FluxW

Crazy Mansion: an alternate take on the MM/DOTT universe

cmb.jpg

A few days ago I've stumbled across Crazy Mansion, another project with a crowdfunding campaign. It's very heavily inspired by both Maniac Mansion and Day of the Tentacle, but it doesn't use any copyrighted things from those games. Instead, it's a completely different story set in the same universe. It's created by Desperate Studios team, who created their first games in the days of C64 and Amiga. You may check this out for details:

http://crazy-mansion.heimat.eu/

http://www.indiegogo.com/CrazyMansion

The GUI design:

gui1.jpg

achmed.jpgpamela.jpg

I wonder if these guys realize it's no longer 1995 and people have ceased to be interested in fan games that look like they were drawn by adolescents. Production values be damned, I'm sure the puzzles will be brilliant though right?!

achmed.jpgpamela.jpg

I wonder if these guys realize it's no longer 1995 and people have ceased to be interested in fan games that look like they were drawn by adolescents. Production values be damned, I'm sure the puzzles will be brilliant though right?!

They said they're still in need of graphic artists, so I believe these will be redrawn. The GUI design and the animations of the mansion in the Youtube trailer seem to be of almost professional quality.

You mean that GUI you posted? Because it's really garish and amateurish. Also, it doesn't matter whether they have an artist or not, there's something wrong when they thought those images wereokay to publish.

By 'they', I'm assuming you mean 'we'.

Haha, no :eyebrow: I'm not affiliated with this project.

I am literally disgusted at this art. Day of the Tentacle defined my childhood. The first of many, many adventure games. The first game to really actually get me into gaming. This is an insult to my childhood. ):

We should close this thread and never speak of it again.

Hey you know what guys, adventure games need all the help they can get. Reviewers are so biased towards any adventure and purposefully give 2/10s. We have to fight back since there aren't enough upper middle class high thinking buyers who were the original fans of the genre and the market is cluttered with shooters that every little kid is bugging their parents to buy, so we should support smaller adventure games like this as a community to keep the genre alive.

Sure maybe their art is the worst garbage ever and the game is yet another uninspired LucasArts love letter, but if we don't support this, we will deter other start up adventure games that we might actually like. Don't do it for the love of games, do it for justadventure.com.

But the detail on the vagina alone...

If only they had the money to hire that artist, they could model every hair follicle.

The only art that doesn't look terrible is the Bernard one, which looks traced.

Also, I can't find any info on Desperate Studios, all links lead to news about this game, if they did exist, they probably made public domain games. Not to mention I can't even access the main site anymore.

Their copy isn't much better than their art...

(that might be a bit cruel, as I get the impression that English is not the writer's first language. On the other hand if they want people's money they need good copy)

They claim to have experience developing for the C64 era, but it just doesn't come across. I feel bad saying this, as I think anyone with genuine enthusiasm deserves encouragement. They need to make a least a couple of small projects off their own back to show what they can do, before asking for $10,000...

All it needs is a bit of plagiarism and we'll have a new Limbo of the Lost

oh wait:

Their copy isn't much better than their art...

(that might be a bit cruel, as I get the impression that English is not the writer's first language. On the other hand if they want people's money they need good copy)

They claim to have experience developing for the C64 era, but it just doesn't come across. I feel bad saying this, as I think anyone with genuine enthusiasm deserves encouragement. They need to make a least a couple of small projects off their own back to show what they can do, before asking for $10,000...

All it needs is a bit of plagiarism and we'll have a new Limbo of the Lost

oh wait:

Why do you think they are claiming to have been making games since the C64 era? So they can claim having a few projects under their belt, so asking for money won't seem so insane?

I just noticed something about the C64 thing, the original Maniac Mansion was developed for the C64, which is probably why they claimed to have worked for it.

Even if this was all true, what does that prove? Remember when the original people who worked on Dizzy remade for iOS and old school fans hated it and the modern people didn't get it? If the last game they made was for the Amiga, even if was brilliant and non made up, they'd still have to prove they can make games for modern systems.

But... damn, now I kinda want Maniac Limbo of the Lost Mansion.

EDIT: Replied to a thing without seeing that the page had changed. Damn it.