Sign in to follow this  
tabacco

American Dad

Umm, okay. So its exactly like Family Guy, with exactly the same kind of characters, except with the one twist that dad is some kind of super agent? I mean, it sounds good, but holy shit it's like they took the Family Guy template and painted a few new ideas over it.

And even Family Guy was your basic Simpsons-ripoff (come on, get off it, there's really no use denying it). Now I liked Family Guy, and I'm sure I'll like American Dad. But why do the same thing twice? From an artists perspective, that's the same as doing nothing at all. You're standing still, not growing or expanding. And that seems a waste for, assumingly, a skilled writer. I know I'd rather explore uncharted territory, even if it meant not knowing whether it'd be as good as the last success.

One gets the feeling that they were developing this show before Family Guy got picked up again, and then once Family Guy came back out of the blue they just decided to go with both of them. Kinda weird though.

It's not as if The Simpsons invented the family sitcom, or even the animated one (there is a rather crap old Hanna Barbara animated family sitcom set in subibria called "just wait till your father gets home," which looked far more Family Guy than The Simpsons, for instance :shifty: and you can't forget... The Flintstones). Family Guy probably owes its existence to The Simpsons (and possibly Ren & Stimpy) because The Simpsons re-paved the way for evening cartoon shows, but it's not some blatant ripoff if you watch one and then watch the other.

Rip-off might've been too big a term. But it suited more in the context of my story; about an artist that will usually seek to do something fresh and original.