Sign in to follow this  
ysbreker

Defense grid 2 (kickstarter!)

Who here has played Defense Grid? The best tower defense game in ages on PC. In that case you might be interested in getting in on this kickstarter!

I already backed this project and now have a defense grid + DLC to give away. First one to prove themselves worthy gets the keys.

I played the demo of defense grid and i wasn't blown away. It seemed to have such bland art, i really didn't enjoy playing it for a longer session, and i'm a huge tower defense nut. I don't know about this

I'm kind of curious as to why they'd need a Kickstarter... Didn't the original do pretty well? And they keep pumping out DLC? It seems like it's been pretty successful, soooo I'm surprised they need more funding.

Maybe the page actually explains things. I'll read it nowwwwwwww.

I played the demo of defense grid and i wasn't blown away. It seemed to have such bland art, i really didn't enjoy playing it for a longer session, and i'm a huge tower defense nut. I don't know about this

Felt the same, not to be rude to indies trying to make it happen. But if I recall, a lot of people liked it and played it... yet it still didn't make enough money to further a sequel? Maybe it didn't do as well as I think it did, thus not warranting a sequel or maybe they mismanage the revenue?

Then again, if they get kickstarted the people who want it will make it happen, so good for them.

Edit:

Whoa, what? Did you look at those tiers for funding? I have absolutely no knowledge of their team size or costs, but $500k and they'll have a new engine? That's a ludicrous overhead given the type of game it is and the fact there are a variety of super cheap platforms to build on for developers.

Just on that alone, they either don't know how to spend their money wisely, are inflating the cost to get more money, or don't know how to run a fiscally sound studio.

Really enjoyed Defense Grid but you're right, not sure why they'd need a Kickstarter. They're the same folks doing CS:GO... Maybe all the current funding is going that way?

Funding for games is a per project thing, it's not like the old days where you get a contract from someone and use that money to fund a separate game.

The only modern example I can think of is allocating that money into tech you plan to use elsewhere, but hopefully that's justified to the developer/publisher handing you the funds.

I have Defense Grid and enjoyed it when I played it, but imo, WC3 style tower defense games are still way better than the ones where you have set build locations. I didn't like PvZ at all because it was so shallow, the main thing I love about TD games is making mazes.

I have Defense Grid and enjoyed it when I played it, but imo, WC3 style tower defense games are still way better than the ones where you have set build locations. I didn't like PvZ at all because it was so shallow, the main thing I love about TD games is making mazes.

I thought there was just enough of the maze building in later levels that Defense Grid really filled those needs while producing more challenges that go beyond multiple enemy types or simply MORE enemies.

The reason why they are doing this kickstarter is right in their description:

We came up with exciting plans on how to take Defense Grid to the next level and started talking with publishers about those plans. We've been disappointed with the number of publishers who love the game and sequel plan, but can't make the modest indie profit level work in their publishing financial structure. Everyone agrees that DG2 will be successful, but the profits publishers need in order to take a chance are higher than ever.

I did see that, but it still seems weird to me given - and this is just a reiteration of what I already said - how successful their first game apparently was. I'm not saying they shouldn't do this or anything. I'm just surprised.

I'm not a fan of this approach (also used by Penny Arcade) where the actual real goal is a stretch goal several tiers beyond the Kickstarter target. Having stretch goals is fine but it seems disingenuous to build your campaign around a thing that won't even happen if your campaign meets its stated goal.

I'm not a fan of this approach (also used by Penny Arcade) where the actual real goal is a stretch goal several tiers beyond the Kickstarter target. Having stretch goals is fine but it seems disingenuous to build your campaign around a thing that won't even happen if your campaign meets its stated goal.

Really enjoyed the original Defence Grid but I agree 100% with Chris about the way the tiers are presented. They had a fair amount of goodwill left over from the first game, but that this feels like its going to burn through that in short order.

you'll get any new DG content funded from this Kickstarter when development is complete - up to and including DG2

In short if you back it and they don't meet their stretch goal you wont get DG2 even if they do go on and release it at a later date, which just seems a big kick in the teeth. If they removed the word 'funded' and replace it with 'mentioned' it would make tme far less uneasy with the way the tiers are organised. However at the moment it feels like they are telling me "pay for Defence Grid 2, get some maps for Defence Grid instead'

Granted developers get shafted, but looking at where they want to put their money, I suspect any publisher saw that as ludicrous. Maybe they are just getting a raw deal, but if they are very concerned about maximizing profits they should have the knowledge to see the unnecessary overhead they are lumping into this project.

Weird, I had no idea this was even close to coming out.

So it looks like they went ahead and delivered DG2 to all the backers, even though the original KS didn't come anywhere near the stretch goals.

Yeah - am thinking about purchasing it.

I've had the original Defense Grid for free on X360 without playing it. Everyone I know loves this game.

I think this miiiiiiiiiiight be a PS+ game.

It seems a little weird that they have the release date down as 23rd for all platforms but it hasn't appeared on consoles yet. Maybe they messed up and missed the launch date? Maybe it never was coming to consoles on the 23rd

So I tweeted them
https://twitter.com/mark_elmer/status/515191672402345984

And they said next Wednesday in the EU (which is the 1st)

Last months playstation+ games were given out on wed 3rd sept, and here in lies my incredibly loose theory. The release date is WEDNESDAY!

They haven't denied it.

Edit: no I'm wrong. PS+ games are coming out on October 8th :-/ egg meet face

So this is out, has been out for over a week. I had to really hunt around in the PSN store to find it. £20 seems a bit steep, feel like i'm paying for all the multiplayer content i'll never touch.

Its video game season and i have a que of games right up until Christmas to play so i think i'll just wait until this goes on sale. shame. if it had come out a month earlier i probably would have ponied up

Weirdest thing about it though. No one has reviewed it!? okay, okay... ive just looked at IGN and PC Gamer have, but they're the only sites i recognise.

PC: http://www.gamerankings.com/pc/679865-dg2-defense-grid-2/index.html

PS4: http://www.gamerankings.com/ps4/777717-dg2-defense-grid-2/index.html

Looks like its a solid 8/10 game (whatever that means), seems like its just been sent out to die or perhaps they're hoping their sales will come through the word of mouth slow burn.

You know you will own this game through some sale or other in the next 2 years. Everyone of you will. That grid needs defending

I blame Chris Remo

Bonus! It has local co-op.

But holy shit it's $25 on Steam.  That seems...expensive for it. 

I watched the IGN lets play video and they didn't particularly like the multiplayer. They said the game gets locked at normal speed during multiplayer (not sure if that's the case with local), but yeah, very tedious not being able to speed it up when your towers are dominating

Yeeeeeeeessss I've been waiting for this to go on sale as I thought £20 was a little steep. It's over 50% off in the PS4 January sale part 2 (EU).

In the bag mush