) he's dropped a lot of insider info that's been pretty eye-opening for me.  For example I sort of was under the impression that digital sales were getting pretty big and probably made up a sizable chunk of sales.  They don't, everything is still revolving around sales of floppies (and specifically around preorders of them).  Even sales of tpb's aren't that much of a factor, if you aren't moving single issues you're not looking good even if you end up selling well in collected editions.  Also this probably shouldn't have been that much of a surprise to me as the numbers are out there, but I sort of thought Image was starting to become a competitor to Marvel in DC. In terms of issues sold Marvel and DC are still 70%+ of the market and Image is less than 10%.

Comixology has a Batgirl sale on for the rest of the day. I'm tempted to buy volumes 1-3 of the 2014-2016 Fletcher/Stewart/Tarr/Wicks run for my girlfriend. She doesn't read comics but she does have a fondness for the character of Batgirl, as she is a librarian and a feminist. I haven't read the series but I thought it might be a good fit for her first proper comic as I understand it's modern, light and fresh.

Are there any big reasons that this wouldn't be a good first comic? Does it require a high degree of familiarity with background lore or the medium in general? (I know there is a bit of crossover with that "Death Of The Family" Joker event where @Apelsin felt like the reader was expected to be reading the other lines.) Does it actually start to suck halfway through? Does it not have any kind of wrap-up or ending?

Thanks to anyone who can advise me before the sale ends!

EDIT: I went ahead and got this after a little discussion on Slack. Hope she enjoys it!

wow, I didn't even realize this topic existed. Cool.

So I was really into comics in elementary school and junior high and then took 20 year hiatus. But I've been back into the hobby pretty hard for the past year or so now. I had started out by doing the natural thing of revisiting old childhood favorites (anything Ninja Turtles, Fantastic Four, X-Men, Deadpool, etc) and then moving on to classics I had missed out on (Watchmen, Killing Joke, Long Halloween, etc).

But then back in November I went to the local Comicon and got way further into the hobby. So now I've become one of those guys who actually picks up new issues on a weekly basis. Some current series that I'm really enjoying would be the two Avengers series that Mark Waid is writing, Amazing Spider-Man: Renew Your Vows, Hawkeye (Kate Bishop), Infamous Iron Man, Supergirl and the Being Super mini series, and of course the ongoing TMNT series along with the TMNT/Batman Adventures and TMNT Universe titles.

I've also made myself this list of ~30 titles from the 90's that I'm now reading through chronologically. I realize that the 90's were a polarizing time for comics, but I was last reading in the late 80's and early 90's, plus I'm generally just a big fan of 90's stuff. Nostalgia and all. Right now I'm still in the 1991 section of my list, and currently smack dab in the middle of The Infinity Gauntlet. 

Anyway, hi.

I've already posted in this thread about it and extensively in the comics slack channel about it, but The Flintstones continues to be amazing.  In slack I talked a lot this week about the issue that came out on Wednesday (#10 of 12) so I'll probably give it a break after this post, but the more I think about the issue the stronger I feel that it's something super special and I'd go so far as to say that this particular issue is easily one of the best single issue of any comic I've ever read, for sure the best I've read in many years.

Oooh, thanks for the reminder! I'll be heading down to Forbidden Planet to get the usual bag of adverts, then.

I've just bought a tablet and signed up for my city library's online comic service, which has some sweet stuff in it. I've been reading the Back To The Future comics (terrible) and the Archie 2015 comics (really good fun, though it was a shame to see Fiona Staples go so early). I'm going to read Afterlife With Archie next. Then I seem to have read the rest of the good stuff, otherwise it's all Angry Birds and stuff.

I've decided to get through my comics backlog before I read any more books, and I prioritised Sandman because not only is it probably the one I've had for the longest, it's also got a new telly adaptation coming up (as well as a radio adaptation that came out recently and I believe starred one of our forumites pabosher!). I'm over halfway through, and after a slightly more traditionally DC Comicsy start, it has spread out into something absolutely wonderful. It's so diverse in its subject matter, settings and storytelling modes, and the art is gorgeous. I love how experimental it gets without ever disappearing up its own arse, and all the little touches like how Dream's visual abstraction varies without mention - sometimes he looks like a goth icon, sometimes like a portrait of Neil Gaiman, sometimes like a Jim Henson creation.

I just have no idea how they're going to adapt this for telly!