Lu 

The DayZ thread of TEAMWORK and STORIES

Any thumb forumites who want to play some DayZ today, 18:00 CET on a European server? A friend of mine has to write a diary post about DayZ for a game publication and I thought that maybe we could try the new hell that is the current zombie spawn rate and perhaps visit a hospital in Chernogorsk. Or attempt to free Berezino from bandits. Or something. :-)

1800 is a little early for me but if you are staying a couple of hours I'll friend you on Steam so you can have your team weighed down for half an hour by a useless player who has forgotten what the controls are.

Hey so uh, I got this game. When do you guys happen to play? Also, been wondering if the Idle Thumbs server is still up. If you wanna play, just add me on Steam! I'm a newb to it, btw.

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forums and would like your advice on the current price of DayZ. I'm an unemployed college student, that said I would very much like to get in on the DayZ fun. For someone without a lot of expendable income would you all advise jumping in on DayZ at $30?

Jacob: well, the game has been on two Steam sales since launch, but only at 15%. The developers never seemed too keen on having the game on sale and I seriously doubt that it will get any cheaper. I think that DayZ is one of the most interesting games ever made and it is of course worth 30 dollars (the price will probably rise when it eventually leaves Early Access).

The thing is, Arma-styled FPS is its own beast. Some people hate the way it handles, you having a body to move around and not only a lightning fast crosshair to whip about in the game world is a turn-off for some. I would try downloading the demo version of Arma 2 and test the boot camp tutorials. If they feel horrible to you, you'll know.

I personally _love_ how Arma handles the movement of your character. The sense of presence in the world is palpable. It has a weight and verisimilitude I find lacking in practically any other shooters after having played DayZ. It is however an acquired taste; some people miss the extreme quickness of titles like CS:GO or Titanfall. 

The demo for Arma 2 can be found here: 

http://www.arma2.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=517〈=en&catid=50

Tell us what you thought and if you're planning to buy the game or not.

Jacob: well, the game has been on two Steam sales since launch, but only at 15%. The developers never seemed too keen on having the game on sale and I seriously doubt that it will get any cheaper. I think that DayZ is one of the most interesting games ever made and it is of course worth 30 dollars (the price will probably rise when it eventually leaves Early Access).

The thing is, Arme-styled FPS is its own beast. Some people hate the way it handles, you having a body to move around and not only a lightning fast crosshair to whip about in the game world is a turn-off for some. I would try downloading the demo version of Arma 2 and test the boot camp tutorials. If they feel horrible to you, you'll know.

I personally _love_ how Arma handles the movement of your character. The sense of presence in the world is palpable. It has a weight and verisimilitude I find lacking in practically any other shooters after having played DayZ. It is however an acquired taste; some people miss the extreme quickness of titles like CS:GO or Titanfall. 

The demo for Arma 2 can be found here: 

http://www.arma2.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=517〈=en&catid=50

Tell us what you thought and if you're planning to buy the game or not.

Oh, darn I totally forgot to mention I am not new to DayZ or Arma in the slightest. That was silly of me not to think to include that, sorry. I've played Arma 2 since launch and have all the DLC, Operation Arrowhead etc. I also bought Arma 3 at the early access launch and I've played the DayZ mod since its release as well. I really want to buy the standalone and I almost jumped on the summer sale price. For some reason I can't bring myself to buy it. Money is a little bit tight but I know I would get dozens, if not hundreds of hours out of DayZ. I'm not sure what it is, maybe I've been disappointed by early access too much because of unrealistic expectations (bought the Forrest at launch). I also don't have any real life friends with gaming PCs so I'll be going solo for a while unless anyone from here or in game teams up with me. 

I've even been looking up prices for getting a giant map of Chernarus printed and downloaded the 19000x19000 image of the map. I've also been watching all of the old DayZ Idle Thumbs streams I missed. There's just something holding me back from buying it.

In that case, I do understand the hesitation. The SA is in really good shape compared to other Early Access games like the Forest or Planetary Assault, where everything is still in a really primitive state. DayZ SA is a reasonably stable game. It is less susceptible to hacking than the mod was in its heyday and the current systems all work. Sure, there are many features not available yet, like vehicles, but the SA has stuff that the mod doesn't have (the more advanced nutrition and health systems, the modular "condition" status of the inventory items, etc). Some people prefer the responsiveness of Arma 3 to what DayZ has to offer, but DayZ seems to have much more reliable net code compared to other Arma games (which is to be expected from what is basically an mmo), so the SA has a lot to offer. If money is tight, and you already can play the mod or Wasteland, I can, as I said, understand the hesitation. The graphics alone make it worth it though. The new DayZ on a fast machine looks incredible. Chernarus has never looked this good.

I played the ARMA 2 mod and I got the SA very close to when they launched it. Sometime in December, I think? I have not played as compulsively as then, but I still have more than 100 hours of game time into it (which feels like so few, to be honest). The really big questions are: are you ok with the game not being as fully featured as the comparative mod scene, and does being along for the ride of the development and release of new features on a regular basis excite you?

If the answers are yes to both or enthusiastically yes to the second one then from one vet to another I recommend it without reservation. I know what it's like with money being tight, but I think as a game and as an entertainment expenditure it's well worth the money. I mean if it's the difference between games and eating then don't be silly, but if it's just a big chunk of your entertainment budget I think it's in a good place, especially if you want to see new stuff get released like every 3 weeks. There are at least two full cities to explore I guarantee you've never seen before.

I feel had an awesome time grouping up with the Idle Thumb community, 30$ was worth the 30 excellent hours I had with it. It is kind of fun to hop in every once and a while to discover how much they changed it in the last patch! 

Okay, 0.50 has just been launched on the stable build of the game. The new stuff includes horticulture, further development on the temperature mechanics and plus a lot of new items (and the ability to lock doors!). Are there any here who would like to try out the game out and see what we could do together? I am itching to get back in the game with other players.

New update:

New Items: 

• V3S 
  • Ghillie Suite (Hood, Bushrag, Top) 
  • Ghillie Weapon Wrap 
  • Jerry can 
  • Military Tent 
  • Human Flesh 
  • Netting 
  • Steyr Aug 
  • MP133 with pistol grip 
  • Burlap strips

New Mechanics: 

• Vehicles 
  • Vehicles refueling 
  • Prion Disease 
  • New crafting recipes 
  • Updated heat transfer 
  • Watering plants

Fixed: 

• Abuse of vomiting to gain energy 
  • Mending balaclavas 
  • Splitting and combining netting 
  • Splitting and combining burlap strips 
  • Ammo box dragging on magazines 
  • Combining and splitting worms 
  • Breaking out of restraints fixes 
  • Uncuffing using keys 
  • Picking up mp133 from the ground 
  • Rangefinder mechanics 
  • Items are no longer pristine only 
  • Skinning should now give pelts properly 
  • V3S going uphill 
  • V3S physics simulation 
  • V3S damage to characters 
  • V3S collisions 
  • V3S fueling mechanic 
  • Memory Leaks 
  • And a lot more!

Known Issues: 

• Item locked in hands slot 
  • Items can't be picked up sometimes 
  • Left earpice sound volume is lowered sometimes 
  • Ghillie will probably react badly on chemlight, flare and other light sources 
  • Some items will freeze in midair when you throw them multiple times in a row 
  • Some items will visually duplicate themselves if used from the ground