GameDreamer

Thirty Flights of Loving

Ya, the commentary was great! I liked the familiar tone of it, like a buddy was telling you how he made his awesome game.

I replayed it twice last night. It's still awesome. Then I was able to crash the game during the commentary playthrough twice at the load point before the gun fight. I was able to reproduce the crash... I just take my time, and click on every commentary bubble, as well as anything that moves, or makes a sound (drink every bottle, pick up all the guns and ammo, knock over the ducks, eat a few oranges, knock on all the doors, even click on the "mystery" lady at the wedding.. litterally everything). I was able to get past the load point by not clicking on anything I didn't need to, and was able to get to the remaining commentary bubbles. So ... there is something that causes the game to crash at the load point, somewhere between clicking on everything, and clicking on the bare minimum. :( Wish I could be more specific. If I have some free time this weekend, I'll try to narrow it down.

Wait, you can get past that load point in commentary mode? I crashed there 8 times before deciding to just wait for an update. Ugh, why does something so awesome have to be so crashy?

Yeah, I just reinstalled and went through all the commentary, some pretty insightful stuff. Makes me wonder how it would turn out if Brendon had more time to iterate considering all the little things he would've changed in hindsight. All the same congrats Brendon, you've wrung almost 2 hours out of me on a 15 minute game and I loved every second of it.

after a busy first week of college playing through gravity bone, thirty flights, puffin and commentary mode all in one sitting was the best possible thing. the behind the scenes video stuff at the end of the commentary is fascinating.

Loving the game~

I started exploiting with things and i found out that in the console there are several commands that work

-Noclip (Gives u the ability to roam around) I found out that there is a debug room in TFOL, At the begin of TFOL look behind u, u will see a wall. Noclip trough it for the debug room :) (I found out)

-God (Gives godmode)

Noticable is that the console is using some sort of "KMQuake2" Engine. It made me wondering, what are all the commands for the console?

Is it the same as in Quake 2 i assume?

I found another command by the way, type in console "thirdperson" To enter thirdperson view :)

I think it would be a good idea for the devs to design the player character, so that we can see ourselves in thirdperson.

Also the command "Give [insert item here]" All the commands remind me of the console in Source games O_o.

AND i found out that u can load costum maps by typing "Map [insert map name here]"

Can someone explain me why all these commands exist?

Well, it's a standalone Quake 2 mod (I believe) so pretty much anything that worked in that game should work in this one the same way. Honestly, I hadn't considered using anything like that in the game as it's such a tightly controlled experience, but I guess it makes sense that they work. As for "the devs should...", it's one dude and he posts here a fair bit, so he may. Don't really think it suffers for a lack of knowing exactly what Abel looks like, but I guess it would be neat to know what Brendon thinks of him/her as. Or maybe the fact that I'm not even 100% sure what the character's gender is is part of the point. I really am just kind of rambling aimlessly now. Still, I am curious to check out that debug room now that I know it exists.

Pretty interesting. If u type in TFOL mode in console "give railgun" Ur actually throwing the orange peelings lol.

And in gravity bone type in "give weapons" So u can hammer everyone in the face for the epic feelingz ^ ^

Big up Brandon for making this awesome game :) Really loving the soundtrack

I somehow managed to miss my cue to take a seat at the table. I wandered around up and down the stairs for a long time before figuring it out.

I discovered that you can jump over the railing at the top of the stairs back down to the original balcony (then down further - to your death). When I finally figured out I needed to sit down, I was holding an orange (you know, on the off chance there was an orange delivery side mission I'd missed, plus narrative wise I'd just done a lot of walking and was hungry).

I somehow managed to miss my cue to take a seat at the table. I wandered around up and down the stairs for a long time before figuring it out.

I discovered that you can jump over the railing at the top of the stairs back down to the original balcony (then down further - to your death). When I finally figured out I needed to sit down, I was holding an orange (you know, on the off chance there was an orange delivery side mission I'd missed, plus narrative wise I'd just done a lot of walking and was hungry).

See what happens when you don't funnel your players down narrow hallways?! you get maniacs with oranges! THINK OF THE CHILDREN! :P

I was slightly confused here as well. Even though I followed them, Anita and Borges seemed to get lost in the crowd pretty easily. I'm not sure there's a way to avoid that, since everyone has the same shape. Maybe they could wave you over when they're sitting down or something.

I got this yesterday (the dev commentary and GB inclusion left me with no other option). What a wonderful little thing! I felt remarkably invested in the love interest. Maybe it's just the fact that I'm away from my girlfriend right now and especially sensitive to anything remotely soppy. The rooftop scene was just perfect though. I'm sure most people can relate to the experience of talking to somebody at just the right time as to change your lives. Also those little moments of happiness and ease that punctuate our lives are really what matter to us. I've never had that exact felling evoked for me by any medium other than literature before (I think Ian McEwan really writes around those perfect little moments and the darkness in his novels is really just a strongly contrasting background for them).

One little bug that I ran into though; on leaving the hideout in the Death Knocks and transitioning to the late tittle card I think I loaded into the geometry or something and was instantly killed A message informed me that I had been crushed. I though this intentional at first, reloaded, the same thing happened, reloaded, everything was fine.

I just played it for the first time. I didn't have a fucking idea what to expect, so I wrote down the prohibition licence number from the plaque on the off chance this would turn out a vital clue in an adventure game. Yeah.

I just played it for the first time. I didn't have a fucking idea what to expect, so I wrote down the prohibition licence number from the plaque on the off chance this would turn out a vital clue in an adventure game. Yeah.

HA! Such a hilarious newb thing to do! (I considered doing the same thing).

Oh shit, after replaying Thirty Flights of Loving the whole thing came tumbling down on me. The chronology of events, the robot appendages of Anita, my OWN weird mechanical sounding jumping, ah, fridge brilliance. I don't get the full story yet, but that's ok.

Pushing the birds into the water is rich,

There's a commentary mode now? Damn I'm missing on things when I don't check up on the forums. This must change from now on, two month hiatus is way too long.

I'll have to reinstall the game right now.

Hell is a combo art installation and science museum, good to know.

Mac version is out now on Steam, so I finally got to play through it and... Wow, this is one of the more vibrant games I've ever played.

It reminded me a lot of Psychonauts, both for the aesthetics at points and also that both play around with compression of time and a sort of dreamscape in the same way. With Psychonauts it's literal, but with this one it's deployed for raw storytelling ends. Really amazing work, and really pithy in a great way (and out of necessity, judging from the commentary stuff).

Only downside was that the jump cuts and color choices kinda gave me a headache after playing through it twice in a row, but I'm willing to just stack that up to my weird head issues.

Whoa there's a Mac version? How do I not know this... Steam itself isn't updated to reflect Mac availability.

Your partner in crime retweeted Blendo Games' announcement!

Yay, Steam updated the game with a Mac Version and I got to play it this morning! (There's no Big Blum Mode, alas I guess I'll never experience that backer benefit.)

I didn't understand a single thing that happened.

I guess I'm a spy? Then I betray my team? Then I rescue the team member I didn't sleep with? Then I sort of escape, but it gets abstract so it's probably a fantasy and really I got gunned down by the cops? And there's no actual spying that happens?