Udvarnoky

Some heartless jackass makes a fake Majora's Mask HD trailer because he hates me, specifically

Correction: if you're in the U.S. and you jumped on pre-orders in the tiny window of time between when they were announced and when all the ebay scalpers got to them, then you can get the Limited Edition with the figurine. This window was less than 24 hours.

I suggest that anyone interested do a price alert on Slickdeals for the limited edition, I'm sure retailers will either get more allocation or certain smaller retailers haven't opened up pre-orders yet. We're still too far out for all limited editions to be claimed, I have to imagine.

Case in point, Best Buy had availability about 48 hours after the first window where I preordered mine from Amazon. It was available for a few hours, long enough to let a couple people who were disappointed to miss it first go-round another shot.

Haha I tried to grab it off of Best Buy, too, but clicking the Preorder button didn't work. Clicked it periodically for like half an hour before the next refresh just made it say "not available" and I cried for days.

Wow, I had no idea.  The thing comes out in December, for crying out loud!

It comes out in "Q1 2015."

Correction: if you're in the U.S. and you jumped on pre-orders in the tiny window of time between when they were announced and when all the ebay scalpers got to them, then you can get the Limited Edition with the figurine. This window was less than 24 hours.

I stood in front of a store for an hour before it opened to place a pre-order on that Limited Edition.

I was not the only person waiting, there were in fact multiple other people waiting.

I casually preordered in a store a few days ago, but there's no certainty on it being a limited edition. Or that I'm all that interested in th EU version. But we'll see.

I've preordered this game twice, once in the awesome new 3DS special edition, that comes with the skull kid figurine, and again for the equally awesome skull kid badge and poster CE. I don't think I'm going to regret this.

Looks really good visually. Specially when you compare to the original, like this video does:

I like how the remake mantains the same aesthetics but improves a lot on it, so while it does look "old" graphically, it doesn't look bad at all.

So Nintendo in the UK evidently got a whole bunch of these skull kid figurines, as they're bundling it with every new 3DS: http://store.nintendo.co.uk/nintendo-3ds/the-legend-of-zelda-majoras-mask-3d.list?utm_source=mothership&utm_medium=microsite&utm_campaign=the-legend-of-zelda-majoras-mask-3d

I don't understand pre-orders at all sometimes. :/

Damn, if I knew for certain which 3DS I wanted I'd order that as a birthday present, but until I see the regular New 3DS in the flesh I don't know if I can stomach the downgrade in screen size from my XL. I swore I couldn't go back after going large but tiny coloured plastic buttons are making me reconsider.

I was lucky enough to catch a special, limited edition MM N3DS XL. I am stupidly excited.

I've been out of the pre-order and even Day 1 purchase game for what feels like a lifetime, so maybe this is just the skewed perspective of the naïve and out-of-touch, but I feel like scalping situation for these limited Majora's Mask products is kind of...heightened?

So I got a chance to play this game on the New 3DS at PAX and I am more excited than ever. The graphics are fantastic, everything looks greatly improved over the original version and runs very smoothly. I actually do think that the right thumbstick thing was very well worth it, 3D Zelda can sorely use some easy camera control and I was surprised at how precise that little nub turned out to be. So pumped that I pre-ordered this, but kinda bummed that the New 3DS isn't in the cards for me if I'm being financially responsible.

So, how much do I need to play Ocarina of Time before Majora's Mask?

I understand the games have some common characters etc. and you get more out of MM if you know them already? MM just sounds more interesting than OOT (not that OOT sounds bad or anything).

While Majora's Mask is a direct sequel, it's very self-contained.  The biggest kinship between MM and OoT is the fact that MM re-uses a ton of OoT's character assets with (in most cases) different names.  The manual justifies this by calling Termina a "parallel world" or something.

There's no need at all to play Ocarina before Majora's Mask. My brother and I played Majora first when we were kids. Ocarina has also felt like the alternate-dimension version of Majora to me.

So, how much do I need to play Ocarina of Time before Majora's Mask?

I understand the games have some common characters etc. and you get more out of MM if you know them already? MM just sounds more interesting than OOT (not that OOT sounds bad or anything).

Majora's Mask is incredibly standalone, and most Zelda games are. You might infer that you are playing as the same Link from Ocarina, but the game doesn't even care enough about that to make it explicit, and virtually nothing else provides any connection to the prior game. You should have no concern about just going ahead and playing Majora. Beyond just narrative, i don't think you would even gain any uniquely valuable perspective on it by playing Ocarina first. (As you definitely would by playing LTTP before ALBW, for example.)

If i had to reach for something, i'd say you might find Majora a touch difficult without the prior experience of playing Ocarina, you might also perhaps find the time limits a little constraining without that prior experience. (In this case though, it doesn't have to be Ocarina you've played. If you've played any 3D Zelda, you're probably going to be fine.)

Majora's Mask is incredibly standalone, and most Zelda games are. You might infer that you are playing as the same Link from Ocarina, but the game doesn't even care enough about that to make it explicit, and virtually nothing else provides any connection to the prior game.

Well, not to diminish your overall point that it's standalone, which it is, but it's definitely made explicit that this is the link from Ocarina, because he's on a quest to reunite with Navi the fairy, is riding Epona, and there's even a flashback featuring Ocarina's Zelda.  These elements are why people refer to it as a direct sequel in the first place.

Anyone find it interesting that while 95% of the repurposed models from Ocarina are different characters (to support the "parallel world" thing), there are a select few that are the same?  The witches in the swamp are Koume and Kotake, just as in Ocarina, and it seems to be suggested that the Happy Mask Salesman is an absolute.  It's possible that Guru-Guru (organ grinder of "Song of Storms" fame) may be the same dude as well.