Lu 

The DayZ thread of TEAMWORK and STORIES

Why doesn't this have its own thread yet? Well, now it does. So, I've heard I'm not the only one who got sucked into this Arma mod. I figured it'd be nice to have a place to talk about DayZ stuff and share stories OF SURVIVAL! We have a Steam group if you want to connect with other DayZ playing Thumbs. You can find it here.

Maybe some time I'll tell you guys about how I accidentally blew myself up with my own grenade after I survived for like 8 hours... But that shit ain't funny to me yet. :(

:owned:

I will tell the story then :)

After a good 2 hours of trying to join a server with Lucien and Mike and trying to find eighother in Cherna (orientation is a hard thing, isnt it Mike ?(jkjk) ;)

After we finally met up somewhere between Cherno and Elektro we decided we would head into Cherno to get some bloodpacks. It had to be an in and out mission as most

people know Cherno is full of Bandits and shit loads of zombies. As we moved in on the Hostpital, Lucien told us he had found some bloodpacks early on, on the top of

the Hostpital, this meant we didnt had to break the windows to get in and wouldn't alarm any zombies. The mission whent smooth we picked up the bloodpacks from the roof and decides to head North

into the less populated areas. After a couple of hours of surviving (Mike died once as he thought he could tank zombies) [sidenote: he couldn't] we where nearing the NW Airport.

This was our main goal of the day, and by now we had been playing for over 7 hours full of gear, food, drinks, weapons. We decided to walk around the airstrip as we approach from the

South side. When we reach the other end we moved in, verry slowly. Checking all the houses we could enter and almost found nothing. Next we enterted the big hangers.

After checking some of them, we moved back into the trees surrounding the airstrip for a different angle of approach. This is where shit hit the fan. One of us alerted a zombie we killed it but a shitload

of zombies came running after us. I panicd and started running away to get some distance between me and them and kiting them around. While i was doing this I runned past Lucien, so now he aggro'd a couple of them. Mike already moved back into the trees and gave cover fire from a distance. Earlier that day Lucien picked up a frag grenade from an army zombie. "Might come in handy" he said. Mike warned him to

be carefull with that. As I was kiting 6 or 7 zombies and trying to kill them, I saw Lucien shooting and running at 2 or 3 zombies. I Turned away for a second and heard a lound banging noise next to me, It was Lucien grenade. I turned around and saw a body getting blew in the air by the power of the grenade. I though it was a zombie. It was quite on skype for a moment. Then i heard Lucien saying he died. I asked him how, he said he didnt know. Mike asked him if he died to the grenade we just heard. He said yes, turned out that in Luciens panic and I think it was a bit buggy, he switched to his grenade thinking he was holding his gun, so he tapped this mouse instead of holding an throwing it, he threw it infront of his own feet and blew up. 8 hours of survivel and tactical plannend missions, came to end by a fraggrenade we didnt really need in the first place.

Lesson, dont pick up fraggrenades in DayZ xD or just be carefull with switching to it :D

I've played it once. I killed some zombies. Then I didn't really know what to do or why do it. I think I'll have to log in to kill my wounded character before I play with you.

DayZ has no real goals so that can be a bit weird sometimes yes.

You kinda make your own goals in DayZ. Group up survive and have fun.

I still haven't played DayZ. I downloaded the ridiculous amount of files required for installation. But haven't gotten around to even installing yet. Guess I better get on that, now that we have a steam group and a thread?

Played some yesterday night, suppose I'll do a little write-up if it would entertain you guys.

My friend Nathan is the one who persuaded me to buy the game and get this mod, and he'd already had some experience with it. I loaded up the game and spawned near a lighthouse. It took some time to fully describe my location, but it turned out we were only about a kilometre away from each other. I waited atop the aforementioned lighthouse as Nathan ran towards me. I figured out how to draw my pistol and decided that I was ready. I wasn't.

At first things felt easy, we headed towards a small lake that he had been staying at previously, the area was quiet and we stayed for a short while, attempting to hack down a tree (I say attempting, the result was a load of flares being strew across a forest.) Our map indicated that there was some sort of settlement over the hill near us, we ascended the hill slowly, descended the other side and had to ascend to the ruins.

Ruins would imply that something had stood there previously, if this were indeed the case it had been very, very ruined. We found a single stone arch, presumably a doorway, and nothing of use.

After finding a Lee Enfield rifle but no compatible rounds in a hut not too far away, we headed towards air hangar, however, this was overrun with zombies, so we quietly backed away and instead headed for a small village which looked somewhat safer.

It was not safer, we managed to escape while attracting only one hopper-style zombie, which we took out further away without alerting anything more. We just needed somewhere else to go now.

Further along the village we saw a factory of sorts, we decided to take the long way around and found a zombie outside, we took a different route than we thought we would at first, by climbing on top of a roof and then coming down the other side. As carefully as possible we sneaked around into the factory and found only a pistol which was of no use, seen as though there was no suitable ammunition around. We exit the factory and head for a barn in the distance.

Around the barn we find one walker-style zombie and a hopper. I have no experience with the walkers, but I don't need to learn quickly as we dodge through them and enter into the barn. We search the area for anything of use and find depressingly little for our troubles, at one point we're both on the highest rafter, at which point a zombie visibly walks through a wall into the barn. I convince myself it's a glitch and sure enough, the zombie stutters back through the wall. This means that at least one zombie is waiting for us on the other side.

We both retire for the night as the tension gets too much, and it's 2am by this point.

Day the second:

Fortunately, due to the power of servers, the zombies around us have disappeared. However, the loot has also changed, we find two magazines for my Lee Enfield and three steel bolts for Nathan's crossbow. We head for a larger town nearby.

The fields leading to this town are littered with zombies, we avoid some and confront others, in the process learning that either A) Nathan can't shoot straight or B) The crossbow is useless.

When we arrive, we decide to head for a supermarket, as this should have valuable rations and possibly rounds. We enter armed with pistols, a stealthier approach. I see a zombie run across the parking lot as the door closes in front of me, I hope this alleviates the problem for now at least.

We turn to find two more zombies running towards us, the first is dispatched with ease, but the second cuts us both, causing us to bleed out. If zombies around hadn't already been alerted to our presence, the letting loose of about three magazines of bullets may have helped. In my heart of all hearts I hope that these zombies were already in the building, we turn into the next room, spying ammunition and a rifle on the opposite side of the room. I run to the doors and shut them, not realising that this does not effect zombies as they can teleport through them, at least delaying them would have been nice. I leave Nathan to organise the loot and peer back through the corridor to the room we began in. Behind a bare stack of shelves, two sets of dead eyes turn to face me. I raise my rifle and their bodies fall to the floor, their dead eyes shut once again. I return to Nathan for a second, and then head back to the corridor.

Over Skype I couldn't quite describe both the events that befell my eyes and the urgency with which we had to move at the time, but words to the effect of,"There are zombies in a line heading towards us, we need to leave now." may have helped at the very least. Instead, in my own incompetence I simple step backwards and signal Nathan to look at the doorway, which now has a stream of zombies filtering through and spreading through the room. It becomes obvious to us that we have to run. I fire off two shots in reasonably quick succession and sprint for the doors.

It didn't quite help that I had closed these doors, but a quick mouse click prevented me from the fate that befell my partner, and I run into the distance. I crouch behind a bale of hay and patch myself up, I have lost almost 5 6ths of my blood. My eyes twitch and blur, and I pass out...

So yeah, sweet mod.

Is the Sunday game plan still going on? (announcement on Steam group info) I'd definitely be down for that.

I've been hopping on whenever I can, dying constantly, enjoying the hell out of it.

Notable events:

Wandering near the coast, I paused to scan up ahead, only to see a giant herd of around 30 zombies running in my direction. I managed to get out of their way (they hadn't seen me) and watched stupefied as this intimidating sight streamed past. Annoyingly, it kept dropping stragglers so it was as if the game was dragging a zombie spawning brush in front of me.

A tense shootout with another player in the second story of a house in Chernus. I was happily looting away when I heard footsteps coming down the hall. I hastily typed in 'friendly?' in the direct com channel and got no response. I realized, much to my chagrin, that even crouching and creeping he could hear my footsteps as well as I could hear his. Eventually he enters the room and spies me cowering in a corner. I'm a bit ashamed to admit that I shot first, I couldn't stand the tension any longer. I didn't know whether he was a bandit or not and never will as I went down under a hail of his retaliatory fire.

Last night was so fun.

I joined with a friend and after an hour or so of wandering around I find him above Cherno and we head inland. I'm dying of thirst at this point and he has an empty water can so we head toward the nearest town with a pump. After wandering through the woods for a bit we find the town but also alert some nearby zombies. One zombie chases my friend into the woods as he tries to lose him in the trees. Having nothing to do and dying of thirst anyway, I head into town to see if I could find some water cans. I find a hatchet but little else. Meanwhile my friend had lost the zombie but gets lost himself and is slowly making his way back to my location. I manage to sneak by a worryingly large number of zombies and find the pump. I try to fill an empty whiskey bottle I had on me but I guess it only accepts water cans. So I'm stuck in this awful situation of being nearly dead from dehydration with a water source sitting right in front of me.

My friend finally finds the town again but manages to alert basically every single zombie in the place. Having no ammo he just legs it toward me, maybe hoping to fill up his can at the pump before the zombies get to us. This doesn't pan out so well. We both end up getting chased by zombies and run in scattered directions. I wind up in a house and whip out the hatchet. Holy shit, the hatchet is exceedingly effective at dispatching zombies. I kill about 6 and decide: fuck it, i'm going to die of thirst - this is a near certainty - I might as well go down swinging and protecting my friend as he fills his own can. So I let him know the plan, we both head toward the pump and I hack mercilessly at the zombie horde as he fills his own bottle. Selflessly he attempts to pass me the bottle to drink first but I'm already too far gone and the bottle has fallen under a zombie corpse. I die from combined dehydration and blood loss. But I took a dozen or so zeds with me. And hopefully my friend will find that wayward water can and survive himself.

In a similar vein to the zombie spawning bush anecdote, me and a few friends were playing, just looting a couple of houses when my one friend who was in front called that there was someone running on the road being followed by zombies. Picturing one or two, I thought maybe we could save them. How wrong I was. I looked through the gate to see him tear past with a near endless stream following him, it was like watching a parade go by, complete with a sad single float that has somehow lost the pack in the form of a straggling monkey zombie. We watched him disappear into the night and saluted his efforts. What a brave man he was.

That entire thing has this weird, overly excitable cultish air that is really great.

I love the idea of a trade center with guards THAT TURNS OUT TO BE THE THUNDERDOME!!!! Holy shit.

Well it took me 2 hours, but I figured out how to equip the hatchet. Once I did that I did survive for about an hour, much of it spent dizzy from blood loss and dehydration. Ran into a friendly who took to covering me, but he didn't speak english so I couldn't ask him for water. Not sure if he knew why I passed out every couple minutes, but I'd always wake up to him lying next to me. And then some jerk teleported the entire server to the same spot and loaded everybody with guns, ruined my fun.

After about 2 hours, repeated spawns and a map that I looked up on google, I was able to find my friend near Elektrozavodsk. We found some hatchets and were looking around the city for a car, but at some point a zombie broke my leg somehow and I had to hide in a building while my friend trekked across the town to the nearest hospital. He got shot down and a zombie killed me while I was prone.

Check out videos of 'Sacriel' on YT. That guy is scary, and you better hope you never meet him. We met him once, we think. Never saw him, just all died.

Just thought I would pop a DayZ story here apropos of the live stream.

My first survivorm'n was doomed from the start. He arrived on the shore without a weapon, supplies or local knowledge; fear was all he had. Having heard of the bandits that stalk the coastline he instinctively began moving towards a vast forest ahead of him. Half remembering a dozen war films he decided to follow hedgerows, keeping low and rarely stopping.

A bright blue road sign stood in stark contrast to the grey little town beyond. Excitedly but cautiously he edged towards it knowing that discovering where his journey had begun could he valuable if he found a map. Cyrillic, the sign was written in an alphabet he had once studied for a month in school, over three years ago. His efforts to decipher the alphabet were pointless, and distracted him from the figures moving towards him. A moan told him it was time to give up and get to the woods, but by this time the zombies were meters away. Crawling back to the bushes he felt dejected and silly for putting himself in danger for no reward.

Reaching the forest he found time to gather his thoughts and committed himself to a cautious, solitary and transitory existence, deciding to avoid anybody he saw and stay clear of towns. He had come closer than he wanted to the shambling dead and had no desire to fight, not that he could without a weapon.

In vast loops he skulked through the forests, looting farms for sustenance, never finding a weapon other than a large splitting axe he hoped to never use. He had learned that the dead were stupid and almost oblivious to the cautious survivor. The living proved mostly absent from the forests he tread. Once a desperate man ran in the opposite direction on the other side of the road he was following (he always walked a few meters from the road) pursued by a pack of screaming zombies. He watched impotently as the man was chased out of view.

A barn stood before him on the outskirts of a small town, deep in the heart of the country. No zombies weren't close enough to notice the man walk into the barn, but when he stepped through the door he saw two standing on the hay shelves. Panicked he turned and ran straight into a zombie blocking the door he had come through. Swinging his axe frantically he killed the hungry monsters. Having been knocked to the ground he stood and tried to move back to the empty barn. Falling to the ground he realised his leg was broken.

He crawled to the barn in the hope that there would be something to mend his broken bone. A rifle and ammunition lay where a zombie had stood. Cursing himself for running he took the weapon and crawled back outside. He wasn't going to starve to death with a broken leg, he was going to kill as many zombies as he could before they tore him apart. Shaking with pain he aimed at a zombie less than 100 meters away and fired, it reeled an collapsed. He felt satisfied with this ending. He felt like one of the good guys, doomed to fail as a man never meant to be put in his situation, but who in the end could die like a hero.

Then a figure came from the left, a survivor, roughly equidistant from him and his target. "Friendly, friendly! I need help! Help me!" the crippled survivor shouted, all sense of heroism smothered by a desire to live. The stranger circled around in a wide arc and came back into view on the right hand side of the survivor who as still begging for help. Unspeaking, he fired both barrels of his shotgun into the desperate man, killing him instantly.

I'll never know how the murderer perceived our meeting. That is what makes DayZ so interesting/magical to me, every personal story has an oblique counterpart.

Haven't played enough yet to have anything worth sharing. Could someone please invite me to the Day Z Thumbs Steam group please?

So due to the Thumbs stream, and happening to stumble across the Hunger Gamez this past weekend, I was FASCINATED by Day Z in a way I haven't felt about any other games for a while. I perched it over the weekend and aside from some annoying issue getting it going, I've been having an absolute blast. I've joined the group (same name, same AV) so if someone would like to team up and pal around evenings EST I would happily do that because I've only had two brief interactions that didn't end with one of us waking up to a fresh spawn on a beach (and not even many of those).

Ok so that's the teamwork part, and now I have stories I've been bursting to tell. The first was my maybe first ever spawn into the game. No idea where I was, didn't have/want outside resources (interactive map), didn't know exactly how to do anything. I could make a lot of exposition, but the round ended with me literally sitting among medical tents bleeding out, with my backpack STUFFED full of medical supplies because I could not bandage myself fast enough. The only firearm I found was an M16, with exactly zero rounds.

The other happened last night. I decided I wanted to try a relatively full server, since I figure I'll die early and often and maybe it should at least be interesting. As I'm headed into Tcherno after a fresh spawn, the server blips and resets and I hop back in to about 5 people where there were 45 two minutes before. It's closing in on dusk. So the bustling sniper zone has turned into a ghost town. I get really lucky and find a boatload of gear and a pack in the church, a building, etc. My only two goals are hitting the firehouse as a Just In Case, and hitting the well on the NW side of town to fill a canteen. I scour the firehouse, but there's barbed wire in front of the stairs that makes it inaccessible. I noticed a ladder and wonder if there's a way in on the roof. I climb up, search around, go ALLLL the way to the top of the fire house (you'll notice I'm still alive at this point, which confirms the low pop), can't get in. Damn, I see supplies.

Suddenly, I hear a noise. I correctly guess that someone with a tool box is coming in and snipping the wires so they can check for gear. I'm on the roof, but I'm right by the window and can COMPLETELY cover the stairs. This person could have been immediately dead, and had no way of knowing I was there. At this point I'm much more fascinated by interaction than just KILLIN DUDES, so I make the decision to just watch. I also chose NOT to announce myself, as even announcing I have them dead to rights but am friendly could get me killed anyway. So I position myself where I can see in 3rd person, but there's no way to get a shot at me. This person is loaded. They have an M4, a glock, a nice pack, obviously a tool kit. I watch them slowly check gear on the second floor, then the third, then ascend past my spot on the stairs. They root around, then start the descent. I shifted around a little, so I'm sure they were alerted but probably couldn't pin down my location. They go downstairs, I hear them eat and drink. I'm covering everything I can, and see them slip out the back towards the west, check the corners, and disappear around a building. I climb down and check the spoils, pick up probably another tool, and the G17 they had been using but decided to leave behind in favor of... something. I finish, check out an industrial building, fill my canteen, and I'm out of town to the North.

TL;DR: For at least 10-15 minutes, absolutely nothing happened at all. And it was one of the coolest, most intense 15 minutes I've ever had playing games.