Sign in to follow this  
Nachimir

The London 2012 Summer Olympics that are in London with Sponsors and will feature Gold, Silver and Bronze Medals

I don't know if it's like this in other countries, but I was thinking about it and there are a lot of people here who will also just watch any event in the Olympics that the US is competing in. Obviously people in every country like to see their team get medals or whatever, but there are a LOT of people, at least where I am who watch events they care nothing about just to see the US beat other countries.

I don't know if it's like this in other countries, but I was thinking about it and there are a lot of people here who will also just watch any event in the Olympics that the US is competing in. Obviously people in every country like to see their team get medals or whatever, but there are a LOT of people, at least where I am who watch events they care nothing about just to see the US beat other countries.

This is like rooting for a sports team just because it's from your town, which strikes me as stupid.

Also the 2012 logo looks like Lisa Simpson performing fellatio.

I remember when the Olympics were in Vancouver, I was luckily not there for that. The only people in the country that seemed to care was people in Vancouver and most of it was complaining about all the people and the price of their usual goods and services skyrocketing.

Yeah, I'd actually forgotten that we had them until my grandfather (who lives there) sent me a team Canada hoodie. It's a super comfortable hoodie, so all's good, but it struck me as funny how little everyone cared even one province over.

Also the 2012 logo looks like Lisa Simpson performing fellatio.

This is one of those things that you can't un-see. I saw it years ago when they first showed the logo off and it's been ruined for me ever since.

I remember when the Olympics were in Vancouver, I was luckily not there for that. The only people in the country that seemed to care was people in Vancouver and most of it was complaining about all the people and the price of their usual goods and services skyrocketing.

I visited (from Seattle) on the day Canada won the gold in hockey. It was an incredible night.

Being able to go home after that made it okay. I'm sure it was hell for those living in Vancouver.

FUCK

I've heard that music used somewhere else, and now I'm going to be going crazy until I can figure out where I heard it.

FUCK

I've heard that music used somewhere else, and now I'm going to be going crazy until I can figure out where I heard it.

Little Big Planet.

I'm in London. I'm excited that we're having the Olympics here. Also I think the Olympics are a Good Thing. Sorry!

You are at the heart of the storm in some ways then I guess. I'm sure your not alone in your enthusiasm but its a feeling that those of us to whom attending was never going to be a option, and to whom the economic benefits will never trickle down will always struggle to share.

I think many of the issues the guys have mention here about the Olympics are symptomatic of creeping changes to the way modern society increasingly operates(globalisation's affect on regional economies, outsourcing of services, corporate invasions of public space etc), but that they only really make the news at times like this because of their stark contrast with the ideals that the Olympics claim to represent.

The Olympics as an economic or cultural stimulus are overrated. It didn't make China a more people-loving country. In the same vein, all the World Championship (soccer) did for South Africa was saddle them with a few gigantic, empty arenas barely useful for anything. I will reiterate what Subbes said: boondoggle.

I think many of the issues the guys have mention here about the Olympics are symptomatic of creeping changes to the way modern society increasingly operates(globalisation's affect on regional economies, outsourcing of services, corporate invasions of public space etc), but that they only really make the news at times like this because of their stark contrast with the ideals that the Olympics claim to represent.

That's an interesting take on it, and I think somewhat true, though the necessity of ensuring good PR and photo ops also exerts pressure for politicians/officials/security services etc. to push those limits further. Perhaps a bit chicken and egg, but a definite amplifier of some horrid trends.

It's also worth remembering that British newspapers like to COMPLAIN. About anything and everything. And ESPECIALLY the Olympics. Hosting the Olympics is an honour, and I'm proud that we're part of that history. It's nice that, for once, something like is actually taking place here, and not some country I've never visited.

I just hope we don't fuck it up.

Little Big Planet.

I've played LBP, but I don't think that's what I'm thinking of. For some reason I want to say it was an episode of Spaced, or maybe Monty Python's Flying Circus.

It's also worth remembering that British newspapers like to COMPLAIN. About anything and everything. And ESPECIALLY the Olympics.

I don't think this is really true, largely the majority of Olympic coverage in the papers is feel good fluff stuff - except on the odd occasions where the story is too big to ignore, like in the last couple of days. Even then, the main piece in today's grauniad supplement is 'our art critics look at sports!'. Then on the BBC, which I think is where most people get their news, any attempt at a critical view is over ridden by relentless DREAMS AND HOPES coverage to an insane degree.

And also, I wouldn't call reporting on corruption, incompetence and some of the biggest pushes of privatisation we've seen 'complaining'.

Edit. although your right that the broadsheets often do unbelievably twee editorial bits that do complain and moan in a hilarious self knowing way that sort of makes me want to stab someone.

It's also worth remembering that British newspapers like to COMPLAIN.

That probably what they meant when they talked about the Olympics having a legacy, we brits will be moaning about it for the next 20 years :D

More seriously I don't think most of the complaint's are aimed at the event itself but the manner in which some surrounding issues have been handled.

I see it as a very positive thing that these issues get highlighted, take the outsourcing of public services part for example. Thanks to the Olympics everyone knows the G4S scandal, but far less people are aware of what (for instance) Serco has been up to.

It's nice that, for once, something like is actually taking place here, and not some country I've never visited.

This is just my personal opinion but London does feel almost a country apart to me. Whenever I make the occasional trip to visit friends or stop off at a museum there, its problems, its extremes of wealth and poverty, its self preoccupation, all seem almost alien to me. Don't take this as a attack on London its not, I think London is a mazing city. It's just that politics, culture, and business (and with the Olympics sport too) seem to at times treat it as if its the only city.

I see it as a very positive thing that these issues get highlighted, take the outsourcing of public services part for example. Thanks to the Olympics everyone knows the G4S scandal, but far less people are aware of what (for instance) Serco has been up to.

Olympic sponsor ATOS is another good example of the wonderful reign of privatization. I think you're right about how the attitude towards London feels, when your in the provincials. Though I end up less level headed when talking about the city generally.

In the same vein, all the World Championship (soccer) did for South Africa was saddle them with a few gigantic, empty arenas barely useful for anything.

And in the same vein as what ThunderPeel said my friend was in South Africa for the World Cup as he has family and friends there and they all thought it was great and loved everything about it except the vuvuzelas.

vuvuzelas.

Why all soccer players should rounded up and sent to a remote island somewhere.