Scrobbs

San Francisco Residents!

I know there are a few on here.

We're planning on coming over to the states in January, hopefully for a month, landing at SF and driving to Tampa, potentially Miami, depending on how we feel. From sea to shining sea, so to speak - but this ain't no Cannonball.

Anyway - what are the temps like in Jan in SF? Are they ok? Or are they quite low? The intertubes say that it can go as low as 5 degrees C (~40 F). Does it usually get down that low? Or is the average a little better?

When I was in SF in January 2010, the temperature was an extremely pleasant 15-18 degrees outside. Perfect for exploration. Wear a sweater or jacket and you'll be more than fine. Of course, I can't name any averages based on one visit.

Hey Scrobbs,

I just moved here a few months ago and so far the temperature has been rather chaotic. It's really hot some times, cooler the next all within the same day. The fog rolls around the city so depending on your area you'll get some sun or a really cold breeze.

I'm from Canada and finding that the wind and evenings here are pretty cool. This is in July so I am assuming January (I was only here for two days in Jan) and it was reasonable for a January, light jacket weather for sure.

Yep, temperature in January is impossible to predict. If it's cold it could get down to the 30s (or 0-5 if you must) at night, but not usually during the day. It could also be super warm and pleasant (Here is a photo I took in January a couple of years ago, for example). Or it could be both of those things on two consecutive days. The best you can do is to check the weather forecast right before you leave.

I've heard T-Mobile's pretty good, but I've never used them. It's a pretty safe bet, though.

Is TMobile the network to go for in the US with PAYG sims?

Tmobile seems fine when I'm in SF. Weather is... pretty much covered! And if you like coffee I recommend trying both The Blue Bottle Cafe and Ritual Coffee.

Scrobbs: TMobile has fairly OK coverage across the states; sometimes you may be off their towers and roaming on another network, but the phone should have an indicator that it's roaming. Check your PAYG tariff to make sure they allow roaming.

(Meet up with Shammack in CA, then me in FL! Tether both ends of your trip with forum members!)

(No, don't actually do that, it's a bullshit idea. Have fun instead!)

Cheers. I plan just to get a PAYG sim when we arrive to not be bummed by US/UK roaming charges (Japan/Aus cost nearly 100 quid!). It would be maybe nice to meet with a friendly face (keyboard?). We're going to be in SF for the weekend at the start (~4 days or so), and then our flight is from Tampa, but we *may* drive to Miami for a day or two. Not sure about that yet.

But yeh, would be cool to meet up if you're free, and we're not doing anything.

Scrobbs, I'm nowhere near Tampa or Miami - I'm in the "taint" bit of FL, not the flaccid shaft. But if you're driving you may pass through. PM me once you have your itinerary more firm and we'll see if I can loom from some shadows near your vehicle.

Then we agree to disagree... and that you are a horrible person with no taste coffee.

But no, I've never tried Philz even though I've heard of it. Maybe next time I get to SF, Christmas or something.

That's funny, I'm by no means a SF local yet, but no one has ever mentioned Philz to me until my buddy came down last weekend and read it in Time magazine or something... I dunno. But glad to know someone whos lived here likes it.

I like Four Barrel as well, but I don't understand the fascination with drip coffee in this city, it's kind of funny to me.

Yeah it's filtered coffee but manually done.

I just noticed that when I moved here that SF (or maybe all of metropolitan America?) makes a bit of a production of it with the filter, stirring, and a thermometer.

Anyway, tastes fine, I'm just surprised not many use a french press as an alternative.

Sweet town though, lots of cafes and bars, it's great.

Odd request time alert!

So I may be in town during the week of GDC this year - I've applied to be a volunteer - and I was wondering if any SF Thumbs maybe would be able to put me up for that week? I'd just like need a couch or something. Just putting it out there in case any of you have hearts the size of whales. Thanks!

Signed up, might be a bit too far away but eh, why not?

It's, really weird though that they're trying this. Frankly I think Google's become a little too big to know what its left hand is doing from its right. "Organize information" isn't that what they do? I can see search, and email, and communication, and maps feeding into that, and how Android feeds into that. This just seems out of left field, like something they've got enough money to do, and if it's not being put to use it's just being wasted right?