Chris

Idle Thumbs 65: Dance of the Treasure Goblin

It's a bit of a tradeoff. There are some improvements or changes to the gameplay sequel to sequel that allow me to excuse the loss of atmosphere. It's just a matter of enjoying the games for different reasons and that's okay.

They found Diablo 1 too scary as single player game. So instead of making Diablo 2 coop they made it less scary.

I actually didn't like Diablo 2 exploring so many environments in a single game, because none of them got fleshed out to be what they could have. There's something alluring about being trapped in a limited location, and exploring it in so much depth (LITERAL depth).

I like the exploring of the world as it was done in Titan Quest, but in that game you never really go deep into dungeons. Diablo 2 was a bit of a combination of Diablo 1 and Titan Quest, which I agree didn't work out as some as either of the other games.

It feels a bit weird to explore, and then go very very deep and be instantly back to the top to further explore.

Still worth playing Titan Quest nowadays? I think I got it from an earlier Steam sale.

Crap. I just erased my (brilliant, of course) post. Suffice it to say "I had to build all of this for my research ... and my experiments" is one of the worst lines ever written, in any media. Yet the allure of the treasure goblin has led me to hear it at least 5 times (once per class).

They found Diablo 1 too scary as single player game. So instead of making Diablo 2 coop they made it less scary.

Is this a joke that's flying overy my head? Both Diablo 1 and 2 are co-op.

Still worth playing Titan Quest nowadays? I think I got it from an earlier Steam sale.

It's all right, if you like that sort of thing. It feels less satisfying to me than Diablo 2, but very few games nail the feel of hack-and-slash lootfests as well as D2. Give it a try, at least. I remember some thread at Something Awful recommending the Underlord (http://www.moddb.com/mods/underlord) mod, which I have installed but haven't played enough of to actually cast judgment on.

The joke from elmuerte is a reference to the recent Dead Space 3 quote shenanigans.

TQ holds up extremely well and is worth playing for sure. By the way, the design and art leads who developed TQ are now known as Crate Entertainment. They successfully kickstarted their next game Grim Dawn.

I, for one, would welcome an expansion pack that allowed you to travel to the treasure zone and take your sweet, sweet revenge on all those escaped little buggers.

There's already a game that takes you to that treasure room. It's Gauntlet:

fdlct.png

But I think said little buggers are out annoying people, hence why it's uninhabited.

criticizing the shit out of something and pushing it to be better probably means you like and care about a thing.

The reason I hate most video games is because I love them.

I want to say that when I heard the opening music on my ipod I was so happy that idle thumbs was back, great show guys, glad to have backed you and to have you back.

That Miles Davis interview is awesome, thanks Gormongous

I was playing Dungeon Fighter yesterday and came across this. It's a bit of a bad screenshot, but I was excited to see it.

treasuregoblin.jpg

He has a sack of treasure, he's just knocked down for a moment.

On 23.07.2012 at 9:45 PM, Erkki said:

I think it's worth playing even now