Sign in to follow this  
Jake

Idle Thumbs plays BioShock with JP LeBreton

I keep trying and failing to get into BioShock. The problem I have is that I'm paralyzed when I have to make a choice about plasmids. When I reach the point at which there are more to choose from than I can equip simultaneously I just sit there for a few minutes and then quit the game.

This obviously is because of some kind of mental problem on my part, and not a strike against the game. This video thing makes me want to take another crack at it. Maybe I'll take some xanax to help me through those bits.

Also, I love Jake's design work for the stream.

I was way too dilligent with the photography to the point where the game got super crazy easy and extremely un-system-shock-2-like by the time I got to the factory bits—and cranking the difficulty up made all the big daddies aggressive which was not fun either. So I lost interest. Also, anticipating System Shockiness, I kept using the wrench all the time and hoarding ammo for the really difficult battles to come—to the point where I could never pick up any which was also kinda annoying. I should totally replay the game, knowing all these pitfalls.

I could never get into Bioshock because I am a big wuss and it is scary. I even scared myself in the game because I ran into some bit of loose debris on the ground and it made a clanking noise. Needless to say, I'm not touching Amnesia with a 50 foot pole. I think I would be less scared if cleared areas stayed cleared and there weren't those random spawn-ins, but there are, so, yeah.

This was awesome, Thumbs and industry insiders and video games and viewer participation all live and on video. More please!

I first want to say that i absolutely loved the insights that were offered about the game and the people who worked on it.

As for the conversation carrying on in here, I also find the combat in BioShock disappointing, but not for a lack of player expression. I thought there was actually too much of it, too much opportunity to approach a situation in any way you want. The choices you made were essentially meaningless when every solution worked for every problem. Too many resources against challenges that were too forgiving, equipped with tools that were too broadly applicable.