Sign in to follow this  
Jake

Idle Thumbs Progresscast #13!

WELCOME

Idle Thumbs Progresscast THE THIRTEENTH ONE

Two thousand years in the future, the world has collapsed into a nightmare of destruction and despair. Only Idle Thumbs remains. We won't take so long next time. In the meantime, wander through the wasteland with us as we discuss video games, the web, and progress.

Video games discussed within include: Dota 2, SSX, NBA Street, Super Black Bass, Sid Meier's Civilization II, Terrence Malick's Civilization II

Read the full Kickstarter update.

Direct episode download.

Keep the RSS fed!

I vaguely remember from my youth Nintendo Power really promoting Super Black Bass. And so, I remember craving that video game like kids crave things. I've never even liked fishing!

That Civ 2 story is incredible. What's funny about it is that people who have the game mechanics known to a T have come out of the woodwork to dismissively provide game-finishing answers. I wonder if they see the story as an awesome event or if their inner-rage-nerd is treating it as a tragic 'noob' thing.

You guys being able to stream games from the office sounds fun. Though I'm not sure if Sean's routine (wake up, bowl of cereal, game) will work with the office.

You guys being able to stream games from the office sounds fun. Though I'm not sure if Sean's routine (wake up, bowl of cereal, game) will work with the office.

I will just have to wear pants.

I will just have to wear pants.

The stream would probably get more viewers if you didn't.

:innocent:

I'm gonna go ahead and coin "Remoan Slip" for when you mean to mention something, but you say Far Cry 2 instead.

I'm gonna go ahead and coin "Remoan Slip" for when you mean to mention something, but you say Far Cry 2 instead.

I really couldn't believe that happened. I thought we were past FC2.

Your Nord is pitch perfect.

Thanks, I've been working on it.

NBA Street: Baltimore Edition

You come at the king, you better not miss... the basket.

:tup:

Fun cast! Ironically, this was one of the casts that I felt had the most difference in audio volume from speaker to speaker. Chris was hard to hear at times. Maybe some more adjustments to the equipment are in place?

I had read the Civ 2 anecdote, but my mind was blown nonetheless when you got to the proposed solutions and their ramifications, which I had not yet read.

Fun cast! Ironically, this was one of the casts that I felt had the most difference in audio volume from speaker to speaker. Chris was hard to hear at times. Maybe some more adjustments to the equipment are in place?

I had read the Civ 2 anecdote, but my mind was blown nonetheless when you got to the proposed solutions and their ramifications, which I had not yet read.

I think in this case it's less an issue of equipment and more of software. I need to get better compression settings going.

I think in this case it's less an issue of equipment and more of software. I need to get better compression settings going.

I kept picturing you going "I gotta have more dynamic range! Sean, whisper something from the other side of the room! Then scream into the mic!"

I kept picturing you going "I gotta have more dynamic range! Sean, whisper something from the other side of the room! Then scream into the mic!"

That is not wholly inaccurate.

Idle Thumbs's Terrence Malick's Sid Meier's Civilization is a thing of beauty. They don't even have to make it. The little vignette from the podcast is :worship: on its own.

For what it's worth, I might maybe prefer to see David Simon's Sid Meier's Civilization... although a more visual and abstract storytelling style does have an undeniable appeal, and might be more effective at telling such a large story. I wanna throw Tarsem Singh's name into the hat too, but that dude's narratives are always somehow rough in an annoying kind of way. Malick is a bigger master at the same kind of game anyway. Jesus, you've painted such a crazy vivid picture of this movie.

Oh, I thought someone had just made a movie version of Boccaccio's Decameron, which is what I was screaming at my speakers while Sean castigated himself at length for his own ignorance.

Also, great to have a podcast where "baffle" and "boost" are used within ten seconds of each other. It's like old times!

Oh, I thought someone had just made a movie version of Boccaccio's Decameron, which is what I was screaming at my speakers while Sean castigated himself at length for his own ignorance.

Also, great to have a podcast where "baffle" and "boost" are used within ten seconds of each other. It's like old times!

Yeah Decameron is what popped to mind for me as well but it didn't actually sound like what Sean was describing so I didn't say anything. I wasn't familiar with the Decalogue.