nikasaur

Comics Extravaganza - Pow Bang Smash!

My goodness, the new Wicked + Divine.

Is it really that good? Comixology happens to have a Gillen and Mckelvie sale with Wicked and Dive and Phonogram now, they also seem to have an Aspen sale... I don't know about Aspen apart from Fathom which I found boring. 

Aspen comics look like "cheesecake comics" and not even in the funny way. :\

Thirding Wicked + Divine.  Phonogram is great too, but the first volume is definitely their least essential.  You can read Singles club without it. 

Wicked + Divine is really that good. Phonogram is great too, but I agree with ewokskick: get The Singles Club if you're only going to get one. Apparently there's a bunch of backmatter in the single issues that wasn't collected in the trade, too, so it might be worth grabbing them like that.

Read the first issue of Phonogram: The Immaterial Girl today. Good stuff. Exactly as weirdly metaphorical and abstruse as I've come from the series, along with the so-clever-it's-annoying-but-it's-still-clever plotting and scripting that's trademark Gillen. Seriously, dude, a comic about a girl who gets sucked into a music video about a girl who gets sucked into a comic?  Get out of here. But also I want more.

Agh, the shop only had vol2 of W+D the other day. Some woman had bought the last vol 1 just before i wandered in. I wanna read:(

I am really, really super burned out on superhero comics (except Astro City). Are Ms. Marvel or Captain Marvel good enough to shine through the boring punching-bad-guys saving-the-world stuff?

Also I really need to pick up that W+D v2, so much hype for that series right now. Here's hoping they don't fuck up the TV adaptation

Man, this has been an awesome week: a Michael DeForge week! Dressings and Lose #7 came out and they are magnificent.

I need to get the new Blammo and other Van Sciver comics that have come out this year.

Kieron Gillen must be going mad with all the work he's been doing lately. Next week, he has no few than 6 comics coming out: WicDiv #14, Phonogram: The Immaterial Girl #2, Siege #3, Mercury Heat #3, Darth Vader #9, 1602: Witch Hunter Angela #3. No clue how he does all that.

I am really, really super burned out on superhero comics (except Astro City). Are Ms. Marvel or Captain Marvel good enough to shine through the boring punching-bad-guys saving-the-world stuff?

For me personally no, I'm actually exactly where you are in that I only read Astro City at this point (mostly out of habit, but it has been super good the past few months).

The current Humble Bundle has a lot of good stuff, I'm interested to see what gets added, but so far there's Love and Rockets, Barefoot Gen, Essex County, Bone, and The Boys (at least a miniseries spinoff) amongst other things.

So I got the new Adrian Tomine hardcover collection when it came out a week or two ago and man I love that the book jacket is just clear plastic and you can take it off and loose the text on the cover. So clean.

RoQCZMJ.jpg

LjjPdU5.jpg

Comixology is having TWO different Halloween comic sales and... They have Tarot now? Is that comic is as terri-awesome as I've heard or just bad? Just the covers by themselves are hilarious! 

Some of the horror comics in the REAL "comedy" section of the sale look really fun and cute though? 

The Two Posh Old Ladies Who Found Themselves in a bit of a Zombie Apocalypse? Sounds like my cup of tea!

Comixology had a sale on the Uber recently which  is comic series where with the Soviets at the outskirts of Berlin Germany drives them back with superhuman soldiers who can take a tank shell to the face and fire balls of energy that can then blow up said tank.  I really like the thought put into how these super soldiers would change how a war would be fought. In particular the idea seems to be that Germany is still going to lose cause the Allies get their hands on how to create their own supersoliders due to a british spy but alot more people are going to die especially the western allies. The narration is written like a history book from this world's future and there are some good suggestions for books to to with WW2 in the back. 

Picked up volumes 2-4 of the Viking comic Northlanders which I also enjoyed except for the arc involving the Vikings in Ireland which was painfully inaccurate in it's deception of the vikings as powerful overlords who are challenged by the insurgent Irish led by Brian Boru. It read like something by an Irish nationalist from the early 1900's.

Finally I read the first two volume of the new Astro City and this comic continues to be the best superhero comic I have read cause it's realises that not every in a superhero comic has to be one, they can be a comic book writer, a doorman or a woman who uses her telekinetic powers to help make special effects movies who has no interest in being a caped crusader.

This and Uber are the only two super hero comics being written I can think of  that aren't just superhero v supervillian ad nauseum. Is there any other that are worth reading ?

This and Uber are the only two super hero comics being written I can think of  that aren't just superhero v supervillian ad nauseum. Is there any other that are worth reading ?

I haven't read Uber, but I'm a huge fan of another Kieron Gillen-written comic, The Wicked & The Divine. It's sort of superhero-ish: it's about Gods who get reincarnated as pop stars. It's fantastic. If you like Gillen's writing, I highly recommend it.

There are more horror comics on sale at Comixology, including one that gives a whole new meaning to "Monster Trucks".

They also have Lady Death on sale, I remember watching the cartoon and it was boring, but I don't really know the comic and Super Girl... I've never read Super Girl, I've seen her appear in other comics and cartoons, but I don't really know much about her. Are they good?

I just got my copy of Two Brothers, the new book by Fabio Moon and Gabriel Ba. Super excited to read it, through flipping through and looking at the art does make me miss Dave Stewart's coloring that Daytripper had.

I haven't read Uber, but I'm a huge fan of another Kieron Gillen-written comic, The Wicked & The Divine. It's sort of superhero-ish: it's about Gods who get reincarnated as pop stars. It's fantastic. If you like Gillen's writing, I highly recommend it.

I have the first volume of that from a humble bundle I have been meaning to read.

I've got Uber and it's....well, it's just too gross for me. I like a lot about it, but it glories in the destruction of pretty much everything.

I just got my copy of Two Brothers, the new book by Fabio Moon and Gabriel Ba. Super excited to read it, through flipping through and looking at the art does make me miss Dave Stewart's coloring that Daytripper had.

<3

While I miss Stewart's color, the B&W really makes the comic and I think if it was in color it would have changed the atmosphere and the feel of the comic.

What I mean by that this is A. I think a visual love letter to comics of the past, especially to Latin American comic strips. The final panel reminds of the great Hugo Pratt. Hell, I could see it in Corto Maltese.

B. This comic takes place in during the Rubber Boom, it's golden years and I think it would have been weird for it to have been in color; we're moving into the past. I may be just weird, I'm used to seeing that past through B&W photography and that's how I see it. I know it's not, but my vision of it has been colored through what I've seen and how it's talked about.

unnamed-52.jpg

EDIT:

Here's a Pratt as a reference 

pratt-1.jpg