toblix

G4ming Keyb0rdz

Mine's the Logitech G15, as discussed in the desk thread:

300px-Logitech_G15v2.png

I never use the G buttons, other than for a while I had copy and paste on the two lower ones, and that was pretty nice. I haven't gotten the drivers to work since switching to Win7. The LED screen superfluous, but still nice to have a monitor for memory/CPU usage, or what is currently playing. Media controls, mute button and anti-windows-button-switch are all good. All keys feel pretty good, I like a good clack in my keyboards. Also has two USBs on the back.

Whenever I've plugged anything into the USB ports on mine it's complained about lack of power.

Many years ago (before I defected to Mac) I was looking for a solid full-size keyboard. I went to Futureshop and Best Buy, and looked at every keyboard. None of them had all the keys in the right place. Either the arrow keys were wrong, or the Insert "block" was 2x3 (instead of 3x2), or yes, the home key was missing (!!!), or there was no numpad, or something. What's worse, all the keys were spongy as hell.

Then I passed by the Apple Wired Keyboard. It was, oddly enough, the best Windows keyboard I had found. All the keys were in the right place, the low profile felt ergonomic, and the keys have a satisfying (if a little shallow) click.

The MacBook joined the keyboard (and iPod) only a couple of months later, and now I'm hopelessly drowning in Apple tech.

(My mouse, on the other hand, is a simple two-button optical Microsoft mouse. I bought it to play Doom 3 on my then newly acquired laptop. It's lasted me ever since. I have no idea what I'm going to do if/when it dies on me. I ... try not to think about it)

I have one of the glowy razer ones, and it's pretty good (not the macro one though). Also have a wired mac kb for my mbp, as posted above, and it's magical to use. Really excellent.

I have a glowy Saitek myself. Not amazing, but has performed admirably for close to seven years now and shows no signs of stopping. I think it's called an Eclipse? It's been so long since I bought the damn thing I don't really remember. I remember that at the time I'd never heard of backlit keys before, and now they're everywhere, so it's certainly been a while.

I have a Saitek Cyborg V.5, which I bought mostly because I'd spilled something on my old Mac keyboard and I thought it would be funny to have a Saitek Cyborg (due to all the mentions of the Cyborg mouse on the Idle Thumbs podcast). It has a red backlight, but other than that, it's pretty much just a keyboard.

I used to always have Keytronic keyboards in the past, mostly a few KT-3000 keyboards, about like what Nappi posted.

These days I try to find those rare keyboards that don't have any shortcut buttons or other extra buttons. I want my keyboard to be plain and simple old school layout, but I also wanted to get rid of extra cords on my gaming desk.

At the moment mine isn't completely old school as Logitech annoyingly tried to save space and changed the home/end/insert etc. buttons from 2x3 horizontal rows to 3x2 vertical rows.

So mine at the moment is Logitech Cordless Desktop MK 250.

Dk9Tp.jpg

At work I have basic HP keyboard due to my employer having a contract with HP, but instead of regular mouse I use RollerMouse Free2 that looks something like this:

mqWAL.jpg

And that solution is because 8-10 hours every day using computer at work is killing my wrists that were already damaged because of 20 years of gaming at home and this helps A LOT.

Mine's the Logitech G15, as discussed in the desk thread:

300px-Logitech_G15v2.png

I never use the G buttons, other than for a while I had copy and paste on the two lower ones, and that was pretty nice. I haven't gotten the drivers to work since switching to Win7. The LED screen superfluous, but still nice to have a monitor for memory/CPU usage, or what is currently playing. Media controls, mute button and anti-windows-button-switch are all good. All keys feel pretty good, I like a good clack in my keyboards. Also has two USBs on the back.

I have this keyboard too, pretty much agree with everything Hermie said. The LED screen has never had proper functionality, so I'm not really eager to jump on another Logitech keyboard with a screen despite there being far nicer ones out now. I've had it for about three years so I'm prepared to retire it (it just has this grimy feel that I can't alleviate no matter how much isopropyl alcohol I use).

That said, I'm currently considering buying the "Logitech Gaming Keyboard G110" (below). It looks essentially the same as any other Logitech gaming keyboard except without pretty much any frills. The only neat little feature it has is a built in USB sound card so you can plug a headset right into the keyboard. Seems like a convenient feature since I have to clear my desk of all wires when I'm not around because of my bitey cats.

RPuiPl.jpg

This is my keyboard, there are many like them, but this is mine:

A wireless dell keyboard I mostly bought for the media player controls.

That's crazy, that's the exact same one as I have, sans wireless. What I hate about it is that the USB ports in the back seem broken or made wrong. Nothing really fits into them without a struggle.

I just walk into clas ohlson (a cheap swedish hardware store), and buy the white box that says KEYBOARD on it in black letters.

How are those Clas Ohlson keyboards? I'm interested, we have one in town even though we are not in Sweden.

I remember probably every school I went to had those exact same Keytronic keyboards as Nappi and Kolzig mentioned. FINLAND.

Oh, and nobody answered toblix's question about the Nordic layout. Apart from having the extra characters we need, it's terrible. Keys have been changed around for no reason, and you can tell programming languages and OSs like Linux were designed with regular keyboards in mind.

I'd be interested in getting a mechanical keyboard, but probably not a stupid looking one from Razer. And I probably could do with one that wasn't mechanic but had keys that felt very good to type with. As long as it didn't look gamey or wavey. My current one is

Logitech-Cordless-Desktop-Wave-Pro-Keyboard.jpg

and it was passable until I spilled red wine on it. Having media keys is nice, the other extras just take up space. Having a rest for your wrist is important, but the keyboard doesn't have to look like you left it out in the sun and it melted. Maybe that looks more natural in other countries, but it looks stupid in Finland because that doesn't happen.

How are those Clas Ohlson keyboards? I'm interested, we have one in town even though we are not in Sweden.

I remember probably every school I went to had those exact same Keytronic keyboards as Nappi and Kolzig mentioned. FINLAND.

Oh, and nobody answered toblix's question about the Nordic layout. Apart from having the extra characters we need, it's terrible. Keys have been changed around for no reason, and you can tell programming languages and OSs like Linux were designed with regular keyboards in mind.

I'd be interested in getting a mechanical keyboard, but probably not a stupid looking one from Razer. And I probably could do with one that wasn't mechanic but had keys that felt very good to type with. As long as it didn't look gamey or wavey. My current one is

Logitech-Cordless-Desktop-Wave-Pro-Keyboard.jpg

and it was passable until I spilled red wine on it. Having media keys is nice, the other extras just take up space. Having a rest for your wrist is important, but the keyboard doesn't have to look like you left it out in the sun and it melted. Maybe that looks more natural in other countries, but it looks stupid in Finland because that doesn't happen.

I bought this keyboard hoping to use it at home, but I just got input lag way too often so I delegated it to BYOD office use. I still really don't trust wireless accessories for the sake of gaming.

Relatedly! Anyone in the US who wants an old-school IBM Model M, I have like 3 of them in my cupboard. PS/2 input only but I bet there are adapters.

Do you have any clue how heavy a Model M would be to ship internationally? I ain't paying that.

Oh, save it for the confession!

I'm joking though, I wouldn't need one. None of the American players can even find the 'sit' key in Arma 2. What use is such a keyboard?

So I got my mechanical keyboard today. Played a bit of Quake and programmed a bit of Java. Seems to work all right, though there's a CLICK CLACKETY CLICK CLACK

My keyboard is a case in point example of why you shouldn't eat at your desk.

It useed to be super responsive and the keys pressed really easy, now they stay down once they've been pressed.

I have the typing noise problem, mostly because I have one of those keyboard shelf/draw thingies, which just amplifies the sound and makes it sound like I'm banging on a drum.

Surprisingly good, it's just as good as Logitech keyboards at least, just missing those silly macro keys and useless back lighting. Lasted me a year so far.

So I got my mechanical keyboard today. Played a bit of Quake and programmed a bit of Java. Seems to work all right, though there's a CLICK CLACKETY CLICK CLACK

Which did you get?

I got a Qpad MK-85. It's actually got silent red switches, but the low resistance makes me push them harder and further than I really need to, all the way in, which makes for a clackity clicking. That's just a matter of adjusting, though, so I'll become a silenter and more stealthy typist.