GameDreamer

Thirty Flights of Loving

Having an accusatory gun held to my head by the woman (or Goldblum) I'd grown to love.

That was strangely powerful. At least I think it was accusatory. I just don't know what went wrong!

I think I'm going to have to play it through a few more times to really spot everything. Maybe thirty times.

Also were the

exhibits

in the

museum

actually using a real physics simulation?

All the spoiler tags in this thread make it look like it's been redacted by the military, which is sort of apt considering the seeming plot of the game.

Also were the

exhibits

in the

museum

actually using a real physics simulation?

I'm pretty sure they weren't. I can't imagine that being feasible in the Quake II engine without a lot of effort.

I'm pretty sure they weren't. I can't imagine that being feasible in the Quake II engine without a lot of effort.

I don't think they were "real physics simulation," but from what I remember, I think the player can be

blown away

.IGN.COM

by the

fan things

I don't think they were "real physics simulation," but from what I remember, I think the player can be

blown away

.IGN.COM

by the

fan things

You can, which is awesome.

Forbin, miffy495 - I think I have a one-line fix for Gravity Bone, but I'm having trouble getting my compiler to cooperate. You might be able to copy the TFOL executable + dlls into your Gravity Bone folder and run it, since they both use the same code base.

OJR - implementing an air pressure simulation would probably break my head. That part was done with animations + scripting.

empika - I believe it's audio from a numbers station. I've had that wav file sitting around my hard drive for ages, waiting to be used somewhere.

blown away

.IGN.COM

by the

fan things

The fans will blow you (away) when they're on. You also don't collide with the airplane wing, so you can stand in the middle of it as it bobs up and down.

Hopefully it will be available on Steam as part of a bundle with the game, or separately for people who already own the game.

The best! Can't wait.

$50 backer here, i got the survey email but haven't got a steam key for the game yet.

help?

Shoot an email to [email protected] with your name and email address.

I observed some random people playing this as part of the Lunarcade exhibition in Sydney last night. It compared very favourably to Dear Esther and Tale of Tales' latest work (which is basically an incomprehensible French art film simulator) mostly, it seems, because making it possible to poke at the world and having it respond is a lot more compelling than the traditional approach at making an storytelling-focused experience, which is usually based around layering in things to see and making traversal somewhat complicated using mazes or jumping puzzles.

And then we played Johann Sebastian Joust, which was great, particularly in an art gallery with a big column in the middle of the play field.

I liked my experience playing the game, I played Gravity Bone for the first time shortly before it.

Both games made me feel a bit lost, like my expectations of a first person view game with guns and enemies was conflicting with the game experience itself. Then I found myself peeling an orange and most of those thoughts faded away.

One thing that's neat is that Quake-feeling movement. It wasn't a minute before I found myself trying to strafe jump along and string my hops together. So there's that.

Then there's the excellent music. The wedding reception music in particular had a fantastic Morriconesque feel to it.

I also really liked the colour palate of the game for what it's worth.

I agree with tastycakes above when she says that it compares favorably to Dear Esther, though I think GB/30FOL work best presented that way to people familiar with the first person genre, and that we get much more out of it for our previous game playing experience. Dear Esther is the kind of game I could show my Mom and she would get something out of it. It's an open story to be experienced by the player, while 30FOL feels like it is written in a language best read by those with gamer vision.

Yes, I said 'gamer vision'... deal with it 8-)

And then there is goldblum mode, which was such a treat to try out. I find the expression "a love letter to blank" is overused, so let me say this was a well-received valentine's day card to the thumbs and to their readers!

I haven't bought it yet because I tweeted at Brendon asking if he gets more money if I buy it directly from him and he hasn't replied yet. I suspect the answer is "yes I get more money" but given the convenience of having it on Steam I want to know before I drop my $5 (or my $4.50).

I haven't bought it yet because I tweeted at Brendon asking if he gets more money if I buy it directly from him and he hasn't replied yet. I suspect the answer is "yes I get more money" but given the convenience of having it on Steam I want to know before I drop my $5 (or my $4.50).

Seems likely that Brendon makes more from a direct sale. Also seems like he wouldn't offer it on Steam if he didn't want you to buy it from there!

TychoCelchuuu - I appreciate the support. Either way works fine, so it's up to your personal preference.

George B - I've always had a soft spot for Quake's movement physics so I included some sweet trick jump spots in the first level of Gravity Bone. Most of them result in you falling to your death.

I should also note the Idle Thumbs version of TFOL got updated with the release version's goodies (dev commentary, gravity bone), so give that spin sometime.

I should also note the Idle Thumbs version of TFOL got updated with the release version's goodies (dev commentary, gravity bone), so give that spin sometime.

The inclusion of Gravity Bone is awesome! Also the commentary is awesome!

(Also the game still crashes on the load screen for me ;()

The inclusion of Gravity Bone means I just played it for the first time! I'd tried several times in the past, but for whatever reason it would always crash without fail (on 3 different computers!) when loading the second level. The version embedded in TFOL worked great though, and I was finally able to go through the whole thing. That was really rad! I know that GB was not the first Citizen Abel game, are there any plans to make the earlier things a bit easier to access for those of us who'd be interested to see them?

Jake - Dang, I thought I had the crash sorted out. I'll keep digging.

For anyone getting the same crash, here's a temporary workaround:

http://blendogames.c...g/faq.htm#crash

miffy495 - The earlier Citizen Abel games were more traditional shooty bang-bang FPS things. They're mods of existing games (Quake 2, Half-life), so making a stand-alone version would require all the assets to be swapped out and replaced, which is a fairly monumental task.

Though, if you do have Quake2 or Half-life, they shouldn't be too difficult to get up and running: http://blendogames.com/older.htm

Bought it, installed it, played it, played it again in Puffin Mode. Everything I could've hoped for and more. Wonderful followup to Gravity Bone although it would be nice to have AA in the menu (maybe I missed the option). Yes, the only substantive comment I can come up with is to suggest AA :lol: What can I say, the jaggies were distracting. Truly, though, a game from Blendo Games is always a game from Blendo Games, by which I mean you can really feel the authorship, which is one of my favorite aspects. Moosh already mentioned this back on page 3 but I love how this game doesn't just riff on Gravity Bone. I think my favorite part was

the art gallery at the end. Especially the image of people standing around looking at the slab that said "Thirty Flights of Loving" with the little card next to it, or how a lot of the other title plaques said "Thirty Flights of Loving" then on the next line "Thirty Flights of Loving." I think when I'm less sleepy I'll have to think much more about it.

this new version crashed for me in the airport while carrying the orange

I crashed on exit (After pressing Y) in the commentary mode. I was standing amongst the cats on the stairways.