Sign in to follow this  
Jake

Idle Thumbs Progresscast #14

Man, i played that game to death on the Amiga(?) and i was so terrible at it.

I just can't enjoy the new Simpsons. The characters just became grotesque reflections of their former glory. Homer becoming a cruel idiot was a sad sad change.

These guys often compare an contrast new and old Simpsons under a theme (bart falls in love or Childhood Existential Crises for instance) and show why they think the new Simpsons is shite. They also nitpick each new episode as it comes out, which is a bit too much for me.

http://deadhomersociety.com/

I can sympathize with Chris's reaction to teh German attack. I generally play a game of Civ until someone declares war on me (because i build 2 archers to defend 4 cities and its the Medieval Era) and then quit. I'm trying to break the cycle in Civ 5.

Are you saying that Chris, Jake, and Sean are the new topical "nobody cares" Simpsons?

Are you saying that Chris, Jake, and Sean are the new topical "nobody cares" Simpsons?

No way, I still look forward to everything coming from Idle Thumbs; I just get tired of what the old blues guys used to refer to as "talking out of your head" that seems to come from the newer guys sometimes. The lack of connection to the flow of the group conversation, and a lack of interest in literature, or art, or meaning of life stuff. I don't know.

I can't wait to hear what Jake and Chris have to say, but it it seems like Sean lacks the participatory generosity the others have. It reminds me of a musician trying to improvise without having the chops. You'll get there though dude, just work on the interior monologue.

... and a lack of interest in literature, or art, or meaning of life stuff. I don't know.

:o

Well sorry, didn't mean to be mean. Maybe I was talking out of my head, keep up the good work, all of you.

Burgertime: go back and listen to the live episode 51 of Idle Thumbs, where Sean ends the program with a very well told Far Cry 2 story.

Heck, listen to him talk about Super Black Bass. Sean brings the valuable "actually plays games" component to the podcast.

I don't know about valuable additions (I love all my Thumbs equally, etc) but there seems to be more "talking over each other for extended periods" now than there was in the days of Nick. I think in the time of Nick, he'd get annoyed with the interruptions and you know you don't want John Q Video games mad at you.

Of course, if you continue talking over each other, perhaps you could record in stereo so we could pick out speakers by channel...

More like bur

n

gertime

More like burn by non inline spoiler tag.

I don't know about valuable additions (I love all my Thumbs equally, etc) but there seems to be more "talking over each other for extended periods" now than there was in the days of Nick. I think in the time of Nick, he'd get annoyed with the interruptions and you know you don't want John Q Video games mad at you.

Of course, if you continue talking over each other, perhaps you could record in stereo so we could pick out speakers by channel...

I think your memory is playing tricks on you.

More like burn by non inline spoiler tag.

I felt it was an improvement.

I think your memory is playing tricks on you.

Probably!

Burgertime: go back and listen to the live episode 51 of Idle Thumbs, where Sean ends the program with a very well told Far Cry 2 story.

Yes to that.

For the record, I extracted the clip from the video version of that episode to be used every time somebody asks me what can possibly be gained from semi-emergent systems or argues that they lowers the player engagement.

I like Sean better than Nick tbh. Nick could never finish a story properly.

Yeah Simpsons, haven't watched it for maybe ten years. I don't really understand how it's still on tv. Have you guys seen the new Futurama episodes? I think they suck compared to the original four seasons. Like that Eyepod episode, was just so bad I had to stop watching. I dunno, I mean they always did pop-culture references, but it was cheesy stuff that no-one watched like Ally McBeal (Single Female Lawyer). Whereas to spend an episode going on about iPhones and Twitter just seemed really lame.

I recant my previous statemements(96%); Sean and Steve are valuable additions to Idle Thumbs and have had their shining moments. It's hard for anyone to perform at the level of Chris, Jake, and Nick's cultivated professionalism, focused analysis, and apparent natural internaiisation of the etiquette of conversation, that often led to moments of golden hilarity. Way more than this internet jerk could do. You all are the source of a resurgence of my interest in games as a meduim of meaning.

Thanks,