Sign in to follow this  
pabosher

Why are books so goddamn expensive?

I really want the new Kindle Paperwhite to replace my current Kindle (no keyboard kindle) but I really don't like the fact that it is touch, and so probably won't get it. :(

Why, out of curiosity? I have the current generation touchscreen one and it works pretty well.

It seems responsive enough from what I've seen in stores, but I think there's two things:

1) I just really like the tactile feel of button *click*, next page.

2) I think I've found that the way I hold my kindle generally leaves my thumb resting on the screen over to the side. I'd hate to keep accidentally touching it, you know?

I also have more faith in buttons lasting longer than touch-screens in terms of durability (he says, typing on his iPhone.) I don't know, it just makes me super adverse. I also probably have grubby hands, I dunno.

The touchscreen Nook has buttons on the side of the frame specifically for turning pages! I like it. I'm super glad I skipped the generations with a keyboard. I might have killed myself.

I don't use the keyboard that much, but in pretty much every book I read I'll search for something at least once or twice, and even more if I'm reading something like sci-fi/fantasy wehre there's lots of people/places/things and a name get's dropped and I can't remember what it is. For that I use the keyboard and enjoy having real buttons over virtual ones, and the same goes for turning pages. Question: so when I read usualyl I'll follow along with my thumb under the words I'm reading, would this cause the touch screen Kindle to misbehave at all, swiping my finger across the screen under every row of text I read?

A couple of you mentioned that you prefer being able to resell your book, but none of you actually mentioned buying used. I've found that in general I can buy a used copy of just about any book for a pretty reasonable price, even accounting in shipping. Except for very rare books or first editions, I haven't had to spend more than $10-$20 on a book, including shipping. My family library has several thousand books we've collected over a few generations, mostly used, that we regularly buy and sell on Amazon.com, Alibris.com, and ThriftBooks.com.