pabosher

Obligatory Comical YouTube Thread II: The Fall of YouTube

Can we rename this thread to "Obligatory comical YouTube thread ][: The fall of youtube"?

Also:

part 2:

edit: yaay for the title change! Now all it needs now is a sticky thread!

What are you playing for lunch?

I want that cartridge adapter. 90s commercials were quite something.

I've seen that kind of thing done before. Those experiments are meant to prove that certain primates have a sense of "fairness" - ie. if you somehow cheat them, they will respond negatively. It's pretty interesting to me that what we consider quite a complex and high-level concept, and struggle with on many levels in our socio-economic decision making, is already evolved in the group dynamics of "lesser" primates. Not that I think capuchin monkeys are going to solve our equality issues, but it's neat to see how these kinds of instincts exist in order to facilitate cooperation in species like ours.

I really hope you don't have to be from the UK and like soccer to appreciate these, because they are hilarious if you do. For any americans, all you need know is that Emile Heskey is bad, I mean really bad.

Here some that he does where he riffs on random obscure players that have unfathomably high stats.

Does anyone watch / care for TAS videos? Tool-Assisted Speedruns, that is. I get why people wouldn't like them but they either allow you to see the deconstruction of a game's mechanics / rules, or stupid shit like this:

There is something sexy about an unfathomably efficient play-through, but I don't care for TASs. They lack the skill factor of a human player, and the brutal efficiency of a 100% computer driven "perfect game". In TASs the actual speedrun is often secondary to the player showing off what his tool can do. The video you posted is a good example of this... a speed run of a fixed speed side scrolling shooter, no attempt is made for a high score, and the player even dies around the 7m30s mark (WAT!). Clearly the it's all about the tool, and nothing to do with the game. As such, I always assumed that TASs were only legitimately interesting to other TAS players/developers.

TAS? I care about tool aided playtroughts. But not about TAS per se. It really depends on the execution. Most old games are really fixed in their gameplay. It's quite often possible to simply record a playthrough and reply the actions to get a perfect game. That stuff, sucks. But a tool that is also able to play through arbitrary levels that follow the game rules, that I like. But at a certain point it become meaningless. For example, mario brothers 1, 3 and world have been tool aided to death. There's no awesomeness in it anymore. And now people use the tools to compose music based on the sound effects (that's somewhat interesting).

Concerning that video... The movement feels too cheaty.

Does he just get weirder as he gets older? Man.

Following our fine tradition of "not funny but you should watch it".

[media=]

[/media]

That chick is so weirdly, hypnotically animated when she plays violin.

Also man I love violin and that's relevant to comedic youtube video threads.

All performance violinist seem to have that complex.

My theory.

Demon possession.

Either that or they all just went to the Andre Reiu concert.

I was watching the first youtube link, and clicked through to the game gold goldblum segment of idlethumbs, and from there I came here:

[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLjCM5UzSD4&feature=related[/media]

Thanks for that, I can't watch Conan anymore because no cable and I never go to the TBS site, but every Goldblum and Conan interview is gold. This is one of the tamer ones even.

[media=]

(The second one is better and has Abed from Community.)