nikasaur

Comics Extravaganza - Pow Bang Smash!

I've only read the online version, which is the only version I can access, since I don't think legal digital manga distribution is going to happen easily because it's a different distributor for each country, making it a nightmare.

They well places that do sell digital manga seem to have it region locked. :|

Daaaaang. I read it online for a while, though I still stress that the sadly out of print ADV volumes are by far the best version. I bought volume 6 when Yen Press started publishing it, and actually stopped because the translation had lost so much charm.

I've decided that this week I'm finally going to take the plunge and buy a drafting table that I've been eyeing on amazon, and while I'm at it I figure I'll grab the Speed Racer manga that's been on my wishlist forever. I'm a sucker for exquisite hardcover boxed sets and vintage manga.

jtVIK4i.jpg

It's already been mentioned a few times, but I figured I would bring up The Private Eye by Brian K. Vaughan as the 6th issue is out and the first 5 issues are now collected in one digital trade, so if you haven't checked it out that's a good way to get it for $0+.

I got bored and put all of my Tezuka books on the floor* and took pictures of them.

R10uUz0.jpg

Shf82QC.jpg

*not counting artbooks, essays, duplicates, or non-English versions. This is every English Tezuka book except for Metropolis, which I can't find anywhere for less than seventy bucks.

I figured I would bring up The Private Eye by Brian K. Vaughan as the 6th issue is out

Hooray, thanks for the heads up!

I got bored and put all of my Tezuka books on the floor* and took pictures of them.

R10uUz0.jpg

Shf82QC.jpg

*not counting artbooks, essays, duplicates, or non-English versions. This is every English Tezuka book except for Metropolis, which I can't find anywhere for less than seventy bucks.

1. 18.99 here http://www.amazon.com/Metropolis-Osamu-Tezuka/dp/1569718644/

2. What's the Tezuka manga on the lower left?

3. Does your collection include The Crater kickstarter manga?

1. All the cheap copies there are used ones with wear. I'm looking for something in good shape.

2. Apollo's Song. It was later reprinted in two separate volumes, but I have the one-volume version with the awesome Chip Kidd cover that uses a small strategically-placed dustjacket. It's a really great, incredibly weird, overtly sexual read.

S7hWEna.jpg

3. I missed the Kickstarter, but I'm kind of glad that I did. The books were supposed to go out last summer, but nobody's gotten anything yet and the publisher hasn't made any statements or responded to any messages since January. It seems like they either bit off more than they can chew or just took the money and ran.

It's already been mentioned a few times, but I figured I would bring up The Private Eye by Brian K. Vaughan as the 6th issue is out and the first 5 issues are now collected in one digital trade, so if you haven't checked it out that's a good way to get it for $0+.

Never heard of it but I do like Brian K. Vaughan. I'll check it out!

1. All the cheap copies there are used ones with wear. I'm looking for something in good shape.

2. Apollo's Song. It was later reprinted in two separate volumes, but I have the one-volume version with the awesome Chip Kidd cover that uses a small strategically-placed dustjacket. It's a really great, incredibly weird, overtly sexual read.

S7hWEna.jpg

3. I missed the Kickstarter, but I'm kind of glad that I did. The books were supposed to go out last summer, but nobody's gotten anything yet and the publisher hasn't made any statements or responded to any messages since January. It seems like they either bit off more than they can chew or just took the money and ran.

1. Ah, okay.

2. Oh fuck, need to get that.

3. Ouch! I'm glad I missed that starter too...

Also, just did an advance review for Genesis by Nathan Edmondson, Alison Sampson, & Jason Wordie

http://the9thblog.blogspot.com/2014/04/advance-review-genesis-nathan-edmondson.html

I'm not sure why exactly but I feel I much preferred the black and white style of Bone to the way Tüki looks. I'm not sure but perhaps it feels like the fine detail line work he does works better when there isn't the colour distracting from it.

Actually looking at the buffalo stampede and comparing it to the cow race in Bone I think maybe he's just not finishing the artwork to the same level of polish.

Jeff Smith's work in general is kind of all over the place. Bone is great, but then you have stuff like his run on Shazam with the terrible child anatomy. This has an interesting premise so far, though.

I was just about to start reading the Hellboy comics from the last Dark Horse sale and now they have The Goon sale...

And Comixology is having an Oni Press sale, I'm at least getting Wet Moon.

There is also a Mad Magazine sale of only the first 23 issues, I'm not sure I'd get the references, but boy do I love the style these comics had back then, has anybody read early Mad Magazines? They seem to be before my time and the humor is pretty referential. :|

And Comixology is having an Oni Press sale, I'm at least getting Wet Moon.

Whoa, the second volume of Sharknife actually came out? *Googles* Looks like it was released in 2012, seven years after the first one. Goddamn.

In other news, I got my Speed Racer! The corner of the slipcase got dinged in shipping (boo), but it's still a gorgeous set. I have no idea where to put it.

For anyone who has an interest in paper books, http://www.instocktrades.com/  has some pretty good sales for the month of April.  All DC books are 45% off, all books from Archaia, BOOM!, and IDW are 38% off.  I'll probably end up placing an order at the end of the month after the new deluxe hardcover of Daytripper comes out, but I imagine I'll be getting a lot more than just that like the newest Parker book and some Vertigo stuff. 

For those that don't recognize the non DC publishers, Archaia does a bunch of independent series' as well as a few licenced books liek Planet of the Apes, but their best things to pick up would be the Eisner winning and absolutely gorgeous books Tale of Sand based on a long lost screenplay by Jim Henson, and The Return of the Dapper Men by Jim McCann and Janet Lee.

BOOM! Studios do a bunch of licensed books like all the Adventure Time comics as well as original series' like Irredeemable and Incorruptible by Mark Waid (Kingdom Come) which get a lot of hype, though I haven't read any of them.

IDW do a whole lot of licensed books based on TV shows like Angel and Star Trek, a ton of reprint collections of old comics like Dick Tracy and Popeye, a lot of art books, and they they also some really good original books like Joe Hill's Locke & Key and the Darwyn Cooke Parker books which are amazing.  They also do Artist Editions of old books like The Spirit by Will Eisner which are big books where scans of the original art is reprinted on the original full size art board so it looks like the original art.  Here's an example.  Unfortunately these aren't on sale, though I guess that's a lot to ask as they're all $100-200.

Whoa, there's a lot of good stuff on sale on that site for slightly lower discounts too. Is everything on the site discounted or what?

Speed Racer is surprisingly rad. There's this fantastic foreward by Peter Fernandez about his work localizing the Speed Racer anime, which is absolutely astonishing. The budget would only allow for three voice actors, he didn't know that the title was a pun, and he accrued like $400 in parking tickets over the course of the series and had to have his lawyer get him out of jail. That alone would be worth it, but it turns out that Speed Racer has aged much better as a manga than as an anime. the sense of speed and the gorgeous depictions of cars are so great. I also like how the first chapter presents Pops as the angriest man alive.

Whoa, there's a lot of good stuff on sale on that site for slightly lower discounts too. Is everything on the site discounted or what?

Yeah it's kind of like their thing, they have another site for buying comics called discount comic book service, but I've never used it since single issues I pretty much only get digital.

I finished Speed Racer today! I feel it holds up really, really well; but there's one really weird instance where the same dozen or so pages are reused, panel for panel, for two different chapters. It's the only time any material is reused in the entire series, so it's really jarring.

Also, I like how Racer X waits until the last page of the entire series to reveal that he's Rex Racer and be all "NOW WE ARE A FAMILY AGAIN." It's the best.

It's too late since the sale is over, but I loved what I've read of Hellboy so far! I like that it's mostly short stories and apart from one saga that's a part of several short stories, you could pick up any issue and not worry about what's going on.

Was the homunculus in the movies? The mist man appears, but I don't remember his original, maybe his original was in the B.R.P.D. comics? I think the homuculus is more active there too, but I'm not sure.

Anyone near San Francisco , Mission Comics is having Simon Roy, Brandon Graham and Robin McConnell on April 19th.

It's too late since the sale is over, but I loved what I've read of Hellboy so far! I like that it's mostly short stories and apart from one saga that's a part of several short stories, you could pick up any issue and not worry about what's going on.

Was the homunculus in the movies? The mist man appears, but I don't remember his original, maybe his original was in the B.R.P.D. comics? I think the homuculus is more active there too, but I'm not sure.

Roger wasn't in the movies. I can't remember where the good Dr. comes in, it's been a while since I've read any hellboy.  I do like it for the same reasons, short enclosed stories for the most part.  The Hand of Doom stuff being the obvious exception.

Oh my goodness gracious, the first issue of Lumberjanes is out today. I bought it and read it and now I'm really excited to see where it goes next. You should probably check it out.

So weird to go to a comic shop to buy a comic where literally every character is a strong female character and then see the guy at the counter stick this flyer with a super trashy Vampirella cover in the bag with it.

EKUJnOU.jpg

Also, the East Coast Comic Expo is coming to this city in May and Kate Leth's going to be there. I really hope I can go.

Heh, that is kinda hilariously weird, has Vampirella ever even been good? Even in a cheesy way? I've not enjoyed the few issues I picked up from sales.

Between reading the new 52 Batgirl comics and watching Arrow I'm becoming more and more interested in DC, but I've heard some concerns as to how good the rest of the new 52 line-up is. Has anyone here read any of the other titles in that line-up? Anything worth checking out?

I'm not usually much for superhero comics, and maybe it's because I just finished reading Speed Racer, but the new Ghost Rider looks like something I'd genuinely like. This artwork is amazing.

zWrNhTw.jpg

Also, call it sacrilege, but I really like that they swapped out his motorcycle for a Dodge Charger.

Between reading the new 52 Batgirl comics and watching Arrow I'm becoming more and more interested in DC, but I've heard some concerns as to how good the rest of the new 52 line-up is. Has anyone here read any of the other titles in that line-up? Anything worth checking out?

I'm pretty sure Batwoman was part of the new 52 deal. I really liked what I read of that, though I believe the original creative team walked out last year because of DC's renowned level of poor management. Frankly I feel that the best way to enjoy DC stuff is still to just watch the Dini/Timm produced animated series and consult Wikipedia every so often to fill in the gaps.

Don't know if there are Charles Forsman or Noah Van Sciver fans here BUT:

http://www.oilycomics.com/digital-comics

Oily comics now have digital comics for sale and for a good price too!

Retrofit and Uncivilized comics are putting out some amazing comics too:

http://retrofit.storenvy.com/

http://www.uncivilizedbooks.com/