Sign in to follow this  
modeps

Pick my Path

After reading through The Walking Dead (up to volume 9), I got the itch back to read done things I bought but never got around to reading. So, what should I read?

- Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius

- Americsn Gods

- Dark Knight Returns

- The Watchmen

- The Name of the Wind

GO.

You may not like my choice as I thought the walking dead was not that great, but I'd start with The Watchmen, but from what I know of your list, any of them should be solid.

Also, the Sandman series was fantastic, at least the ones I read, so start from the beginning as it's pretty cool.

Oh and if you like super heroes, Kingdom Come was neat and the Ultimates 1 was good, though if you have seen any Marvel movie in the past 4 years, you've seen most of it before.

You are all very helpful. Thank you for all your suggestions.

Just want to second both the core Sandman series of comics by Neil Gaiman and Kingdom Come. The Sandman comics literally got me into comics, and Kingdom Come may be the best mainstream superhero story I've ever read.

As for other stuff, I thoroughly recommend both Ex Machina and Y - The Last Man by Brian K. Vaughn. The first is the story of a guy who gets the power to control technology, but also becomes the Mayor of New York City, and it balances the two in really interesting ways. The latter is about the last man alive on earth after pretty much everything else on the planet with a Y chromosome suddenly dies, and contains some really interesting characters.

If you're looking for something short but worthwhile at any point I thoroughly recommend WE3 - it's only three issues long but affected me profoundly after reading it. Anything I said about it would lessen its impact, though.

Neil Gaiman wrote American Gods, so your suggestion there pushes me in that direction. I started reading WATCHMEN before (not The Watchmen), and wasn't immediately hooked. American Gods I also started, and just got sidetracked.

Here's a question for you all... With all the distractions in today's world, how do you read? I've got 3 kids, a wife, an iphone, computers everywhere, game consoles, other stuff coming at me from every direction, it's hard to stay focused.

Here's a question for you all... With all the distractions in today's world, how do you read? I've got 3 kids, a wife, an iphone, computers everywhere, game consoles, other stuff coming at me from every direction, it's hard to stay focused.

I read most in bed, when other devices are already switched off and other people are already asleep. Really, though, it mostly comes down to just actually deciding you're going to read or watch a film and just doing it for the full duration you planned. I say that as someone without a family, though, so for the most part the distractions that might cause me problems are under my own control. I don't know what you can do regarding your wife and kids other than committing to being a terribly neglectful husband and father - have you considered that?

I don't know what you can do regarding your wife and kids other than committing to being a terribly neglectful husband and father - have you considered that?

Hmm.. No, I hadn't considered that. Interesting thought!

I have 2 15 minute breaks and a half hour break every shift at work. I just finished an 8 day work week, so that hour a day of reading means I actually do get through books at a reasonable pace.

I have 2 15 minute breaks and a half hour break every shift at work. I just finished an 8 day work week, so that hour a day of reading means I actually do get through books at a reasonable pace.

When I'm at work, my lunch usually consists of me eating something quickly while perched in front of my monitor. I need to stop that and add some reading time. Good suggestion.

It really takes awhile to get into The Watchmen but it's worth getting through until the end to realize it's why it's great.

Also as far as super hero stuff goes , the first bits of Authority are pretty cool too, it's a better version of Justice League.

I go to the park and read (and eat) on my lunch hour. Last year I was doing that and reading on the bus on the way home. I can't really read at home though, so I didn't really start reading until I started working fulltime.

I read in large part because of all that shit. I feel it's important to carve out time for one of the few remaining major avenues of culture that isn't totally dominated by technology and spectacle. I don't really have a concrete answer about how to make the time, but that'll be different for everyone.

I typically reserve an hours or so for reading before I go to bed. If you feel overly tired, it's much easier to just put the book down and go to sleep than it is to stop playing or watching a movie or whatever.

I do a lot of reading during the weekends too, when I'm typically away from my gaming computer and sort of willingly bored.

I, personally, just aim to read a little before I sleep each night. Game of Thrones has pretty short chapters, so if I'm tired, then it's just 1 but other nights it's 2 or 3.

I read in large part because of all that shit. I feel it's important to carve out time for one of the few remaining major avenues of culture that isn't totally dominated by technology and spectacle. I don't really have a concrete answer about how to make the time, but that'll be different for everyone.

I find referring to wives and children as shit terribly offensive.

I get through 6 or 8 books a month ( depending on the length ) and don't really go for genre fiction of any stripe ( which are quicker reads I found). It is something I make time for, I find not watching television helps. I also have to tear myself away from the allure of forums and petty internet squabbles, regardless of whatever trailer polygon.com believes they have merited.