Jake

New Forums! Post feedback, notes, etc here

Also this thread used to be pinned, right? Perhaps the Welcome thread knocked them off their perch!

I unpinned some of the megathreads because they float by the top anyway, and the number of pinned threads was a little out of control.

Post count doesn't matter or anything, but does it make sense not to count Idle Banter posts for it? I haven't been reading this forum for long but the long running threads there seem like a big part of the community.

It's mostly because it doesn't matter, and sometimes people get weirdly competitive about post counts, or put too much weight on them as a measure of post quality.

What about being able to like/dislike a post with the click of a little 16x16 icon like on other boards?

Noooope.

I propose we only have a dislike button, no like button. I want to see how it affects people.

Let me tell you how it will affect people: people will freak out every time they get a dislike and demand to know the reason why.

Let me tell you how it will affect people: people will freak out every time they get a dislike and demand to know the reason why.

Well, it'll take some worth, but it's worth it to build a culture of skepticism, pessimism, and fear that would make Rich Uncle proud.

I still really like this idea, but it's never going to happen on any forum!

You know what I'd love in a forum, is the ability to have 5 or 6 (or infinite, whatever) variations on my avatar, which I can choose from per post. So I can have a sad/happy/winking/angry avatar, depending on the mood of my post, and you can see everyone else's changing through the thread as well.

It probably would in tinbullet. Man, I should get back to that thing some day.

With all the auto-correcting we have on here for things like ********* and Lords Management and opinionated in a way that is different from me, I feel like there's a missed opportunity by not also auto-correcting mage, sorcerer, sorceress, conjurer, enchanter, witch, warlock, etc. to wizaaard.

Not only would someone have to implement that; they'd also have to convince their users to use it properly. What would actually happen is people would have a bunch of completely different avatars between which they'd switch freely, meaning you'd have to remember all these different avatars for everyone which would be even worse than the confusion when people change their avatars in the first place.

Or maybe it'd be great.

True. I would hope that a few users doing it well would set a trend, but there'd always be a few people mucking it up. I guess you could mod ultra-hard - one avatar only unless your set of avatars makes sense. 

Not really a bug per-say, but when you open a DM that's more than one page long on the mobile site, it starts at the first page, instead of the last/where you read up to.

Sphinx is occasionally a bit finicky, and can sometimes fall over, which is what happens when search doesn't return any results even for obvious terms like 'video games'.

It fell over again!

Fixed... it likes to not come back up after boot. I should probably look into that.

True. I would hope that a few users doing it well would set a trend, but there'd always be a few people mucking it up. I guess you could mod ultra-hard - one avatar only unless your set of avatars makes sense. 

Yeah, you might be able to manage it in a small community. The idea reminds me of the old cartoon avatars they used to have for reviewers on Giant Bomb — one each for every score out of five.

Yep... useful note, if you just report one per poster, it's all the same, as we have a one-click button for spam accounts.

Should be working now, let me know if you're still having trouble.

Just a heads-up that the forums should be sending all outbound mail through mailgun.org now, rather than from the web server. Hopefully that improves mail reliability a bunch, but let me know if you're seeing issues.

I went to report a spam direct message, and got a 502 Bad Gateway page. 

Looks like Mailgun is denying mail from us... I'm opening a support ticket to ask what's up.

Should be sending again now. Btw, since PM spam report seem to not be working, can someone who's been receiving it post the username of the sender?

KINGArt_Marco, the message was an invitation to checkout their exciting new kickstarter and fill out a survey so they can best serve me.  Very exciting. 

I'm assuming it was spam, maybe I'm special in some way though.  Newish account, no post history, etc.