Jake

New Forums! Post feedback, notes, etc here

Anything with an accented character seems to blow up at least the mobile site right now due to redirects. Strange.

I didn't mention this before so I'm not sure if it still happening. Noticed this a couple months back

Using the latest version of safari/iPad. trying to upload an image and use it in a post made the browser freak out and gave me an browser error page saying "the website has attempted too many re-directs and the process has been stopped". Never had this problem before ios8

Has anyone else encountered and/or solved this? I'm having problems with the forums when using both Firefox for Android and Firefox for Windows desktop (but not Firefox for Windows on its own).

When I select Mobile Thumb view on Android, the forums also default to mobile view when I'm accessing them from desktop.

But when I then open a thread on Android, it then displays in Full Version view. In that view, pressing Quote to reply isn't practical as the text input box doesn't have enough room to display. Using the Reply To This Topic form doesn't work either, as the Post button is unresponsive.

On Firefox for desktop, quoting does work, but renders the quote's timestamp twice (see here).

I guess that the combination of my browser choice and forum view preference is being saved server-side and that's what's causing problems?

I recently had some similar problems on chrome/chrome for android, but they went away after a few days so I didn't bring it up -- I'd get the mobile view on my computer, and the full view on my phone. It was weird, but it just went away and I don't know why/how?

So there's my super unhelpful input.

YOUTUBE GIFS \o/

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/30449728

But we're not allowed to post them BOOOOOOOOO

I get this error message when i attempt to post:

"You are not allowed to use that image extension on this community."

The forum doesn't like it as it hasn't got .gif .jpg etc at the end of the link (i've experienced this before when try to post images)

Here my first attempt

http://www.youtube.com/gif?v=X22t_4ZQK0w&g=WUR6yFf1_ZA

I was touched by your plight, so I made a dumb tool that creates a redirect URL that ends with .gif

For example, here's the one you linked above:

WUR6yFf1_ZA.gif

I imagine YouTube may eventually add an alternative URL option for this very reason, like some image hosts offer.

I think that the search is broken? I get no results even when I search for something basic like "Kickstarter." I'm sure that's both in the title and content in at least a few threads.

Protip for forum search is to just google for "idle forums [whatever]". Do that, and you might just find that what you were looking for was inside the forums all along.

You can also do this

If you want to be even lazier, you can set up custom searches in Chrome.  Right click on the address bar and pick 'Edit search engines...'  Scroll to the bottom and make a new one for the forums.  You can call it whatever you want and give it a keyword shortcut (I called mine Idle Thumbs and used 'it' for the keyword).  Then put this in for the URL

http://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&q=site:idlethumbs.net/forums+%s

When you want to search the forums, just go to your address bar, type in your keyword shortcut, hit space, then whatever you're looking for.

Protip for forum search is to just google for "idle forums [whatever]". Do that, and you might just find that what you were looking for was inside the forums all along.

OR let me know when stuff is broken so I can fix it.

Search indexing should be working again.

Sphinx is occasionally a bit finicky, and can sometimes fall over, which is what happens when search doesn't return any results even for obvious terms like 'video games'.

Sphinx is occasionally a bit finicky, and can sometimes fall over, which is what happens when search doesn't return any results even for obvious terms like 'video games'.

It fell over again!

Search is not returning any results even for terms I can see in first page forum post titles.

Perhaps kick the Sphinx?

Thanks Doug!

Hope it helped, us telling you the same thing three posts in a row!

Yeah, sorry, I'm on a work trip right now and I spent most of yesterday in a meeting room on top of a mountain, so my internet access was a little shaky.