Jake

New Forums! Post feedback, notes, etc here

Is that insane /forums/forum link actually present somewhere on the site?

No :(

It's just me being an idiot and erasing the sub-forum part of the URL when the predictive search matches it with 'i' but then I forget if I need to erase the first /forum/ or not.

This isn't related to the forums per se but this thread seems to be where site complaints go:

The "Twitch.tv" link halfway down the main page links to flickr, not twitch. Just thought somebody should know.

Whoops! Fixed. Should be reflected on the homepage within a few minutes.

This might be an expected part of the downtime, but as everything else is back up I'll mention it: I'm getting a weird filename and a server error when trying to download the latest Thumbs 'cast.

*hopes this isn't just him being stupid again*

That's unrelated, I'm afraid. Maybe an issue with a local cdn node? Can you give more detail, like what the weird filename was or what the server error you got was?

Thank you for making it possible for me to edit the "Converted" items from the old forums!

I'm still having a problem with lists. If you preview or edit a post with a list, it'll get weird spaces or even double the number of bullets.

weirdforumrecursion.png

Saw that while viewing this thread: https://www.idlethumbs.net/forums/topic/9289-idle-thumbs-151-a-fascinating-experience/page-3#entry283710

It replaced a YouTube video with a frame containing the very page I was currently viewing. And within that frame, it did the same thing. Within THAT frame, it finally stopped.

I found it amusing, but also figured maybe you'd like to be aware of it. Who knows.

Lol. That seems to be a general IP.Board bug, at least with Chrome. I get it on my forum too.

I could have sworn there was a thread for general site feedback, but I'll put it here and get yelled at instead.

I would give a lot for a "random episode" button at the top of each podcast's archive page. Sometimes I just want to listen to the Thumbs talk while I grade and it's a lot of extra clicks just to find some random episode that I didn't just hear. Thoughts!

Did we ever talk about why the spoiler tags went from being inline black bars (at some point they were, right??) to the 'click to see spoiler' way? I always preferred the blacked out lines thing. Am I in a minority regarding that?

Did we ever talk about why the spoiler tags went from being inline black bars (at some point they were, right??) to the 'click to see spoiler' way? I always preferred the blacked out lines thing. Am I in a minority regarding that?

I also prefer the blacked out lines. They allow you to spoiler a single word or sentence without making the post all ugly and disjointed. Having a button for them would be nice too...

I also prefer the blacked out lines. They allow you to spoiler a single word or sentence without making the post all ugly and disjointed. Having a button for them would be nice too...

Agreed, plus black bars give posts that nice government redacted feel to them. 

I think those black bars work well when you're trying to cover up specific pieces of text, but the expand button has its uses too. Like in this post.

Maybe that's just my own weird preference though.

Every time we update the forum software it reverts the spoiler code to the collapse/expand one, which was so infuriating/tiring that we just gave up. Everything else is generally so nice, that one stupid thing wasn't worth dying over.

But yeah black bars are way better. Or maybe having both? Dunno.

I too think the black bars are better but I like current version's ability to hide huge amounts of text/images.

Also Gormongous, I think a random button is a great idea.

I just try to restructure my spoiler stuff so that it doesn't look funny now with the big tag of text. For a while I kept forgetting and thinking the black bars were still there and everything was becoming a mess.

I just pretend they're still black bars.

Could always just add a custom BBCode such as [inlinespoiler]. I can't remember how they were implemented before, but be aware that touch screen users (phones, tablets) can't highlight text particularly easily and on some devices it doesn't reveal the text in the same way that you'd expect on a desktop computer — so just tapping the black bar should toggle its visibility.