ysbreker

Meet the Pyro - The last of the meet the team videos

The last TF2 team member has been introduced. Meet the pyro! Glorious!

Valve also introduced Source filmmaker which promises even more awesome fan made videos. I guess it's a question of time till we get a full length movie made entirely in source.

Ha. glad they finally finished up the series. Sadly, I don't play TF2 anymore, it just got too involved with the updates, I almost need a TF2 Classic mode at this point.

Really glad they didn't the answer the question whether Pyro is a man or a woman. Not a question that ever needs answering. :tup:

This was great, but I think Medic was still my favorite. U:

It's a shame at this point I enjoy the TF2 characters much more than I enjoy the TF2 game. I don't really like it anymore. I keep trying! But I just get bored and annoyed within ten minutes. It used to be my go-to game. I don't even think I can blame the weapons and unlocks. I think I've just Had My Fun.

Yeah that might be my problem with it too Twig. But I still love the characters and the art/graphics still really hold up I want to be able to pop in and love it again.

I got to a point where I had played the game so much and was getting so good at it that the flaws were blinding me from the fun. It mostly had to do with me becoming a good spy, specifically, I think. Suddenly, my backstabs, which should have worked, didn't work. I previously blamed it on lack of skill, but I'd reached the point where I knew that was no longer the case.

People complain about facestabs, but in my experience, they happen far less often than broken backstabs. That and various other problems (almost all netcode-related, most likely) were very frustrating, and drove me to quit. Now, I'm no longer good at the game, since I take months off at a time and never play for streaks longer than a week or two. Yet, it still bothers me. HNNNGH.

Valve also introduced Source filmmaker which promises even more awesome fan made videos. I guess it's a question of time till we get a full length movie made entirely in source.

Already announced few weeks ago:

I found "Meet the Pyro" to be quite disturbing...

But all in all I'm glad that they've finally finished all the films.

I think I've just Had My Fun.

I found that myself for about 6 months, then I found a group of people who wanted to play and am having a blast again. I think as the game goes on, having good (and fun) team mates is more and more important to enjoyment of the game.

I wish it was that simple. A good number of the people I used to enjoy playing with still regularly play, and all on the same server. Alas!

I went through, I think, four phases of TF2. An initial period when it came out where I played it a bit but was never enthralled. At some point, about a year and a half before free to play, I sunk 300+ hours into it (oh gods). Then it was just two periods of slowly decreasing seriousness in play. The first one I still played but didn't care about winning or anything, and then the second was just a long stint on duel maps where I'd just chill and talk to people while happening to be in a video game.

Still, 427 hours of a game is not insignificant (though it pales in comparison to people out there), and I hope some day I can rekindle that fire that had me spying for hours a day. Because it really is a wonderful game, so some day, hopefully.

Unfortunately, perhaps my last thought of Team Fortress 2 will be that haun- DO YOU BELIVE IN MAGIC, IN A YOUNG GIRLS HEART.

Aaaaaaaaaargh.

Can i be the disgruntled hater?

I played a ton of TF for Quake and TFC for Half-Life, i even used to run a TFC server, and when i played TF2 as released with the Orange Box, I immediately decided that i hated it and never wanted to play it again. (And i didn't!)

Do love that art style though.

I actually had that same reaction Sno, mainly because some fundamental facts about the game were changed (ie: Medic was no longer an all-purpose killing machine, grenades were restricted, countless other things). I played the beta, put up a

, then didn't really touch it again for a few weeks.

But I decided to deliberate a little, and I got totally hooked. Must have put at least 600 hours into the fucker and wasted more evenings than I care to remember. I think overall it was definitely as good as TFC, albeit in different ways. Playing as classes like Engineer and Spy was far more fulfilling, whereas the others had a lot more depth than you might think after a short amount of play — I originally wrote the skill ceiling off as a fraction of TFC's, but it's actually just as deep (grenade acrobatics aside, which is limited to Demoman).

That all said, the game was getting increasingly over-complicated and I stopped playing after several of the class packs came out because I felt the large number of extra weapons was starting to take away from the beautiful simplicity of the game. Then I tried to give it more one last go a few months ago and it was so unbelievably saturated with crazy weapons and tools I just felt completely alienated and will likely never touch it again.

The changes to the medic were probably the thing that irked me the most, heh. Really, and seeing all those ways they changed the game, and then having 2fort kind of crammed in there despite the fact it played terribly under TF2's ruleset. To me, it seemed like it was kind of masquarading around as a game i didn't think it felt anything like.

I mean, and i wasn't under the illusion that TF/TFC were perfect either, those games are kind of unplayable with how much people now know how to exploit them. (I liked grenade jumping as part of the game, but the extents to which it could be abused got absolutely ridiculous.)

I think, for me at least, TF2 was in a weird space. It wasn't enough like the original games to appeal to me, but it wasn't enough its own thing to not draw comparisons. (Although, i guess it has gradually become more its own thing, though the things it's taken on make me even less interested in it. Grindy unlocks in competitive multiplayer are gross.)

Anyways, yeah, fuck TF2. Boo hiss! Dissent! Contrarianism!

Yeah, the way it's gone is really sad because the whole point of TF2 was kind of to simplify some of the things that made TFC borderline inaccessible after its earlier days. Taking grenades out was a brave but wise decision, as was repurposing beloved classes like the Medic. But that's kind of rendered null and void now they've added about 50,000 variations of each weapon and countless distractions to what was once an elegant and really fun game.

It wasn't too great on launch, though. I played right from the initial beta and the map selection was fairly weak. In fact I don't think TF2 really hit its stride until they introduced Payload, which to this day has probably given me more fun than I've exerienced in any multiplayer ever — an absolutely splendid game mode that worked to all of TF2's strengths and didn't really highlight any of its weaknesses like CTF.

Add me to the list of "used to love TF2, but don't enjoy it much now"

For me it was the slow decay of the tactical game. I was in a clan shortly after release and the game was wonderful on both a stretegic and tactical level - teams needed to co-operate to win and it showed. A well-executed plan was visible to both teams.

Now it just seems like a massive free-for-all, game of attrition. The only effective tactic is "all go to the same place and lay down as much firepower as possible". The game tried to drastically up the pace, with the effect that I now find it dull because the pacing is so uniform (to use a little theatrical theory, drama=changes of pace).

Sadface.

But yes, a fitting end to the "meet the class" series. A lot of fun and nicely unexpected.

I too did miss grenades, but I think there was a sweet spot of TF2 that had a lot of awesome.... I can't think of the word... synergy? between classes and become a really complex system of rock, paper, scissors. It was great.

That all said, the game was getting increasingly over-complicated and I stopped playing after several of the class packs came out because I felt the large number of extra weapons was starting to take away from the beautiful simplicity of the game. Then I tried to give it more one last go a few months ago and it was so unbelievably saturated with crazy weapons and tools I just felt completely alienated and will likely never touch it again.

100% free the same, the store stuff kind of bothers me too.

I think it's stupid to hate a game because it's not the same as its prequel*. It is a different game. Hate it on the merits of its own failures, rather than not meeting your expectations for a "sequel". I mean, for me personally, the only real similarities are the basic class characteristics. Beyond that, it feels and plays completely differently. As it should.

RE: Unlocks: Honestly, a vast abundance of the weapons really don't change the game that much. There are very few that alter the game significantly. The demoman's sword 'n' shield being a good example. The sniper's bow. But well over 3/4 of the weapons barely change a thing and just come down to personal preference and playstyle.

*I know that's not what you guys are really doing, at least not intentionally. But I do think there's some bias there that's really hard to ignore.

I think it's stupid to hate a game because it's not the same as its prequel*. It is a different game. Hate it on the merits of its own failures, rather than not meeting your expectations for a "sequel". I mean, for me personally, the only real similarities are the basic class characteristics. Beyond that, it feels and plays completely differently. As it should.

What is this? I think that's a completely valid reason for tearing down a sequel, what is the problem with holding something to the standard of what preceded it? I mean, it's insane to expect that people should evaluate sequels in a vacuum, comparisons are exactly what developers are inviting on themselves by producing a follow-up to something people love.

Relative to TFC and original TF, TF2 had made what i felt were negative changes, and therefore i did not like TF2 as much.

It is that simple.

I too did miss grenades, but I think there was a sweet spot of TF2 that had a lot of awesome.... I can't think of the word... synergy? between classes and become a really complex system of rock, paper, scissors.

Was? Still is, in my opinion. I can often feel team balance shifting when I switch to a sorely needed role. I do think the game is way more chaotic then it was at launch, but to me it's because each class is more versatile and I don't see that as a bad. It used to be bad in that the game got kind of impenetrable for new players, but the pool of newbie players got quite big when it went free-to-play, so in general the skill ceiling has dropped. What felt game-breaking a lot of the time was the servers that did instant-respawns, which completely takes away the momentum a team can have in a fight.

What is this? I think that's a completely valid reason for tearing down a sequel, what is the problem with holding something to the standard of what preceded it? I mean, it's insane to expect that people should evaluate sequels in a vacuum, comparisons are exactly what developers are inviting on themselves by producing a follow-up to something people love.

Relative to TFC and original TF, TF2 had made what i felt were negative changes, and therefore i did not like TF2 as much.

It is that simple.

I just mean, like... They're completely different games, even if one is a "sequel". They share a theme and... well, that's about it.

Besides, what's the point of releasing a sequel to a multiplayer competitive game that's nearly identical to its predecessor? At that point, why not just play the original? But then I think Starcraft 2 is one of the worst sequels I've ever played for this exact reason.

Was? Still is, in my opinion. I can often feel team balance shifting when I switch to a sorely needed role. I do think the game is way more chaotic then it was at launch, but to me it's because each class is more versatile and I don't see that as a bad. It used to be bad in that the game got kind of impenetrable for new players, but the pool of newbie players got quite big when it went free-to-play, so in general the skill ceiling has dropped. What felt game-breaking a lot of the time was the servers that did instant-respawns, which completely takes away the momentum a team can have in a fight.

Sorry I'll restate it as "Was a sweet spot for me" It's not like everything that made it great disappeared, it's still there, just that for me personally, I find there too many additions for my brain to keep track of and it hampers on the amount of fun I personally have. I know this is different for everyone and everything they have done legitimate.

The one actual criticism I can have of the current TF2 is not allowing an option for classic mode, but they have their reasoning, It would just be nice and maybe an interesting way to introduce new players by going into classic mode then progressively flipping the switch for the new stuff.

Yeah I actually would kill for a server flag to only allow original items (original TF2 items I mean, not TFC)

Sorry I'll restate it as "Was a sweet spot for me" It's not like everything that made it great disappeared, it's still there, just that for me personally, I find there too many additions for my brain to keep track of and it hampers on the amount of fun I personally have. I know this is different for everyone and everything they have done legitimate.

That makes sense. For some context, I never got TFC and TF2 has been that game that I don't touch for weeks and sometimes months, but always come back to. I wouldn't mind trying the game again with only stock items. :tup: