Jake

New Forums! Post feedback, notes, etc here

It's been talked about in a few threads but I haven't seen a conclusive answer yet. Are we all patched up here for Heartbleed?

Idlethumbs is patched up. Doug is a good admin and fixes that stuff asap. Not sure if the certificate is fresh, because it's a StartSSL cert and they are being serious jerks with re-issues. But chances for compromised private keys (for the cert) are relatively low.

https://www.ssllabs.com/ssltest/analyze.html?d=idlethumbs.net

I updated openssl the same day. I haven't revoked and reissued the private key and cert, but I'm also pretty doubtful that anyone's likely to MITM thumbs. The site's always had perfect forward secrecy, also (well, as long as it's been ssl-enabled), so a stolen private key's also not good against past captured data. Never hurts to change your password if you're concerned, though.

Also: 1password is half off today, for all your password paranoia needs. It's pretty great at making it easy to keep different strong passwords for each thing you use.

A tiny request - Is it possible to make pressing Ctrl + Enter to post a reply, like in generic email clients?

It's a really silly thing, I know.

For me the WYSIWYG editor just disappeared. Also, Firefox is blocking scriptaculous from googleapis and Prototype isn't defined, etc. Things are broken for me :/

ReferenceError: Prototype is not defined ipb.js:56

Blocked loading mixed active content "http://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/scriptaculous/1.8/scriptaculous.js?load=effects,dragdrop,builder"[Learn More] index.php

ReferenceError: ipb is not defined ipb.lang.js:1

Out of curiosity, why not change the servers behind the load balancer to listen on 443 with some self signed certs? 

Is the forum search down? It's not returning any results for some really obvious words.

(not including *********)

e: same for using "find content" on member profiles

Hmm, looks like a Sphinx update broke the forum's search. Downgraded it back and now it's working again.

Forum Search again. If "Find Content > Only Posts" (and also general forum search) is not able to retrieve anything more recent than April 26, is it to do with the Sphinx downgrade (above)?

By contrast, the member profile > posts tab is up to date.

I've recently been too busy to spend much time on forums, so I have a lot of unread posts in some threads. I often start catching up but then only read a couple of pages to come back later. Which makes me wish that something in a forum page showed how many unread posts there still are in a thread before I click the "Go to first unread post" thingie -- that would let me decide whether I want to go into that thread now or later.

Forum feature requests aren't really something I can help with, since we use third party forum software. Sorry :(

Invision Board has pleanty of moddable elements doesn't it? Maybe there's a plugin somebody made to do that. The solution is basically how Something Awful handles new posts, but I know that probably took plenty of time and effort to hack old VB software to get it to work.

I'm having a weird forum issue with the HTML5 video player for Safari (this). It's fine with pages that have multiple videos (example), but on Idle Thumbs forum pages specifically, it can only display the first video on the page. All the others show as blank areas.

Unfortunately, the HTML5 video extension doesn't let you enable/disable by site. The flash based player is poopy and tends to make Mavericks hang nowadays, so I don't want to switch back to it for Thumbs.

Firefox quirk:

Does anyone else find that visiting the Idle Thumbs forums on mobile (Android in this case), switching to mobile view, and then later visiting through the desktop browser results in the mobile view being carried over to desktop (and desktop view then being carried over to mobile)?

I don't like how these forums include text formatting from outside sources, including font size and background color and other weird stuff when I copy-paste. Is there an option to turn that off (without flipping the little light switch to go into hardcore posting mode)? Or maybe an extension for Chrome to just stop it from happening altogether?