nikasaur

Comics Extravaganza - Pow Bang Smash!

To hear Moore tell it, Morrison copied the whole magic thing off him anyway. And has Moore's quality of work really dipped that much? Maybe LoG Vol3 wasn't as good as the first two, but Promethea, Tom Strong and all that were brilliant.

I don't think it's dipped, I still enjoy stuff he puts out which is more than I can say for a lot of people. I heard Crossed +100 was good though I personally never got into Crossed ever despite really loving people like Garth Ennis and David Lapham. I also didn't pick up the first issue of his new (mini)series Providence which just came out since I'm not the biggest Lovecraft fan, but I'll probably at the very least give it a read when it's collected.

To be fair to Grant Morrison doing drugs are a much bigger part of his shtick than doing magic. I use the word shtick in place of the word "thing", I like Grant Morrison. I'm bad with words.

Big fan of Lost Girls, his sex fairy tale book?

Alan Moore's work has gotten a lot more spotty as his career has gone on. He's got some really phenomenal work under his belt, but I stopped keeping up with anything new or newish after a while. So much of it was just bad that the good bits didn't seem worth it.

Big fan of Lost Girls, his sex fairy tale book?

Alan Moore's work has gotten a lot more spotty as his career has gone on. He's got some really phenomenal work under his belt, but I stopped keeping up with anything new or newish after a while. So much of it was just bad that the good bits didn't seem worth it.

I own Lost Girls but haven't read it yet. I take this to mean you didn't like it?

Maybe I'm not keeping up with his work enough to know the bad stuff, I'll take a look at what he's done since his America's Best Comics stuff.

EDIT: okay, seems more like he hasn't done much direct work on comics in the past five years or so, and up til then I thought his work was still really strong.

OK yeah what is with all this nonsense about Moore! His stuff after the year 2000 is at least as good as his stuff from the '80's (or at least Promethea is). The reason that he has done fewer and fewer comics over the past 10 years is because he's been branching out into zines, poetry, music, and all sorts of other even weirder stuff. Pretty reasonable course for a person who's had strong and steady output in one form for 3 or 4 decades.

I haven't read Nemo but the other recent League stuff was quite good. Also have only read the first book of Lost Girls but it was excellent

I mean that's fair enough, but that's kind of the point. Watchmen was uncomfortable with how violent it was. I'm pretty neutral about Lost Girls specifically, but I appreciate what it was going for and at least in some way I'd imagine it led to books like Sex by Joe Casey (which also as a superhero deconstruction book owes a lot to Watchmen)

Sorry, Sigg.

So I read Fun Home the other day. Daunting read. I especially liked the way that each chapter is filled with comparisons to a specific book and what it meant to Bechdel and her father.

EDIT: holy shit, there's going to be a Nimona animated film. This is right after Lumberjanes got picked up for a live-action movie. It is a good time to be Noelle Stevenson.

She has a sequel out covering her relationship with her mother including after fun home was published. If I am remembering it right Woolf and Freud are mentioned a fair amount. Also  psychoanalysis of her dreams as she was writing the comic. It's called are you my  mother?

OK yeah what is with all this nonsense about Moore! His stuff after the year 2000 is at least as good as his stuff from the '80's (or at least Promethea is). The reason that he has done fewer and fewer comics over the past 10 years is because he's been branching out into zines, poetry, music, and all sorts of other even weirder stuff. Pretty reasonable course for a person who's had strong and steady output in one form for 3 or 4 decades.

I haven't read Nemo but the other recent League stuff was quite good. Also have only read the first book of Lost Girls but it was excellent

He had a magazine at one stage where he drew a strip of anthropomorphic penises living their lives. 

I'll keep an eye out for that.

So, I finally got around to reading Afterlife with Archie and it's really great. Well written, directed, illustrated and the colours? Pick my jaw off the floor.

I'm a brit and knew very, very little about Archie before now, but I think I'll make a point of reading more Archie comics.

Btw, did anyone like Moore's "Neonomicon"? I thought that was good, and it's relatively recent I think?

Btw, did anyone like Moore's "Neonomicon"? I thought that was good, and it's relatively recent I think?

If you liked it he just started the sequel a month or two back called Providence

I read Seconds the other day, by Bryan Lee O'Malley. I personally liked Scott Pilgrim but felt like I outgrew it as I got older, and Seconds really feels like a much more mature and cohesive work overall, to the point that I actually kind of resented the few small nods to Scott Pilgrim in there. Seconds perfectly captures this sort of frustrating "successful but not successful, happy but not happy" period after the indestructibility of being a teenager or early twenty-something wears off. It's from a much darker place, too. The book cost O'Malley his marriage, he lost the use of his drawing hand for several months, and he worked sixteen-hour days for most of the book's four-year development; and all of that pain ends up showing. Really great stuff.

I finally got around to reading Seconds myself. I admit, I missed the occasional incoherence and flab of Scott Pilgrim more than once, but only because O'Malley no longer seems to be at quite the place where he'll put more than a few dozen pages into establishing a character's circumstances. I don't know, I wish that there had been some lingering on Katie's shitty situations with Andrew and with Max, rather than letting later events outline them through difference. Still, I have no idea what I'm complaining about, because it's still a much tighter and probably more profound work that I enjoyed immensely.

I think I agree with you there, Gorm. I found myself wondering at points why she was so into Max. Something to help establish that would have been nice.

I was a little disappointed by the final episode of Brian K Vaughan/Marcos Martin/Muntsa Vicente's The Private Eye, but it was mainly a wrap-up/epilogue type issue, so it'll probably work better on re-reads. The series as a whole was fantastic, though, so I'll reiterate my recommendation once more.

I just got the first issue of BKV's new miniseries, We Stand On Guard, on Comixology. He hasn't failed me yet, so I'm looking forward to this.

I also just splurged on volumes 3 - 12 of Death Note! Yayyy!

Speaking of Brian K. Vaughan, I just started reading Saga. It's great! Fiona Staples' art is amazing.

Saga is indeed great but BKV has a tendency to lose interest/enthusiasm after a few years with his ongoing series. I could tolerate that with Y but it would really hurt if Saga started dipping noticeably

I didn't notice a dip in Y (or Runaways) myself...

In other news, Archie is getting a revamp. Mid-level spoilers in this AVClub write-up. I've never read an Archie comic, so I'm not really invested, but I did think "aw, that's a shame" until I saw Fiona Staples was doing the art for the first three issues. Also Mark Waid is writing, and he's well thought-of, I think?

There were problems with Ex Machina at the end, but it was more on Tony Harris' side of things. Everything felt/looked rushed.

Yeah, thinking back now I should have said Ex Machina rather than Y. The art was indeed pretty weird in the last couple arcs but the story itself seemed like a mad dash to tie things up neatly. As for Y, I just think I never really clicked with that book.

On another topic entirely, I just read We3 for the first time and it was god damn excellent. Maybe one of the best mini-series ever. I'm not always a fan of Morrison but We3 is something very special indeed.

On another topic entirely, I just read We3 for the first time and it was god damn excellent. Maybe one of the best mini-series ever. I'm not always a fan of Morrison but We3 is something very special indeed.

Dog is gud? Gad, that book hit me right in the PETA-parts.

Anyone pick up Locke & Key? I got the six trade box set for Christmas last year and I've read it three times since. Totally out of left field for me. I didn't know who Joe Hill or Gabriel Rodriguez were, but damn I'm compelled to collect everything they do from now on. Creepy gory goodness gracious. 

We3 is so good. 

There was talk a few years ago that a movie adaptation was being worked on.  As much as I love that comic, I kinda think a movie of that would be a weird thing.  If it's not marketed just right, I could see a lot of parents deciding to take their kids to see We3 and walking out of that thing horrified.

Since you got me thinking of that, I just googled it and saw that apparently James Gunn keeps throwing around the idea that he desperately wants to direct We3, and that sounds like something I'd fucking love to see.

Anyone pick up Locke & Key? I got the six trade box set for Christmas last year and I've read it three times since. Totally out of left field for me. I didn't know who Joe Hill or Gabriel Rodriguez were, but damn I'm compelled to collect everything they do from now on. Creepy gory goodness gracious.

Yeah I really liked Locke & Key(and We3 for that matter). I think it might be a good thing to not know who Joe Hill is going in, I at first recommend the series to some people and when I told them it was by Stephen King's son they were immediately sceptical.

Anyone pick up Locke & Key? I got the six trade box set for Christmas last year and I've read it three times since. Totally out of left field for me. I didn't know who Joe Hill or Gabriel Rodriguez were, but damn I'm compelled to collect everything they do from now on. Creepy gory goodness gracious. 

Make sure you pick up Hill's novels as well. They're how I initially encountered him and they're every bit as good. Heart-Shaped Box is so good my mom liked it, and she hates horror.

Yeah I really liked Locke & Key(and We3 for that matter). I think it might be a good thing to not know who Joe Hill is going in, I at first recommend the series to some people and when I told them it was by Stephen King's son they were immediately sceptical.

Yeahhh, I can see how that could happen. I likely would have been the same way, but I found out more than halfway through the series.

Make sure you pick up Hill's novels as well. They're how I initially encountered him and they're every bit as good. Heart-Shaped Box is so good my mom liked it, and she hates horror.

Sold! I've got NOS4A2 on hold at my library.

Since you got me thinking of that, I just googled it and saw that apparently James Gunn keeps throwing around the idea that he desperately wants to direct We3, and that sounds like something I'd fucking love to see.

Ah! I didn't recognize his name at first, and I would've been wary of anyone wanting to direct a live-action We3 but then I saw Troma movies AND Guardians of the Galaxy in his filmography and now I think you're right-- he's kiiinda perfect for the job.