Lu 

The DayZ thread of TEAMWORK and STORIES

This is not a story about DayZ. This is a story about Video Games.

I was playing with a couple friends, trying to meet up with them... but I was out in the middle of nowhere, so it was taking a while for me to get to them. But I was finally making progress. (this was my first character and I got lucky enough to find a crashed chopper the first night I played, along with an M14 AIM!)

So, in Mumble, I hear all about their shenanigans. One of them keeps dying, while the other manages to get away every time. Meanwhile, I'm on the edge of dying of thirst the entire time...

Eventually, as I'm still running along the coast, just getting past a city, getting ever closer to them... They start lagging out. As they're lagging out, a guy manages to kill them. As they sit in the lobby, waiting to respawn (which takes forever, for some reason), that guy says to them, "You mad I killed you?" over voice chat, which is weird. But then the one friend, Termyte, respawns. THEN. The guy who killed him spawns right in front of him, but takes a while to load. So... Termyte digs into the dude's backpack, steals his gun, and shoots him while he's loading. This is justice! THEN. It turns out the dude had a gold AK and gold revolver? What. THEN. Three minutes later, the entire server is teleported off the map, up high in the sky, and falls to their deaths.

So, we're guessing the guy was a hacker who got unlucky and took his revenge.

One of the other random players goes, "Goddamnit. That's the fifth time today." I guess this is not a completely uncommon thing? Ughrerhghgh.

So that's frustrating. I don't care if I die to zombies or other legit players, but fuck, that kind of thing really kills my mood.

Yeah, gold weapons are greylisted (in that you won't immediately get kicked for scripting restrictions, but the do not come from natural game spawn points).

Sometimes hackers are interesting. We were traveling as a group of 3 towards the NW airfield, and all of a sudden something spawned behind us. I thought it was a goat... it was a hacker who teleported himself in as a dog and was talking to us over direct comms.

Most of the time hackers suck, unfortunately.

The only way that could be better is if he did nothing but transmit clips of the simpsons, where johnny cash is homer's spirit animal. Dispensing vague advice and wisdom

I've lost every character I've had to hacking incidents, either "grey quit" kills or random hacking events--the most spectacular being a hacker's stolen helicopter being dropped on me and my friends.

We didn't steal it, but we had been - unknowingly - been playing alongside its owner, who was being very helpful in showing us around. He gave us a map and GPS, but nothing else. He also flew me from one side of the map to the middle to meet up with my friends, after I got killed trying to meet up with them previously.

Anyway, we were all gathered together around this hacker's helicopter and chatting about the game, when he suddenly vanishes and exits the server. We didn't know what to do, so kept guard of his helicopter assuming he'd return imminently. Unfortunately, someone must have heard the helicopter earlier and managed to sneak past us and get into the pilot's seat.

Just as the thief is beginning to take off, our hacker friend manages to log back in. By the time he spawns, the helicopter is lifting off and beginning to head off over the trees. Suddenly there's a loud bang, then silence, and then we're all squashed flat as the helicopter just drops straight out of the sky on top of us, killing everyone.

The last thing we heard was presumably the thief, over voice comms, saying, "Dude... did you really just do that?" Fade to black.

That's probably the best hacker incident I've encountered so far. But more often than not, it's that shitty "grey quit" hack that instantly kills your character and locks the game the moment you hit Esc. The sooner the standalone version is released, with proper instanced server-controlled architecture, the better. This sort of lame client-side hacking crap is really killing my passion for what is otherwise a fantastic experience.

So I'm just getting back into DayZ again after a few months hiatus—the amount of hacking going on seemed ridiculous, but there seems to perhaps be less of it now..?

Anyway, some quite decent changes have happened with the release of version 1.8 of the mod:

• basic crafting is finally here, including simple weapons and traps
  • the loot system has been polished and had a load of bugs squashed—stuff no longer randomly vanishes when you put it down!
  • the gear interface has been rebuilt and is much clearer and easier to use
  • you can carry three weapons at once now, including a pistol, a rifle/shotgun, and a melee weapon, and switch between them with ease!

I've also just discovered the excellent iZurvive loot map. It's like the usual DayZ maps you may have used already, but iZurvive lets you create a group and then share markers with everyone in that group. It's quite handy for that extra bit of coordination. (iZurvive is also available as a free app on both Google Play and the App Store, which is extra-useful to have running on your phone or iPad while you're playing!)

So I've duly set up an Idle Thumbs group in iZurvive - secret is wizaaaard (4 A's) - and added my current position to it. If you're still playing, it would be great to see where other Thumbs are in Chernarus, and maybe even get a regular session going like we do with GTA IV and Left 4 Dead.

So, as you all probably are well aware already, the DayZ Standalone Alpha has been released on Steam at last!

I've not played the mod much at all lately, as it was still quite broken even with all the more recent updates. But I'm definitely going to pick up the Standalone Alpha sometime between Christmas and New Year.

Would be great to get something Thumby going!

I agree. Some of us already picked up the game.

The game is still in pre alpha so its a bit buggy and i know that most of the pll

are going to wait for a better release.

But, I would love to get something going the week after xmas.

I will make sure the steamgroup will be updated

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/dayzthumbs

(all izh welcome!)

edit: Wrestel, I made you an officer in the steamgroup so you now has zhe powers!

I just joined the Steam group! Who wants to play sometime soon?

I loved the mod and I am enraptured with the new Standalone. I have been mostly intrigued with the core experience of the mod and not so into the later fan-driven evolved versions, like DayZ Epoch or Day Zero. Base building and even more heightened realism is way cool but the gamey-/mmo-ness of their crafting and trading systems, and their tendency towards the more militarized Arma gear, kinda put me off. I am a scruffy scavenger by heart!

The best part about DayZ is telling friends about the game and my playthroughs. They always think I am embellishing, basically writing game fanfiction, but then begin to ask if this is actually what's happening in the game.

Here's my first post on Facebook about SA, a few hours after release:

The standalone version of Day Z has been released. My first "proper" night in the game's fictitious country Chernarus. Where am I spawned? On the huge pier in front of fucking Chernogorsk, the main city in the game. Death Central. Zombies are not handled the same as in the mod for Arma 2 so I have no idea where they are and how many are in the vicinity. I sneak my way towards a warehouse on the pier to see if I can find any loot (I have only a battery and flashlight in the pockets of my jeans). I hear zombies but do not happen upon or see them. I find a HUGE wrench. I mean like two-handed. Walking past a window (in the dark!) I hear a shot ricochet close by. Someone is already trying to kill me.

I sneak out as fast as I can and wait outside in the bushes. Nobody appears or is about. Must have been a sniper in the city who just happened to see me in the warehouse across the water. Knowing that there's nothing to do but cross the rest of the pier back to the mainland, out in the open, I crawl the whole way behind the cover of a gas pipe. I make it to the outskirts of the central city. Happy with my wrench I figure I should head out to the forest outside of town to log out for the night. I look back at Cherno, a dead and dark city alight with flashes of rapid gunfire. I turn my back on it all and head towards the wooded hills above the city, my character breathing hard the whole while. I keep my distance from the microdistricts that pepper the outskirts of Cherno (only a few trees or bushes anywhere close to them). I see people having their torches on, lighting up entire rooms in the tall apartment buildings, searching for loot. Incredibly stupid, anyone can see them from far away. The sky is cloudless tonight, you can make out a little in the dark. Needless risks.

Keeping to the shadows as I zig and zag along, avoiding open grass as much as I can, sprinting fast when I can't. At one point I hear a crackle from a microphone. Someone is close by, but it's dark enough that I might have ran right past his or her prone body without knowing. We leave each other alone in any case. I finally start the trek up the hills to find a large enough spruce to crawl under.

I'll need to return to the residential areas for water and food the next time I log on. My character is very thirsty.

Received the Standalone for Christmas, been playing loads since then. I never played the mod (was waiting for the Standalone) but I've been thinking of going back and picking it up (if it shows up in the Steam sale).

I'd like to start playing with a group as I keep getting killed on sight, no matter how well I'm geared, and playing with other like-minded people seems like the best way to proceed. I've joined the Day Z Thumbs group on Steam so hopefully I'll see some of you in game!

Ugh. Alright, have fun I guess. I wanted to try this out but as usual I can only attend events scheduled on weekends. But if you guys have a good group going then by all means go for it.

Mmh lets change it to saturday. We dont really have a group yet.

Either is fine by me.

Let me know what day works best for all you, Saturday or Sunday. 

oh wauw my sense of time is really messed up. I thought it was saturday today :o

Its not tonight! But tomorrow night! so yea... dont miss tomorrow night!

I just had an eventful evening of DayZ with a bunch of folks (Lu, SirPocket, BadEend and MalcolmLittle). I wish I had the sense to record everything as a video but screenshots will have to do for now. Apologies for posting links to the screenshots to my steam page, but it's much easier for me this way.

Our first accidental death was also the funniest one. While defending our group from a zombie, SirPocket accidentally struck BadEend with an axe. He started bleeding out and was immediately unconscious. Quite unexpectedly, his body glitched out and started being dragged along the ground on its own. Perhaps, as he claimed, it was being carried away by opportunistic zombie ants. We tried everything to stop the body or even the bleeding, but nothing worked and he was eventually forced to respawn.

The second accidental death will perhaps be better explained by MalcomLittle himself. We had finally found each other and were making our way across a dam, when he suddenly falls to his death off a ledge. Apparently that was his fourth (?) consecutive death falling from a height.

Sadly our group did not actually accomplish much during our journey. In our group of five, I was the only one located in North America and my lag eventually got much worse. We decided to switch servers, which unfortunately reset my character for whatever odd reason and that brought an end to our journey.

Here are all the screenshots I took on my steam community page.

I had a blast yesterday! Even though we didnt do that mutch I enjoyed the walking around with you guys, Im definitely up for some more DayZ next week.

I've learned alot more about that game thanks to MalcolmLittle! Thanks buddy :D 

Lets hope this axe murderder can keep his axe from hitting a friendly and malcolm will overcome his height problems :D So we can kick some ass next time ! ;)

When we were crossing the little dam, it crossed my mind that I might fall off and die, so I made it a point to look straight ahead. Then I was struck with a few moments of disbelief when I found out Malcolm had actually fallen off and died.

We briefly crossed paths with another player too, who we then sent on his merry way (without killing him).

I saw this pop up in the group, but couldn't make it. I would love (love) to play with other dudes. I'll be looking out for other announcements. I should get back in to following the thread. :)