nikasaur

Comics Extravaganza - Pow Bang Smash!

I haven't read the mini, but I did read a lot of Hardware back in the day which is where the character comes from. Man I really miss Dwayne McDuffie.

(Also, I have a job interview tomorrow, if that goes well and I get the job I'm totally preordering Bryan Lee O'Malleys "Seconds".)

I just bought this and am really enjoying it so far. Looks great, recognisably O'Malley storytelling but without the video game layer, occasionally a touch of Chris Ware too. Lovely!

I really liked it. I definitely found it to be one of those books that I liked in spite of the main character (which is also the way I felt about Scott Pilgrim actually). Also, the colors are great. Nathan Fairbairn is fantastic.

I haven't read the mini, but I did read a lot of Hardware back in the day which is where the character comes from. Man I really miss Dwayne McDuffie.

Oddly it doesn't actually focus on the title character all that much, instead following a transgender Police Lieutenant investigating disappearing trans sexworkers. I only got part way into issue 2 so far but I appreciate that it even tries having a strong trans hero

Also out today: MOTHERFUCKIN' TEEN DOG YEEEEEAAAAAAH

...I forgot to preorder Teen Dog.

Either I follow the artist on Tumblr or I follow on of their friends reblogging the artwork, because I know I've seen Teen Dog before.

Does anybody have any thoughts on the Humble Star Trek Comic Bundle? 

Either I follow the artist on Tumblr or I follow on of their friends reblogging the artwork, because I know I've seen Teen Dog before.

It's Jake Lawrence aka timecowboy.

Does anybody have any thoughts on the Humble Star Trek Comic Bundle?

Burden of Knowledge is good, other than that I'm not familiar with everything else. I wish the John Byrne stuff was in it, specifically Leonard McCoy: Frontier Doctor which is great. Also regarding Star Trek comics, I'm really excited to pick up the new City on the Edge of Forever book when it's done and collected.

I read Batgirl Year One a while ago and liked it, but I honestly don't remember anything about it other than the Marcos Martin art being fantastic like usual so that might not be a good sign for the actual story.

I haven't read the Batgirl Adventures book, but the Batman Adventures books were good, especially if you like the animated series as they were in the same style and by the same writers, like Paul Dini.

Has anyone here read "Through the Woods" by Emily Carroll? I'm on the fence about putting through an amazon order for it, as I have become averse to spending money.

Worth it. Carroll is one of the top cartoonists in the field right now and it comes out with Through the Woods. Each story is exponentially stronger than the last and Carroll does a wonderful job utilizing the medium's strengths.

If you don't want to spend the money, get it from your library.

EDIT: My copy of Beauty came in!

ByP8Eb8CYAET1vW.jpg

i may have mentioned it, but Dotter of Her Father's Eyes was excellent. It is rare that I will read something so thoughtful.

Now i can't find my copy though, i think it got buried last time i did a huge room cleanup:(

Hey dudes who collect single issues: I don't know when they started selling them, but Wal-Mart has these nice document frames for like three bucks that are just slightly larger than a comic book. I cut a few pieces of bristolboard to fit and then cut a space for a comic into three of them. It looks super nice for something that only cost me about four dollars to make.

ftCWzTr.png

Super rad!

Tegan, I love love love "Through The Woods." I think Emily Carroll is one of the best people doing comics right now. Her free horror stuff has always been great (get excited for the yearly Halloween post!), and Through The Woods is incredible as well. If you haven't read "His Face All Red," that's free, and all the other stuff in the collection is just as good or better (I'm partial to "The Nesting Place").

I've been going through my minicomics this week because I need to get rid of some and I've been coming across some things that I forgot I really, really liked. People like Antoine Cosse and Alabaster whose names were only vaguely familiar, but whose work I really love. I think J.1137 is my favorite of Cosse's comics that I own. It's this fun little sci-fi pulp story about a robot actor who visits an open air slave labor prison camp thing and suffers the consequences of going somewhere he shouldn't. Alabaster has a series called Mimi and the Wolves that's pretty good so far, but apparently ongoing. She did a really good retelling of one of Horus' origin stories in Eye of Horus, too. Beta Testing the Apocalypse by Tom Kaczynski was a really great collection, but everything by Kaczynski is great. Big Busty Psychic Celeb Votes Satan by Ben Urkowitz was a really interesting look at fame in America, and also it's printed in pink and white so that's pretty great. I stopped for the night while rereading Secret Prison 7, which is a collection of essays and comics inspired by a Japanese underground anthology named Garo! It has a really interesting essay on Seiichi Hayashi that reminded me I want to read more than just Red-Colored Elegy by him. I also have a lot of really terrible comics that I need to figure out what I'm gonna do with.

I'll have to check out Wal-Mart for some document frames or something, too. I have some subscriptions to small presses (which is why I have too many comics in the first place) so I get prints from them every now and then. I just have them in a pile, but I should actually display a few. Then again, I bought a frame for a John Campbell comic over a year ago and it's still just sitting on a table in a too big frame with a post-it note that says BUY MATTING on it, so...

J.1137 was my comic for 2013. Breakthrough Comics in general have become one of THE minicomic pub' company to watch out for; it's a damn shame you have to import them and it's so pricey.

I was excited when Fantagraphics decided to publish a collection of Kaczynski's short stories. Kaczynski's Uncivilized Books is another great comic pub' company. UB's fall release is something to watch out for.

Speaking of Retrofit comics, Theth by Josh Bayer and Number 2 By Box Brown = good shit.

I think Ryan Holmberg did a nice essay on Seiichi Hayashi. Also, Breakthrough Comics re-print one of Seiichi Hayashi's short stories.

Isn't Uncivilized Press collecting Eel Mansions and releasing it this fall? I might end up buying that even though I have the singles just to have a second copy of it that's easier to read. It was a really phenomenal book. I think the only thing I've disliked from Uncivilized is Truth is Fragmentary and that probably has more to do with my taste than the quality of the book.

I have Theth and Number 2 in my to read pile of comics -- they've just come in the mail and been thrown on the pile. I hope to get around to them this weekend. I've been really lazy about reading comics because life, but it's good to know that they're quality! Some Retrofit stuff is a little not great.

Isn't Uncivilized Press collecting Eel Mansions and releasing it this fall? I might end up buying that even though I have the singles just to have a second copy of it that's easier to read. It was a really phenomenal book. I think the only thing I've disliked from Uncivilized is Truth is Fragmentary and that probably has more to do with my taste than the quality of the book.

I have Theth and Number 2 in my to read pile of comics -- they've just come in the mail and been thrown on the pile. I hope to get around to them this weekend. I've been really lazy about reading comics because life, but it's good to know that they're quality! Some Retrofit stuff is a little not great.

It is and Uncivilized is also releasing David B's Incidents in the Night Book 2, MariNomi's Dragon's Breath, Joann Sfar's Pascin (I've been waiting for this to release), Lewis's True Swamp vol 2 (one of the best comics that deals with existential dread but through swamp critters) and I just ordered Caitlin Skaalrud's House of the Holy because it looks and sound fascinating. I'm also glad that Kaczynski's Cartoon Dialectics Vol. 1 is being sold though it was originally OOP.

I agree, some of the Retrofit can be rather shit, though they are few and far. I am really excited about Antoine Cossé new comic and a comic from Akino Kondoh!