FluxW

A new Kickstarter by Pendulo Studios

The Pendulo Studios jump on the crowdfunding train, having started their own campaign related to the game "Day One". It tells the story of Ethan, a young and acid journalist who learns from his doctor that he’s got a terminal disease: he'll be dead before the end of the day. Back home, he finds a capsule and a note: “This will keep you alive 24 extra hours. Come to Paris for more. We’ll find you.”

foto_inicio640_jpg_640x360_crop_upscale_q85.jpg

pendulo-22.png

They're providing a vast array of rewards, including an oldschool "big box" edition of the game, an opportunity to put your own creations (art, music, texts, etc.) in the game, Ethan Grant's Edition of The Devil's Dictionary with his own notes, thoughts and traces of events that happen in the game and even the chance to study a course in Video game Design thanks to Universidad Complutense de Madrid and become an intern in Pendulo Studios.

Check this out for more: http://www.ulule.com/dayone/

Hey, guess what needs to stop happening. A thread for every Kickstarter we like. Could we get a merged Kickstarter thread?

As for the game itself... well.

I disagree, the Penny Arcade and Ouya Kickstarter threads are already three pages long each, I don't think I'd prefer them being a six page long thread with constant bouncing between topics. Not to mention having them separate makes it much easier to see what's actually being spoken about from the new content summary screen.

In terms of this game... the concept sounds fine but I'm very rarely thrilled by the end product in adventure games these days. I'm in love with the Walking Dead, and I found LA Noire much more enjoyable than most people, but other than that I don't remember an adventure game I've been particularly satisfied by in the last several years.

Hey, guess what needs to stop happening. A thread for every Kickstarter we like. Could we get a merged Kickstarter thread?

Why? What exactly is the benefit of having a single Kickstarter thread as opposed to a separate one for each game?

SATIRE

Yeah, there should be a single thread for all the Kickstarter stuff, just like the Recently Completed Games one – that's a great thread! Also, why do we have separate threads for different games that are in the same genre? And why does each podcast episode have its own thread?

</funny closing tag><>/

There are like three or four Kickstarter-related threads; you want a sub-forum for those?

I still don't understand why the Kickstarter threads should be combined (thank you Orvidos for not clarifying this at all) or moved to a different subforum. Those threads are not fundamentally different from those dedicated to other upcoming games or projects.

Also, the game seems quite interesting. I'll need to check out previous Pendulo Studios games before making a decision to back the project, though.

It just seems messy, don't worry about it, I am crazy.

Also, the game seems quite interesting. I'll need to check out previous Pendulo Studios games before making a decision to back the project, though.

That's the problem for me with this Kickstarter - what little I have played of their games combined with what I've read and seen about the stuff they've made just makes me very much not interested in their future endeavours. While the game sounds a bit interesting it also will probably have a busty dumb/smart-girl-love-interest, a nice-uninteresting art style and a danbrownalike story. I don't know, I haven't even played their stuff enough to judge them so harshly but somehow I do not like them quite a bit. Maybe I'm full of bull. Or maybe this:

runaway2_115660.jpg

(God, the things I dislike about this picture.)

As for the game itself... well.

You do realize once the game is released, the Kickstarter thread for the game will be mostly likely be resurrected by the players. If someone creates a new one, I'll definitely complain that they should be merged. For instance, on the long Double Fine Adventure thread, I don't personally see any problem to continue discussing the game in the thread once it's released, since it is already a discussion for preproduction work at this point and no longer the Kickstarter itself.

Also Pendulo Studios sucks and does not know how to design good adventure games.

Haha wait what that's a real poster to promote Runaway?

That's amazing.

So, RPS hates Telltale games. This is a known fact. They always seem to be at least slightly more positive about Pendulo's games (I may be misremembering), but here in this thread are people saying their games are shit. I love Telltale games (for the most part). Does this mean I would enjoy Pendulo games? HMMM.

I've always been meaning to give 'em a shot, at least.

Back when I still actually played a bunch of adventure games, I played Runaway and it was one of the least enjoyable game experiences I can remember having. I played all the way through and I don't know why. I thought it was really, really poor.

Isn't it John Walker specifically that hates Telltale Games? :grin: I played runaway. It wasn't funny (I think it was supposed to be funny) and the puzzles made no sense to me. One of those games where you start using every object on everything, cause you can't make sense of the moon-logic

Isn't it John Walker specifically that hates Telltale Games? :grin: I played runaway. It wasn't funny (I think it was supposed to be funny) and the puzzles made no sense to me.

Yeah I think it's him. I was mostly joking anyway!

Man if Runaway is that bad, I guess I'll forego giving 'em a shot.

Back when I still actually played a bunch of adventure games, I played Runaway and it was one of the least enjoyable game experiences I can remember having. I played all the way through and I don't know why. I thought it was really, really poor.

Hah, my exact experience as well! To this day I wonder what made me finish it. Must've been a gripping story.

The Runaway games were ok, I enjoyed playing them. They are a bit weird though, the writing isn't that great, but it's a nice "story". The story is on the level of Indiana Jones 4 of dumbness and all over the place. The puzzles range from rediculous adventure puzzles to dead simple.

How does it compare to TTG? I couldn't tell because the TTGs are quite different from eachother.

But overal, I wouldn't Runaway on the list of adventure games you have to play. But if you have to choose a Runaway game and Dreamfall, then pick Runaway.

Haha wait what that's a real poster to promote Runaway?

That's amazing.

So, RPS hates Telltale games. This is a known fact. They always seem to be at least slightly more positive about Pendulo's games (I may be misremembering)

Probably. This is John Walker's take on Pendulo:

You may well know the name Pendulo Studios from their horrible, horrible Runaway games.

He sure doesn't like Telltale, but he's not that negative either.

As a Spaniard, I've played Pendulo Studio's games since the beginning, even before Runaway and frankly... I've only enjoyed the Hollywood Monsters / The Next Big Thing series.

There is a reason Igor: Objective Uikokahonia was never translated, that game was DREADFUL, although it was their first game and the Runaway games always seems like they would make better action movies or games than adventure games. It's almost like they wanted to make one but didn't know how? (Come to think of it, Igor: Objecitve Wachamakallit felt more like a bad movie adaptation (of a bad movie) too).

Has anybody here played their latest games "Yesterday"? If they have improved their more serious story telling I might actually care for this project.

Then again, maybe I only enjoyed The Next Big Thing because it wasn't as terrible as Runaway?

Does the site translate or it supposed to be in Spanish? Wait.... it says it's a humoristic thriller? Has that ever worked before? The humor of the site itself is making me break into hives. I don't think I like this idea...

Spain's games have become less cool since they stopped using "Heavy Metal" artists for their covers. *grumble grumble* :oldman:

Has anybody here played their latest games "Yesterday"? If they have improved their more serious story telling I might actually care for this project.

I've been playing the iphone version. At app store prices, I think it's not bad, but general impressions of the PC version are not favourable (it doesn't help its case that it's $30 versus $5 I think for the ios version). On the ios version it does some neat UI things like a button that reveals hotspots, eliminating pixel hunting. And double tapping on a location/object to "teleport" to it (skips the walk animation). Also story-wise, I quite like it though the puzzle design is definitely not great. I have read it is super short too, but I haven't finished it.

as a point of reference, I didn't like what I tried of the runaway series and never tried any of their other stuff.

Well, it looks like all Pendulo studious games are 75% off at Steam, so I'm likely to give Yesterday a shot.

This is probably bad, but I like that you could back Day One, get your name written on Pendulo's wall in paint pen, and then cancel your pledge before the campaign's over. That would be a fairly rude thing to do.

A new screenshot:

dayone1.jpgreal-life-writer-will-become-a-video-game-character-in-day-one-30.jpeg

And the Spanish writer Ramón Cerdà, who claimed one of the 5 "Look mum, that's me" rewards and will appear as an in-game character.