Jake

New Forums! Post feedback, notes, etc here

Mobile theme can be turned on via a button in the very bottom left of the page.

The square avatar thing is actually a side-effect of importing all the data over from vBulletin. The new forum will generate nice square thumbnails when you add a new avatar, and you can even determine which part it uses — but ones carried over from before have no such thumbnail so the regular version is simply stretched into place. I doubt there's a trivial way around this so if it bothers you just re-upload your avatar.

The square avatar thing is actually a side-effect of importing all the data over from vBulletin. The new forum will generate nice square thumbnails when you add a new avatar, and you can even determine which part it uses — but ones carried over from before have no such thumbnail so the regular version is simply stretched into place. I doubt there's a trivial way around this so if it bothers you just re-upload your avatar.

It probably comes from us setting the max size wrong before bringing them over, too. It was a thing I didn't intend to lose (the crazy huge avatars) but didn't catch it in time.

I wonder if it's early enough in the forums life that we couldn't re-import those without blowing up the board. I don't know how risky that would be though.

I doubt there's a trivial way around this so if it bothers you just re-upload your avatar.

Well, re-uploading my own avatar wouldn't solve the problem with everyone else's avatars, which are the ones bothering me. Didn't realise the old bord supported rectangular avatars, though.

The new forums are really fast, is it running on new hardware? Or were they maybe always this fast, I'll admit I'm browsing them quite a bit more since the new version.

Same hardware. The old forum software was years old and not really maintained. I think the new software caches more aggressively and yes, it's definitely quicker.

yay! new forums! :) Even though this is the first thread I'm looking at I'm liking it so far! :) One feature request: can you add this to the style sheet?

body { max-width: 1280px; }

That way things don't go ridiculously wide on big screens and keeps things readable.

[edit]

This might be just my custom style sheet messing things up, but the pop-up that shows up when you hover over a username is positioned way too much to the right.

Oh and one easy way to remove that gradient in the header is to add the following to the CSS:

#branding { margin-bottom: -71px !important; }
#header_bar, #primary_nav { background: none transparent !important; }

(You can probably leave off the !important bit though)

[edit 2]

Can we turn off the post count? We didn't have that on the old forums, did we?

Nope, we did!

Also, pop-up for usernames is fine for me!

depraved filth!

You just earned yourself a Warning Point.

I feel like you guys were like, "oh wow, youmeyou just joined, we should snazzy up this dump!" It's ok guys, you don't have to try that hard for me. I do like the changes though.

yay! new forums! :) Even though this is the first thread I'm looking at I'm liking it so far! :) One feature request: can you add this to the style sheet?

body { max-width: 1280px; }

That way things don't go ridiculously wide on big screens and keeps things readable.

[edit]

This might be just my custom style sheet messing things up, but the pop-up that shows up when you hover over a username is positioned way too much to the right.

Oh and one easy way to remove that gradient in the header is to add the following to the CSS:

#branding { margin-bottom: -71px !important; }
#header_bar, #primary_nav { background: none transparent !important; }

(You can probably leave off the !important bit though)

[edit 2]

I'll add a max width thing in there.

Your custom CSS is breaking the pop-up I think, as it looks right in FF/Chrome (to me at least).

I know how to remove the gradient!

I think all of the (small) problems I've noticed have been pointed out already. Other than those, sweet forums!

:broken:

I like the performance of the new forum. It's fast.

Hmm... I just noticed that all emoticons from my signature are gone when I post. Now it doesn't show the tups and tdowns.

never mind, it's there now, I guess I needed to save it once

I might like the names a little bigger, or maybe bold so they stand out a little more.

Are thread tags gone for good?

I'm super curious about those mysterious dots under some avatars. I don't know whether I should be proud or ashamed that I have them.

how do I mark everything as read?

At the bottom of every page there's a "Mark Community Read" link which will reveal a "Mark all as read" option. Alternatively, you can click on the quote balloons on the index page to mark specific forums as read.

Talking about a hidden feature

I also notice you can mark a forum as read by clicking it's icon on the main page.