bishvabis

What video game or game series would you like to see become a movie?

There have been plenty of movie games but what about game movies? Just out of pure curiosity, what games or game series would you like to see become a movie? Or should that just not even happen considering the crap job they've done so far with movie games?

The Horse Whisperer - A Relaxing Rythm Game

Mass Effect.

Lady Shepard.

Mordin as the love interest.

Musical number as the final scene.

Ship it.

Make a million dollars.

If I completely ignore what Hollywood is producing these days, then I'd like to see these as mini-series.

- Anachronox

- Deus Ex

They could be cut to long movies, but I think it would be better suit for a 6 hour mini series. The Anachronox "movie" cut has cut most action sequences and it clocks in at about 2,5 hours. Unless you've played the game quite some parts come off non-sensical.

But I think it would be bad to simply transform a game into a movie. A movie based on the universe of a game would be much better.

Granted the movies would do the source material justice:

Thief

Stalker/Metro 2033

Cryostasis

Bayonetta

Homeworld

and of course QWOP

There's already a S.T.A.L.K.E.R.-like movie, it's based on a novel with a different name: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0079944/

The game is based on both the movie and book.

Loosely based. I think the environments got some inspiration from there, but probably more from the real-life Chernobyl exclusion zone and more generally soviet architecture. I love Tarkovsky's Stalker, but Stalker: The Game: The Movie would probably be something quite different.

[edit] Also, Thief would probably make a pretty bad movie. In fact, many of my favourite games probably wouldn't make a good movie, or at least something important would be lost in translation. At least not a good Hollywood movie... maybe an European or indie director could make a passable effort at Thief: The Movie.

But I think it would be bad to simply transform a game into a movie. A movie based on the universe of a game would be much better.

I agree with this wholeheartedly. Game stories have different focuses to movie stories, and I think some of the biggest mistakes come from trying to move the exact same story from one format to another.

In the same vein, I'd hate to see a movie about Gordon Freeman, but I'd love an "Escape from Black Mesa" one, from other people's perspectives. Gordon shouldn't be in it at all.

Edited by Karsaroth

Are... are we just going to ignore that the topic creator is a spam bot?

Are... are we just going to ignore that the topic creator is a spam bot?

I'm quite sure I have no idea what you're talking about. ;(

Hey! Bishvabis happens to be a respected member of our community and initiator of great discussion.

On the movie poster is an image of an elephant and a dwarf. The elephant is striking down the dwarf.

I hope they stopped making CoD games and made movies instead.

On the movie poster is an image of an elephant and a dwarf. The elephant is striking down the dwarf.

All Baymanship is of the lowest quality.

In all seriousness, I've always felt there was a good movie somewhere in the Monkey Island universe.

It would be impossible to make now that the Pirates of the Caribbean came out, it's what Hollywood would have made the MI games into anyway, I'm afraid.

"What do you mean he uses his rapier wit and not his rapier? No, no, no, a bottle of root beet won't do! We need a long drawn fight scene!"

Frankly, I don't want my favorite game made into a movie, I'm sure I'll make up some reason to hate it because it will displease me in some way.

Except for "ME musical" and other FUN suggestions: None of them.

Games are games for a reason, with all the interesting games it wouldn't be justified to reduce them to something linear and directed. I'm fairly aware that Idle Thumbs Crew holds this position as well but yeah.

It would be impossible to make now that the Pirates of the Caribbean came out, it's what Hollywood would have made the MI games into anyway, I'm afraid.

You're right. Hollywood has such high standards when it comes to originality.