Lu 

The DayZ thread of TEAMWORK and STORIES

It was fun playing with forumites! I only died twice! Once from walking off a dam (always look ahead when traversing narrow walkways), the other due to walking right into a stranger who was waiting for me with a rifle (vacate a building via another entrance if you can help it when alone).

It was great to meet up, and we only managed to hurt ourselves when we were finally gathered. No hold ups, no murders. There is strength in numbers. Join us! You are going to die anyhow, do it with friends.

Have we considered trying to create an Idle Thumbs day-z community? Sort of like a club-house, or Mayberry, or a tiny island filled with intelligent discussion and zombies.

Do you mean in game? if so..

I think most of us would love to do something like that (I would). The thing is most servers crash very often, so we jump around from one server to an other. So it could

be tricky to get a place and make it ours the way the game is right now. But if that time comes I know some pretty sweet spots we could hang out. For example behinde the

air field in the far north is a big building with a stone wall all around it. That would be perfect stronghold to make a base.

He didn't see me coming

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ob56_8ONL1c&feature=youtu.be

I knew I would eventually get the game, but I've finally broken down and did it. I had forgotten how satisfying the build of "I found a shirt. I found a shovel. I found a soda. I found a water bottle. I found a backpack! I found AN AXE." can be. Even just the discovery of the new interface stuff was cool. You don't have to middle mouse your way around the world quite so much.

So I'm relatively kitted out, short of weapons, and just north of Berezino if anyone wants to meet up and hang out. I'm already in the Steam group. (Even as I write this, I realize I will probably be dead before anyone responds, if not reads)

What sort of computer specs and game settings are people using? I know it's an Alpha and it's unoptimized, but right now even with almost every setting on low besides native monitor resolution it looks and runs like GARBAGE. I don't have the world's best computer, I5, 560 Ti and 8 gigs of ram, but I can run BF4 on normal/high settings without too much trouble and this chokes and wheezes.

e: I think my issue was not setting the config files to read only, and every time I loaded back up DayZ kept trying to render literally a million objects. Also making sure ambient occlusion was off. So much better.

So I pretty new to DayZ. Never played the mod and I've only just started playing the standalone version. I have a couple of questions maybe some DayZ veterans can answer for me.

1. I've been attacked on numerous occasions moments after respawning by dudes who themselves have just recently respawned judging from their outfits. They just run at you with their fists raised. I even plead to this one guy "I just spawned. I've nothing on me man, Fuck Off" and he still kept following me. I had to eventually log off the server and find a new one. What's the deal with these assholes? Is this a common occurrence or am I just being stalked by this one guy?

I recently found my first gun, a bolt action rifle. For the longest time I couldn't find any ammo for it. When I finally did find some 7.62mm rounds and tried to load them in the gun, I would get the message "It doesn't fit in there". I looked up the gun in one of the DayZ wikis out there and sure enough I had the right type of ammo. So what the hell? Fortunately for me, I met a stranger with the same rifle in a town scavenging for supplies. Then I had this pleasant conversation with the guy:

"Hey man, you know why my 7.62mm rounds won't fit in the rifle? Is it bug or something?"

"Are the rounds in a carboard box?"

"Uh, what? What do you mean?"

"Are they pristine and in a box as a set?

"Uh yeah they are..."

"You need to empty the box and then load the individual rounds."

"Uh....shit"

Of course you do! You can't just stuff the entire box down the barrel. Duh!

2. Do guns have durability like other items (pristine, worn, damaged etc.)? If so I don't see it being represented anywhere on the UI.

3. I found a defibrillator. It would've taken up 4 slots in my pack. Would a defib be useful at any point really? Is it worth it to make space and carry that thing around?

So I pretty new to DayZ. Never played the mod and I've only just started playing the standalone version. I have a couple of questions maybe some DayZ veterans can answer for me.

1. I've been attacked on numerous occasions moments after respawning by dudes who themselves have just recently respawned judging from their outfits. They just run at you with their fists raised. I even plead to this one guy "I just spawned. I've nothing on me man, Fuck Off" and he still kept following me. I had to eventually log off the server and find a new one. What's the deal with these assholes? Is this a common occurrence or am I just being stalked by this one guy?

2. Do guns have durability like other items (pristine, worn, damaged etc.)? If so I don't see it being represented anywhere on the UI.

3. I found a defibrillator. It would've taken up 4 slots in my pack. Would a defib be useful at any point really? Is it worth it to make space and carry that thing around?

1. Unfortunately this is pretty common. You'll get people killing on sight (or attempting to) anyhwere you go in Day Z SA. Airfields and big cities are normally death zones. A lot of people get bored with the Alpha (there's not much to do once you're fully geared) and so decide to amuse themselves. Add to that people who see Day Z as a largescale deathmatch and you'll get a lot of dickheads trying to kill you.

2. Gun components (like handguard for M4A1 or scopes for Mosin) have durability but the guns themselves don't, as far as I know.

3. Apparently defibs aren't fully implemented yet so no use carrying them around.

By the way, if you find an M4A1 or a semiautomatic pistol you'll need to find magazines along with the rounds. The Mosin and Magnum you can load wtihout magazines.

So yesterday I was running around SA Airfield. Fully decked and nothing to do. I decided to target practice on some zombies, but that got boring pretty quick.

I noticed two guys walking around the Airfield, also fully decked. When I started to make my way down the buildings it turned out there where 5 of them running around.

I killed 3 of them from a distance, a bit later the 4th. The 5th guy sniped my ass down! 

After that I teamed up with two old friend and within 3 hours I had the same gear back as I had before. Doing it all over again :D We need new stuff I geuss!

You monster. But yes, standard response to seeing another player should be fear, followed by avoidance. It's good that you have some experience with Arma though, since you're more used to the hundreds of meters of distance you're dealing with when it comes to spotting other players.

Oh yes indeed, spotting players in Arma is very hard for a non trained eye. In the beginning of Arma2 I had no idea what everybody was looking at :D I felt so useless haha

e. anybody up for some dayz in about a hour or so? Im full geared and im near SA airfield with a buddy of mine (also full gear) let me know.

We're playing again tomorrow at 8pm GMT (or was it 7pm). Join our steam group and you'll see the event time based on your timezone.

Also join the mumble channel. Details for that are on the first page of this thread.

I should be able to join you guys tomorrow, I am brand new to the game (I didn't play the mod) but have been playing the standalone version quite a lot since I bought it.  Hopefully I can find some good gear for tomorrow as I was just gunned down in cold blood while roaming Chernogorsk.  If not I could always act as bandit bait or something.

Ill try to get full decked before we start tomorrow aswell. Shouldnt be too hard. 

The day before yesterday my char got a reset for some reason. Had a mosin and full army gear etc.. I felt so sick :D

e. after that we joined a PVE server. The server name said "PVP = KICK". So I met this guy walking around with a mosin and gear

thinking he was all save because it was a no pvp server. I killed him took his loot and switched servers. Dont put that shit

in the server name if you cant support it ! :D Assholes like me will take advantage from it. (I was pretty pissed because my char got a reset, normally i wont do stuff like that :P )

We're playing again tomorrow at 8pm GMT (or was it 7pm). Join our steam group and you'll see the event time based on your timezone.

Also join the mumble channel. Details for that are on the first page of this thread.

Awesome, can't wait!

That was fun for the most part. Just really frustrating about the continuous connection problems a few of us had. Kind of made it impossible to actually do anything. Let's keep our fingers crossed that next week all connection issues will be no more! When it worked, it was really fuckin' sweet!

Posting a few screenshots. I think this is the most number of people I've teamed up with in DayZ or Arma. 

This is when all 9 of us were finally together on a hill near Shakhovka. We decided to split in two squads and approach a town from flanking directions.

301nhaw.jpg

Our two squads met up in Guglovo near a fountain. Look at us. We are an overwhelming force together as a group and yet such an easy target for any random passerby.

30ic754.jpg

Today was awesome. First few hours were a little rough connection wise, but still pretty fun. After the majority of people left, 3 of us decided to raid a military base and the airfield. I geared up and we found an M4 for me, I am super pumped for next Saturday. 

FYI if you get shot, stuff in your gear can get ruined. This has basically no impact on non-gun items aside from the aesthetic look of clothing, but it can ruin pistols, magnums, bullets, magazines, and attachments (if they are for sidearms or not on your gun). Because none of the guns have any description or status, be really careful if you're retrieving gear that your stuff actually works before you get caught in a firefight. They don't show a durability but they can be busted. I lost a magnum and a pistol with a rds after getting picked off by a hacker a couple of days ago.

If bullets say they are "ruined", split them out. It's usually only one bullet that's ruined, and you can split them down until all but one are pristine and then recombine. You can't fire ruined ammunition. You also can't load ruined magazines by dragging and dropping, BUT if you leave your weapon unloaded, put it in your hands, and use the mousewheel command it will load and fire. I expect that won't last forever but for people who don't like finding new stuff after getting shot it'll get you around it.

Yesterday was fun! Sadly not alot happend (again). Like last week it was pretty hard to get everybody together and keeping

a decent large group moving can also be challenging. When you combine that with some connection issues and war storys ;) it can

take a long time before you can get anywhere. Im not that person thats gonne boss everybody around to keep the game

going, unless thats something what you guys want for next time.

Its just an idea but how about we decide on a meeting spot before we start next week and if your able you can move your character

to that location before we start. I think we can win an hour of time that way.

Next time we do this we need to join a server with loads of people, once we find people and make them do what we want it will feel more

like we did something :P