Scrobbs

San Francisco Residents!

I'm thinking of whisking the wife away to SF for a week next April (the benefits of working for an airline!) - we've been before a fee years ago but only for a couple of nights so feel we barely scratched the surface of the place. As well as wanting to see more of the city, I'm thinking of renting a car and seeing some of the country nearby. However, no idea where to go or what to see! Is Napa valley worth a trip? Sacramento? Decisions decisions...

If you can manage an overnight side trip, Yosemite is well worth it. It's about 4 hours each way, so it's a rough day trip unless you realllly like driving (admittedly, a lot of it is a pretty nice drive). Lake Tahoe can be nice too, but it's also proabbly not a day trip (and depending on the snow situation may be a very long and/or require chains (but probably not in April, the way weather's been going in California))

I wouldn't bother with Sacramento... nothing against it, it's a nice town, but it's not worth road-tripping to see specifically.

I'm thinking of whisking the wife away to SF for a week next April (the benefits of working for an airline!) - we've been before a fee years ago but only for a couple of nights so feel we barely scratched the surface of the place. As well as wanting to see more of the city, I'm thinking of renting a car and seeing some of the country nearby. However, no idea where to go or what to see! Is Napa valley worth a trip? Sacramento? Decisions decisions...

I quite liked Muir Woods, there's shuttle bus runs from Sausalito in the north bay which can be reached by ferry. I didn't get to go to Alcatraz but I keep hearing how great it is.

You also definitely want to take a few hours to walk around Chinatown and get some steamed dumplings.

Tempting- we spent a few nights there on our previous trip (Denver to San Francisco) and were blown away by it. In trying to balance new places and old- as tempting as it is to fall back in love with some.

Napa valley is nice, but YMMV on wineries. At the right places they're very generous or at least accommodating. The larger, fancier ones tend to have premium tasting fees. The weather hasn't been great lately, but usually nicely temperate.

-1 on visiting Sacramento. Unless you're big into checking out the state capital and related museums, it's sprawling and suburban and not exactly fun. You'd do better to do a coastal drive up highway 1, hit the city and if you're going further north, hit Mendocino area and swing back through Napa. Oakland & Berkeley are worth a diversion if you're into a nicely walkable foodie trip.

Oakland - Uptown area on Broadway - several good places within a block. College Ave (around Harwood) - Ditto.

Berkeley - Plant yourself in the middle of the "Gourmet Ghetto" area and there are a lot of great places to try out.

Or, you can target Fenton's Creamery (Oakland), go to one of several decent places around there and wrap up with award-winning ice cream.

Skip Sacramento -- born and raised there and it's not worth a visit if you have limited time.

Definitely do go to Napa/Yountville/St. Helena if you have time, though, and enjoy that kind of scenery. 

Are the old school San Francisco residents all really big fans of Full House?

Do they look down upon those who make fun of the exploits of Danny Tanner and Uncle Dave Coulier?

So do any San Francisco Thumbs readers have meetups in the city? 

I'm in Potrero Hill myself but still don't know of that many bars/places in Potrero/Mission/etc. 

So do any San Francisco Thumbs readers have meetups in the city? 

I'm in Potrero Hill myself but still don't know of that many bars/places in Potrero/Mission/etc. 

I dont know of any regular meetups or anything, in the past we have met at Dear Mom once or twice. I live in the mission and I know some good bars around here, but not many in potrero . The only ones I think of there are uh, the beer-bar thats part of the whole foods near Anchor, and The Yankee. My favorite places in the mission are like, Cerveceria de Mateveza, Dear Mom, The Sycamore, Uptown, 500 Club, Schmidt's. Theres a bunch of other good places though.

Right! Itinerary set! Flying in on 17th April, staying a week with 2 nights in St Helena (21 & 22nd) to see a little wine country. Now just coming up with ideas to do each day and, more importantly, where to eat - SF seems like a food mecca. Can't wait!

My parents are coming into town next Wednesday through Monday of the following week & I'm trying to come up with things to do with them in SF as well as the central valley.

We're in Davis, and anticipate maybe coming into SF one day to do fisherman's wharf and see the street cars & hit Muir woods so they can see Redwoods. Any lunch spot recommendations in the area of fisherman's wharf that I can take them to?

Other than that day we'll probably stay in the central valley, closer to Sacramento, if anyone has been to any of the wineries not in Napa/Sonoma.
If there are any recommendations for the Sac Area as well I would welcome them.

(I think we're going to hit Calaveras Park. for some more different redwoods.)

Thanks in advance!
(We've lived in Davis for over a year now but have made it into SF for only Day of the Devs last year & to see The Room on Valentine's day this year, so I am not exactly familiar with even the most obvious of attractions.)

I'd strongly suggest ditching Muir Woods in favor of the Armstrong Redwoods State Natural Preserve. It's infinitely less crowded, if a little further away. Rather than Fisherman's Wharf, which is awful, I'd suggest a day trip up through the Marin/Sonoma area. Up 101, then along the russian river gets you to Armstrong. Then you can come back down the coast via Highway 1 through Point Reyes Station and Stinson Beach, then loop back to 101 to get back into SF. Along highway 1 are several oyster farms (Hog Island, Tomales Bay Food Company), or there're a bunch of restaurants in the towns along the way. I'd also recommend Wild Flour Bakery in Occidental on the way back down. They have some good fresh breads for sale, and also sticky buns. It's a pretty solid day trip.

I will definitely keep that in mind tabacco.  My parents hate big cities, so they may actually prefer that to doing any of the touristy things in SF.

I'll second avoiding Fisherman's Wharf. You are definitely stuck with the worst eating options in the city by a long shot.

I'd strongly suggest ditching Muir Woods in favor of the Armstrong Redwoods State Natural Preserve. It's infinitely less crowded, if a little further away. Rather than Fisherman's Wharf, which is awful, I'd suggest a day trip up through the Marin/Sonoma area. Up 101, then along the russian river gets you to Armstrong. Then you can come back down the coast via Highway 1 through Point Reyes Station and Stinson Beach, then loop back to 101 to get back into SF. Along highway 1 are several oyster farms (Hog Island, Tomales Bay Food Company), or there're a bunch of restaurants in the towns along the way. I'd also recommend Wild Flour Bakery in Occidental on the way back down. They have some good fresh breads for sale, and also sticky buns. It's a pretty solid day trip.

We did the first half of this yesterday and it was a big hit with my parents. Like I said before, they don't like big cities and I think trying to go into SF with them would have been actually kind of a headache. Thank you for the recommendation! We did end up eating at a Guy Fieri restaurant in Santa Rosa which was pretty embarrassing.

Thanks for everyone who posted in this thread!

I am going to Crescent City, CA for President's Day weekend, driving up from my new home in Santa Barbara, CA.

I will be in San Francisco Thursday night 2/16!  I will be seeing a play at 8pm, but will be around for most of the afternoon if anyone has any tips not yet listed (or would be around to meet up!).

On Friday morning I have been encouraged by the friend that I'm meeting to take a lot of stops between SF and Crescent City along the coast.  Are there any must-see quick stops?

Thanks everybody!

(Also, would it be worth it to drive to SF during GDC solely for the thumbs meetup?)

I am in San Francisco right now.  Hi!

I had to beg for a room from one of the people I vacationed with after realizing I couldn't drive what would have been 15 hours in one flooded rainy day.

The Mission is cute.  Lego Batman was cute.  Goodnight, SF!