Salka

Doctor me up, Thumbs

So...

All tests came back fine (I'm not diabetic, celiac, anaemic) EXCEPT B12, which was slightly low. The doctor said she said she feels that it's just a coincidence that we found this out during routine tests and that it isn't the cause of my symptoms, because it's not THAT low, however she's told me to take a strong B12 supplement every day for a month and then they'll test my B12 levels again to see if they've improved. Given my diet she also feels that my B12 shouldn't have been as low as it was, but we'll find out more about that in a month I guess.

In the meantime if symptoms get worse I should go back to her. If my B12 levels are improved by the end of the month but I'm still getting the same symptoms, the next step is a Neurologist.

!??!??

MOST BORING, SLOW-MOVING MEDICAL DRAMA EVER.

Tune in next month.

Although maybe these B12 pills will magically stop all the tingling and actually, embarrassingly, it will all just be that I wasn't eating enough cheese.

Hmm, I wish i had something helpful to suggest, I can relate with the fear of not knowing what's going on.

Another way to look at this is that so far, nothing serious has been discovered and that this makes the possibility of this being perhaps anxiety related, a stronger likelihood. Although anxiety can be very distressing, it doesn't kill you and can be mastered in time. So although your GP hasn't got any answers for you as such, they have ruled out some serious pathology which is a good thing.

New development... I have an average-looking red patchy rash on my chest, but this time it's tingling. Or burning. I can't quite decide. But it doesn't feel what I'd describe as itchy.

I hate that this shit keeps developing. Fuck you, body. I keep expecting my symptoms to have reached their peak but then new shit happens. Shit that I hadn't even thought of before. GHraGrhaGHarGHarGHargh.

EXCITING UPDATE TEAM HOUSE.

My left arm is tingling and slightly numb, and feels cold. Are there any tests I can perform on myself at this time? Hitting my arm, rubbing mould on my arm,etc

The Doctor told me to monitor it but not necessarily rush to the hospital unless it gets stupid bad (and I've had this numbness before). This is the first time it's felt cold though, and sometimes a bit burny :-/

Cold-y numb AND burny? That sounds like some paresthesia, right there.

(I have paresthesia as a result of some brachial plexus oddness and RSI. Not fun, but helped by medication. Neat side effect of turning me into a moron past 9PM.)

P.S. My brachial plexus oddity was discovered as a result of seeing a doctor about coldness and numbness of the top of my my right arm. I have extra bones, and they mean I can stop the pulse at my wrist by holding my upper body or arms in a certain manner. This has never come in useful and generally makes things a pain in the ass because I have to be careful not to accidentally cut off the blood flow to my hands by assuming the wrong position. Woke up last week with a completely rubbery 'dead' cold arm because it ended up in the wrong position while I was asleep. Vomiting smiley.

Small font because this thread is about YOUR medical oddness, not mine.

WTF you have EXTRA BONES??? How, what?

I know someone who had an entire extra row of teeth. I think they called him Shark Boy.

Maybe I'm the first step of an evolutionary leap between humans as we know them now, and humans with no feet. Foot has been numb all night, and kinda painful to walk on :-(

Subbes has a cervical rib: http://en.wikipedia....i/Cervical_rib.

Take the full stop off the end there, doc!

Subbes: that thing about your pulse sounds exactly like clumsy exposition to set up the scene later where you have to play dead and the henchman checks your pulse on that wrist.

Doctor Thumb, my right leg is now aching and stiff and tingly and has been for about 20 minutes. I've been taking 20,000% of my RDA of B12 every day for a week as instructed by my doctor, during which time the symptoms have gotten worse.

WHAT HAPPEN ;(

Can't see my doctor until Monday now, so any advice would be sweet.

Huh. Erm. Could you be short on intrinsic factor or have Chron's interfering with your absorption of cobalamin?

(B12 is water-soluble, so chances are you're whizzing away most of the excess and wasting money.)