Moosferatu

Odd quotes that stick

I recently replayed Grim Fandango for the first time in years and years, and it struck me how much of the dialog is ingrained in my memory. Oddly, the quote that I've had replaying in my head (and out loud if I'm alone) the most is the memo from Don at the beginning of the game:

Thank your lucky stars, and get to your freaking cars! We have a mass poisoning on our hands! Too many dead to assign specific cases, so it's first come first serve! Let's see some hustle out there!

Not a very useful quote, but I love it. Anyone else have any quotes that unexpectedly get chiseled into memory?

"Man is born free; and everywhere is in chains." Jean-Claude Rousseau

No idea why that's stuck in my head all the time, but I do like it.

Due to replaying it a few times and the voice acting just being spectacular, there's a scene early on in the 2000ish game Sacrifice that really sticks with me. You are in the astral plane, listening to the gods bicker over the foretelling of a blind prophet. I remember both the prophecy and a little of what comes after.

Mithras, the prophet:

The gods are four, whose works grow cold;

As one betrays their laws of old;

So dark grow deeds, and darker hearts;

For lost to all are holy arts;

A vagrant comes amidst the gloom;

To seal the gaping maw... of doom.

Charnel, God of Death:

Kill the blasphemer!

Persephone, Goddess of Life:

Charnel! Death is not the answer to everything.

Charnel again:

Yeees... torture also has its merits.

It goes on from there but those lines in particular stick in my head a dozen years later, and if I was a better imitator I could replicate the exact cadence and stresses of the voice acting. It is that clear in my brain.

There it shone

pale as bone

as I stood there alone

and thought to myself

how the Moon

cast it's light

on my heart's true delight

and the reef where her body was strewn

You must gather your party before venturing forth.

Garcia from Shadows of the Damned, upon approaching a new creature for the first time:

"What the fuck is this, sushi with a dick?!"

I always quote that randomly for some reason.

I can hear this quote perfectly in my head, even today. I can also hear the same thing with the opening cutscenes of each Age of Empires 2 campaign.

So! You have come to hear the tale of Frederick Barbarossa? Better order us another round! Maybe three... for you see it is a great tale! But then, everything about the man was great....

One quote from from a game that really stuck with me was something written in Neely's Bar in Silent Hill 2:

holeb.jpg

Dunno why, it just messed with my head a little. I love that game so much.

Kyle Katarn said this over and over again upon encountering enemies in one of the later Jedi Knight games:

"You're joking, right?"

"Faith, the least exclusive club on earth, has the craftiest doorman."

David Mitchell, Cloud Atlas

That bit of aphoristic prose completely knocked me on my ass when I first read it. For one thing, it's just an incredibly well-written sentence. But it also captures my very contradictory and often frustrated feelings about faith, something I ultimately don't think I possess.

Mine is also from Grim Fandango, and equally as useless:

"My scythe, I like to keep it next to where my heart used to be"

There's just a certain elegance to it.

I too say/think "I'm not putting my lips on that" in the context of anything I don't want to touch.

Much more random: "What is your plan Qui-gon?" from the intro to the Phantom Menace game. I had to watch that scene repeatedly as I tweaked & tested settings to get it working on ye olde crash-prone PC.

Finally, as I'm playing through Metal Gear Solid 3 right now, I'm fond of saying, "An [x], huh?" regarding common and/or mundane things.

"A forum thread about odd quotes, huh?"

One of the most often in my head heard Simpsons-quotes is a short on: Mr Burns indecision about "Ketchup - Catsup?" Just on random occasions it would come to mind, I'd hear it clearly, repeat it and be happy about it. Sad thing is, I just found out that 'catsup' is just another word for 'ketchup' and not some cat-stimulant. I always pictured a bottle with a cat on it and some cat-uppers-stuff in it and cats are funny and this was the thing that made me chuckle about it. So, I guess that's dead for me now - or I suppress that knowledge, try to forget.

"Ketchup - Catsup?"

hihi, cats are stupid

I tend to remember the shtickiest of things. "What is a man?", "Master using it and you can have this", etc. Let me try to think of something obscure...

"Congratulations Your Pandimensionalist, Hell's roads are running disgustingly efficient, briskly transporting the damned from one punishment to another with a minimum of fuss."

"Heeey wait I minute, I thought you said-"

"Wait for it... Unfortunately, an efficient road system is the LAST thing you want in Hell."

"You fight like a ..." ... on second thought, lets not go there.

"Your ears are fine, whatsisname, it's what between them that scares me!"

"Go for the eyes, Boo!" etc.

"Your momma sucks dwarf cock!"

"Ketchup - Catsup?"

I do that every time someone says Ketchup (we call it Tomato sauce more often here).

Also, i will generally declare all my tiny problems to be "The wost mess I've ever gotten myslef into". I'm not sure that anyone else knows what it is from, but my friends have learned to expect, and sometimes preempt it.

"Man the turret!"

"It's not the end of the world. But you can see it from here." While somewhat cheesy and possibly borrowed from a shitty song, this quote sets the tone of Deus Ex: Human Revolution really well, in my opinion.

Words to live by. I wonder if they're going to keep it in the enhanced edition.

If they don't they will have revealed a profound lack of understanding of the BG experience.

Argh, my friend, I think the stench of the sewer has taken a liking to you.

If you need a sword to split someones skull, or a helm to protect your own, you've come to the right place.

Every goddamn line of dialogue from that goddamn shopkeep in Balder's Gate: Dark Alliance is forever stuck in my goddamn head.

"Sometimes, when it's quiet, I can still hear the Monkeys".

- Opening Line of Escape from Monkey Island. But I'm a sucker for 'Harris-Burdick' style of sentences

"Love? Love, is for the Living, Sal. I'm only after her for one reason... she's my ticket out of here. "

- Grim Fandango

And in recent books, from people whose view I probably disagree with:

"Experience is a dim lamp, which only lights the one who bears it. "

-Louis Ferdinand Celine, a big bastard, but a genius writer according to a lot

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects"

- Robert A. Heinlein

"Yeeearrgh! I'm cursed!"

- Zelda: Ocarina of Time

Sam: "My mind is a swirling miasma of scintillating thoughts and turgid ideas."

Max: "Me too."

- Sam and Max Hit the Road

"You know what might look better on your nose? The bar!"

- Ben, Full Throttle

"Yes a mysterious shape, a sinister shape a shape fraught with...Shapeness. It must be a plot element otherwise there'd be a better label!"

- Rincewind, Discworld

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5a_6v8HM9cA&feature=player_detailpage#t=434s

(copy paste it because time offsets are not supported)