Sign in to follow this  
Moosferatu

D'Artagan ¬¬

I don't have time to write anything more, so I'll just quote what I wrote in the latest news update on Tim Fandango.

Last week Tim Fandango was able to get its hands on a ton of concept art and character renders. I have just uploaded 79 new-old images to the screen gallery. I say "new-old images" because, while I've never seen any of them before, they are all from 2002 or earlier. I'm assuming that Psychonauts has changed a lot since then, so it would probably be wrong to extrapolate to much from these images, but it's fun to anyway. I haven't had time yet to do a detailed analysis of each image, but I have noticed one extremely interesting thing. There are several pieces of concept art featuring a mysterious character named "D'Artagan" or "Dart". As it turns out, he is none other than Raz before he was named Raz and had his look changed. I don't know about you, but I prefer the current friendlier, goggle wearing Raz to the stocking cap wearing, greenish Dart. I'm sure that there are plenty of other interesting tid-bits to be found, and I'll post more as I have time to look the stuff over.

A very special thanks to Ben for helping us get a hold of all these incredible screens!

214.jpg

Enjoy!

The hell did you get these from?

Beware that that link Moos is providing you with is Psychonauts Spoiler City. Most all major characters and locations are seen, and labeled and whatnot in the concept art and screens.

Hot damn! Really! Well ... it's a pretty extreme amount of assets to give out. Doesn't seem DF's style or Majesco's or Microsofts really... maybe they were unleashed at the same time all those screenshots came out unintentionally but Gamespot and IGN just weren't interested in 3000 pieces of concept art...

Same question as above.

Anyway, I wonder if something interest me more in game creation than following the evolution of the design through concept arts... here, the main graphic chart seems to be long arms and distorted eyes. What impressed me the most is that Tim has truly gathered a bunch of exceptionnal artists and made them work in the same direction... I hope the final graphics will honor their works cause there are still a few shitty textures in the most screenshots.

I don't know... wasn't the leak in 2003? All of that stuff was put on the site in 2002 (some of the concept art is dated 2000 and 2001), most of it around e3 of that year. It was really odd, the site had a ton of concept art, but no screenshots what so ever. They didn't even have the original five.

I hope the final graphics will honor their works cause there are still a few shitty textures in the most screenshots.

Most of the screenshots that we have were unofficially leaked in 2003 with placeholder textures, so the final version should be looking a lot better.

This is great. I love the art style of Psychonauts that I've seen so far, and I now consider myself a genuine fan of Scott Campbell. Also whenever I've seen Peter Chan's concept art in the past it's been amazing (some Grim Fandango sites have some awesome designs from him).

But - I can't bring myself to spoil the characters and locations of the game, so hopefully this stuff will stick around on the net and I can check it out once I've played and loved the game itself.

I shouldn't look at all this stuff anymore. I should do a gamer's blackout to Psychonauts as did to Half-Life 2, the last thing I'd want is to see yet another new character in screenshot or preview when I should have saved that pleasure for when I finally play the game.

:finger: to Moos!

Sorry, Trep. :sombrero:

But - I can't bring myself to spoil the characters and locations of the game, so hopefully this stuff will stick around on the net and I can check it out once I've played and loved the game itself.

The only reason it'd disappear is if Tim asks me to remove it, which he hasn't done yet (obviously).

Kingz, what exactly are you quiting?

Also whenever I've seen Peter Chan's concept art in the past it's been amazing (some Grim Fandango sites have some awesome designs from him).

That is because Peter Chan is the man.

Dart looks cool, but Raz certainly makes a better main character. DoubleFine should bring Dart back as an NPC or something.

Kingz, what exactly are you quiting?
Trying to provide Psychonauts news...

as if I ever did that...