pabosher

Obligatory Comical YouTube Thread II: The Fall of YouTube

It's possible I already posted this in this thread, but it never fails to make me laugh after all of these years. Such masterful filmmaking.

I want those centrifuge brain project rides in the next rollercoaster tycoon. They're awesome!

Ugh I want that dog. My dog (my sister's dog really) just whines until you scratch his greasy butt. I want a dog that just smiles when I jam.

You know, that dog video has my cynicism hairs tingling. Smells like a viral ad for Bud Lite to me. It's presented as the dog's natural reaction to the music, but that's not how dogs react to music, at least not in my experience growing up with them. Head bobbing in time to a beat -- and especially, picking a steady beat out of a swinging, irregular riff like -- and smiling by just turning up the lips, aren't real canine reactions.

The way the lips move, especially around the nose, seems fishy to me as well, but maybe I'm overanalysing that. There's also something about the way the shot is framed that just doesn't sell me as natural and spontaneous either. That big-ass logo arranged just so, the static shot that makes image editing so much easier, the fact that the dog doesn't get distracted or just generally dog around except when a director would want it to, the lack of humans reacting... yeah, call me a jaded killjoy, but I just don't buy any of it. I'd guess that the dog was filmed against a greenscreen, coached to do the basic expression-change thing a few times, maybe shaken lightly out of shot, edited to emphasise the smile and synch it all up with the music, and then superimposed in. 

The musician seems like exactly the kind of guy that would partner up with Bud for a bit of viral cross-marketing either. He has another video where he denies being a "Budweiser representative" but that's not the same as not having made a video with them. He does say it was "really meant to" drive traffic to his own sites, which the vid is caption-plastered with, so given it has about 10 million views he's either a marketing genius or a lucky son of a bitch, even if it is real, spontaneous and has nothing to do with Budweiser. But given the history of fake viral tie-ins, I'm going with the Bud connection.

This has been your daily grinch report from dogface.

Well, given that one of the related videos is 'dog loves marketing' I'm pretty sure that something's up, yeah.

You know, that dog video has my cynicism hairs tingling. Smells like a viral ad for Bud Lite to me. It's presented as the dog's natural reaction to the music, but that's not how dogs react to music, at least not in my experience growing up with them. Head bobbing in time to a beat -- and especially, picking a steady beat out of a swinging, irregular riff like -- and smiling by just turning up the lips, aren't real canine reactions.

The way the lips move, especially around the nose, seems fishy to me as well, but maybe I'm overanalysing that. There's also something about the way the shot is framed that just doesn't sell me as natural and spontaneous either. That big-ass logo arranged just so, the static shot that makes image editing so much easier, the fact that the dog doesn't get distracted or just generally dog around except when a director would want it to, the lack of humans reacting... yeah, call me a jaded killjoy, but I just don't buy any of it. I'd guess that the dog was filmed against a greenscreen, coached to do the basic expression-change thing a few times, maybe shaken lightly out of shot, edited to emphasise the smile and synch it all up with the music, and then superimposed in. 

The musician seems like exactly the kind of guy that would partner up with Bud for a bit of viral cross-marketing either. He has another video where he denies being a "Budweiser representative" but that's not the same as not having made a video with them. He does say it was "really meant to" drive traffic to his own sites, which the vid is caption-plastered with, so given it has about 10 million views he's either a marketing genius or a lucky son of a bitch, even if it is real, spontaneous and has nothing to do with Budweiser. But given the history of fake viral tie-ins, I'm going with the Bud connection.

This has been your daily grinch report from dogface.

Hmmm, maybe. I'm still inclined to think there's some editing going on, to get from that general reaction to the solid, on-off control in the original. And I've seen similar denials from viral tie-in fakes in the past (like the can-throwers).

Of course, even if it is purely shot in-situ, it could still easily be a product placement viral (like I said, he describes it as essentially a viral for his own site, at the least), but I admit the case for Budweiser being involved is less strong then. Then again, if this article is to be believed, by arguing about it I'm just helping it go viral for both parties... even if Bud never had a thing to do with it!

Maybe I just have an icy, incredulous heart. Or maybe this is why marketers co-opting gossip and human interest is just another part of what makes them so shitty and insidious, throwing the honour of poor dear sweet innocent Golden -- and of fun, strange, or impressive videos in general -- into doubt. :P Obviously I'm hardly the only one suggesting this though, going by their reactions.

Well I've seen dogs react like that. Not to music, admittedly, but you seem to think that the dog is actually enjoying the music -- because his face seems to smile. Lord only know what's going on in that dog's mind, but it's highly unlikely to be, "oh man, I love this song!". Animals are weird, and I don't think it's unreasonable or naive to think that with 24 hour's worth of footage being uploaded to YouTube every second, that one of them might involve 60 seconds of a dog apparently enjoying music.

Also, I didn't even notice the Bud Light can until you pointed it out, so...

that one of them might involve 60 seconds of a dog apparently enjoying music.

That's how they get you, man. The soulless minions of orthodoxy, with their mind tricks. Google "Golden Eagle Snatches Kid"!! Find the truth!!

On topic, this video is also fake: Crab Battle.