ThunderPeel2001

The threat of Watch Dogs

Beyond Good & Evil 2 is going to be fucking excellent.

Yes, actually that dulls the pain of BG&E2 never actually existing: Ubisoft's editorial team would surely ruin it. (Ubisoft have an editorial team - there is a reason why all their games are so homogenous these days.)

So is anyone actually playing this?

It had the largest amount of GameStop preorders of any game EVER and it has just sold more day one copies of any previous Ubisoft game. So someone's gotta have it? (I have actually got it, but I must first rid the world of nazis before I can don that iconic cap)

I got a copy with my new graphics card. I have only played it a couple of hours but I can already confirm that it is a triple-A open world game: you can run, shoot, drive, collect stuff, and play chess. So if you enjoy those kind of games, there is a good chance that you will enjoy this game as well.

It is also an a Ubisoft game, so if you enjoy Uplay you will fucking love this experience.

The PC version seems to have some stuttering problems at the moment (to no ones surprise, I guess) but that will hopefully be fixed at some point. 

Mington, is Wolfenstein worth the price of admission?

It is actually very good. I'm just renting it so i can't really comment on value for money. I'd imagine it'll be one of those games that reduces in price rather quickly.

It is also an a Ubisoft game, so if you enjoy Uplay you will fucking love this experience.

i seem to have accumulated like 800 uplay point over the years, does that make me a Uplay lover.

He's a Uplay lover, they'll get a hold on you believe it, like no other, Before you know it you'll be on your knees

Had to battle Uplay for ages before I could play it. Inputting serial numbers, suddenly it wants to sync non-existing saves to the cloud (didn't even ask me if I wanted to), then I have to input a serial number plus the hyphens because they can't be arsed to add the same formatting rules to every field, wait forever for it to check for updates, more waiting for it to log in....

Finally got to play and the first thing I noticed, it doesn't use the mouse sensitivity from Windows so I have to redo that. In the game, I got to a room with some people in it. The game went from 40-50 fps down to 2-3 fps, making it unplayable. Managed to get that past that and the game bugged out when running the tutorial to show me to how to hack the lights in the stadium.

It was at that point I said "fuck it" and deleted the piece of shit from my computer.

Perhaps I'll try it again in a year or so when they've hopefully brought out a few dozen patches and fixed the ulcer-inducing Uplay.

Thats strange that they've made it so difficult on PC but actually made it easier on consoles.

For example, with Assassin Creed 4 the one time use online pass code thing that you get to deter buying second hand just installed itself, it must have recognised that it was the first time the disc was being used and issued the online pass to my console. So they've done away with having to put in any codes to get the games working on console

Man, this game just sounds like a turd. Apparently the PC version is essentially broken, as those precipitous frame-rate drops aren't unique--Brad Shoemaker was talking about the same issue on this week's Bombcast.

I picked up one of the pre-order editions in Norway that came with extra stuff so I got more than one code. The first one had to be typed into Uplay to activate the game. There's an unlock content button on the game's page, but I can't use that for the other codes. I have to first launch the game and then hit the redeem code option in the main menu which opens the Uplay overlay and a window where I can type in the other codes. With hyphens.

It's a ridiculous program.

Lol! I wonder if you could contact support and get a refund, I'm sure people do that all the time

This game and Wolfenstein are forcing me to buy a PS4 and be happy with it. Can't understand why those games don't run properly even on really powerful PCs, just can't believe that they saw the performance on their machine and said "yep, that'll do it".

Anyway, the story is also pretty bad. Very weak writing.

But I really like the water in this game, it's so neat and next-genish.

I really liked the ocean physics in Dark Souls 2 because they were less realistic and more stylistic, to emphasize the otherworldly mood. I think at this we can accept that computers are good at simulating water. Now let's make it expressive. Wind Waker did this very well, it had gorgeous water that fit the art style.

The feature that's pushing me over the line is the multiplayer is basically Spy Party!

I'm only in chapter 2 so far, but I can already believe that this game is not about high-level critique on the surveillance state. Not that I was expecting that. What the game has done, however, is to perfect the urgency of story / amount of side-activities disconnect - at which they already did an impressive job in Far Cry 3 - by essentially saying "Your loved ones are in immediate danger - perhaps I can interest you in a chess problem or an online race?"

Aside from the idiotic story, I'm actually enjoying the game so far. In my opinion, hacking is actually a valuable addition to this time of game. During infiltration missions, it offers a fun alternative to stealth (which is almost always find annoying - the notable exceptions being Dishonored and Deus Ex: Human Revolutions) during infiltration missions and a less stressful way of dealing with pursuers and pursuees during chases.

How hacking works in infiltration missions is that you find a good cover (or better yet, stay outside the hostile area entirely), look for a security camera, and hack it. You can now move in the enemy compound by jumping from one camera to the next. Some enemies also carry cameras (their phones, I guess, unless they have mounted a GoPro camera on their forehead) which you can also hack and then lure them to places that you couldn't otherwise reach by causing a distraction (e.g. by overloading a switchbox or.. ehh.. hacking a forklift). In some cases you don't actually have to set foot in the enemy compound at all because you can hack the target system remotely as long as you can get a glimpse of it with one of the cameras. Even if you still have to go there, the hacking allows you to locate all of the enemies in the compound and, in many cases, kill most of them by luring them near something hazardous and then triggering it. The main difference to traditional stealth is that you are free to experiment with various schemes without a danger of immediately getting caught and killed if you fuck up - at worst the enemies will freak out and start sweeping up the place.

Stealing valuable data and/or killing a dozen bad guys using only your mobile phone is, of course, quite stupid but also very satisfying and super fun.

I'm only in chapter 2 so far, but I can already believe that this game is not about high-level critique on the surveillance state. Not that I was expecting that. What the game has done, however, is to perfect the urgency of story / amount of side-activities disconnect - at which they already did an impressive job in Far Cry 3 - by essentially saying "Your loved ones are in immediate danger - perhaps I can interest you in a chess problem or an online race?"

Aside from the idiotic story, I'm actually enjoying the game so far. In my opinion, hacking is actually a valuable addition to this time of game. During infiltration missions, it offers a fun alternative to stealth (which is almost always find annoying - the notable exceptions being Dishonored and Deus Ex: Human Revolutions) during infiltration missions and a less stressful way of dealing with pursuers and pursuees during chases.

How hacking works in infiltration missions is that you find a good cover (or better yet, stay outside the hostile area entirely), look for a security camera, and hack it. You can now move in the enemy compound by jumping from one camera to the next. Some enemies also carry cameras (their phones, I guess, unless they have mounted a GoPro camera on their forehead) which you can also hack and then lure them to places that you couldn't otherwise reach by causing a distraction (e.g. by overloading a switchbox or.. ehh.. hacking a forklift). In some cases you don't actually have to set foot in the enemy compound at all because you can hack the target system remotely as long as you can get a glimpse of it with one of the cameras. Even if you still have to go there, the hacking allows you to locate all of the enemies in the compound and, in many cases, kill most of them by luring them near something hazardous and then triggering it. The main difference to traditional stealth is that you are free to experiment with various schemes without a danger of immediately getting caught and killed if you fuck up - at worst the enemies will freak out and start sweeping up the place.

Stealing valuable data and/or killing a dozen bad guys using only your mobile phone is, of course, quite stupid but also very satisfying and super fun.

Yeah, I'm enjoying this as well, it's a very simple mechanic, but it opens some course of actions that wouldn't be possible without.

I usually only enjoy stealth games that "empowers" (I hope that's a word) the player, and this is another game for the genre. It's not brain dead easy, it just doesn't rely on the player patience.

I'm also liking the open world in Chicago, there's not much to do in the city, but I think this is the first time that this feels like a real city in a video game (with much less people of course). As much as GTA games were well made for its hardware, their cities felt a bit empty. Here's there are more stuff on the streets, like benches, bus stops and newsstands, more bars and cafés with people hanging out minding their own business, squares with tourists taking pictures, etc. In GTA, it bothered me that when you got closer to a building and it was just a big block with low res textures on it, but that's not the case in watch dogs, it's more consistent.

I just wish the story was a lot better, I honestly can't feel any kind of attachment to the main character and it's journey. It feels like they only thought about the story in the last minute, hence why so many cliches and, to make it worse, badly executed. I think a much better main character for the game would be his assistant hacker, badboy17, at least she seems a more likeable character, and her story could be about hacktivism or something, it would be more interesting than this.

Anyway, Watch Dogs so far is a good video game, and I'm even planning on actually finishing it. Just be careful to buy this on PC, I'm playing right now at 30 fps locked, and it doesn't even stays at 30 all the time (when driving to a new and populated area it gets worse, all the rest is fine). It looks really great, but not enough for this uneven performance.

Not to mock you or anything but your comment reminded me of this

This is amazing. I wonder if that's all the enjoyment he gets from his games.

That video mostly just made me feel bad for everybody who worked on it and thought they were making the next massive game. I feel like they're just victims of the desire to have games be as big as they can be while still pushing graphics and technology further and further.

That video lost me at "No cheat codes"

Lost me at "Can't jump at all" already.

"No hammer animation for handguns"... Jesus.

A lot of those complaints are pretty ridiculous, but the trains coming to a dead stop when you move in front of them is a huge bummer. Why even have an open world if you can't smash trains into cars?