Scrobbs

San Francisco Residents!

Also if anyone is interested I might bring a prototype of my bomberman-inspired board game, but unfortunately the project at current stage is stuck between two rather different versions -- old version should still be playable, though.

Oh man, now I want to paint little Bomberman figurines.

San Francisco is fun so far, but my hotel is in a relentlessly commercial part of town. There is no need for a Bugatti store to exist.

Musee Mecanique was awesome! I might even go back there a second time during my visit. I saw that today, and then took a stupidly long walk through relatively boring streets, after I failed to get on 4 consequtive old cable cars near fishermans wharf. At least I saw a bit of Chinatown, little italy and union square.

Tomorrow will probably check out mission and castro districts (might also go to Dear Mom), and maybe to the Exploratorium, Cable Car museum, castro theatre, but the latter seems to be hosting a silent film festival while i'm in the city.

Musee Mecanique was awesome! I might even go back there a second time during my visit. I saw that today, and then took a stupidly long walk through relatively boring streets, after I failed to get on 4 consequtive old cable cars near fishermans wharf. At least I saw a bit of Chinatown, little italy and union square.

Tomorrow will probably check out mission and castro districts (might also go to Dear Mom), and maybe to the Exploratorium, Cable Car museum, castro theatre, but the latter seems to be hosting a silent film festival while i'm in the city.

The exploratorium is fun! For breakfast go the Blue Bottle Cafe. It's about as hip as you can get, being an entirely signless non descript building off a side street in downtown SF with a nigh perpetual line out the door. But it's worth it!

Also I absolutely love Yosemite, hope you enjoy hiking and/or taking pictures, not that you actually need to enjoy either to enjoy it.

Crap. Anyone know how to get internet here with European iPhone 3GS? I bought a prepaid T-Mobile card, because AT&T one said iPhone is not supported. But internets doesn't seem to work, at least not at my hotel -- maybe wrong frequencies. Even 2G doesn't seem to work.

Heh, I was actually at the Exploratorium for part of the afternoon.

The sushi at their cafe? Pretty great (if pricy).

Didn't actually make it to the exploratorium today as I wasted a couple of hours dealing with getting internet for my phone. Now it works, guess it just needed time to activate properly. Saw the Cable Car museum, pretty sweet, had some good sushi at Japantown and then walked the market street from the cable car stops to Castro, which was an "interesting" experience. Castro theatre was great, saw House on Trubnaya Street. Strange to go to the US to see an old Russian movie, but it was great!

Does Japantown still have that crepe place?  Even though it doesn't really make sense it's what I think of when I think of Japantown just because it's super good, it's been a few years since I've been there though.

Oh man, I tried to get on the 49 mile drive today, but totally failed. On foot I saw several of those signs but didn't find them again by car. Having this thing in the GPS would be awesome, but I don't think I have any way to transfer the files to my rented Garmin nüvi. So I tried to look up the route on iPhone/iPad maps while driving/stopping, but somehow never saw those signs and ended up driving aimlessly. In the end I decided to just drive to Twin Peaks. Sadly, it was so foggy that I couldn't see much at all from there. Driving in San Francisco is surprisingly ok, at least with a GPS. There's traffic, but haven't seen many crazy drivers.

I don't really know how the parking system works here -- I hope those parking meters I stopped by to look at the map don't automatically detect my license plate and fine me through the car rental company :)

Also, saw the Exploratorium earlier, that was awesome!

I'm excited about a lot of movies the Castro will be showing in August. Un Flic, This is Spinal Tap, M... good stuff.

I'm excited about a lot of movies the Castro will be showing in August. Un Flic, This is Spinal Tap, M... good stuff.

That Spinal Tap showing goes 'til 11:00

I've not been able to use the Internet much. Went to Yosemite, visited relatives at Bay Area and the computer history museum at Mountain View. I can recommend that as well. There was an thing called the "Lord's Calculator" in there.

That Spinal Tap showing goes 'til 11:00

No one else has got the courage to say so, but I laughed fucking hard at this and will be stealing it for the one moment, a decade in the future, when my friends want to watch Spinal Tap.

I present you the Lord's Calculator, the Kitchen Computer, the famous teapot and other assorted computer history.

post-6047-0-74192000-1374989321_thumb.jpg

post-6047-0-63627400-1374989373_thumb.jpg

post-6047-0-11374400-1374989464_thumb.jpg

post-6047-0-61107700-1374989493_thumb.jpg

post-6047-0-20548600-1374989604_thumb.jpg

post-6047-0-36858600-1374989656_thumb.jpg

The Computer History Museum is awesome, they have lots of cool guest speakers all the time too.  Mark Cerny and Elon Musk both did talks/interviews within the past year.  I'm a member so I go there a decent amount (I also had a job in the gift shop a couple years ago).

I'll be in San Francisco 21-23rd! Anyone up for a little meet up and have some drinks?

I just got back from Europe so would be available, though class starts tomorrow for me making the 21st and 22nd less than ideal.

I spotted Greg Rice last night when I was drinking with friends at Southern Pacific. You would think with a man of his stature I would instantly recognize him, but I was only certain when I saw the back of his hoodie emblazoned with an Amnesia Fortnight graphic.

Now that the date of Chris' birthday has been spoiled I've lost all will to celebrate. Oh wait, no, the opposite of that. Happy belated birthday Lord Remo!