Security_Tubbs

Kerbal Space Program

I claim this site in the name of the Idle Thumbs Space Agency. It is actually the flag, but having all textures on the lowest setting makes them a barely recognizable smudge.

JNMc5Ly.png

Also, here are the flag images. They go into the (game directory) \ GameData \ Squad \ Flags  -directory

PMd9meY.png2fqFpjz.png

Flags are the best addition I could have imagined. I'd like to be able to apply them to my rockets though. 

I've just been messing about with the new docking ring and crew capsules. The large docking ring is much more stable. An Apollo/Saturn V style mission seems far more feasible. 

Finally! One of my ships reached the moon!  :lol:

. . .Only orbit, unfortunately, but it's a start. Now to build a rocket that won't run out of fuel when it arrrives.

Keeping a command module in lunar orbit while sending a lander to the surface is my white whale. I never have enough fuel and end up barely Apollo-13ing my way home with RCS thrust. The new slimline one man lander could help.

There's something funky going on on the Mun. I landed two craft there. First one was a rover/buggy drop-off with a skycrane. It was a really close one, probably the closest one I've ever had, fuel wise. There was probably no more than two seconds of fuel left at the time of the drop off. The problem is with the buggy, though. Even as it's supposed to be perfectly still, it jitters and bounces slightly. It does it when the buggy is moving as well, so it's basically unusable.

I thought it was just a physics bug from unevenly placed wheels, or that there's something wrong with the new wheels. I landed the second craft, a one-man lander with the tiny lander legs. Everything went fine until the point of touchdown. That craft started doing the weird physics dance as well, only more so. It was literally jumping and flipping over, it even did a flip. To prevent tragedy, I fired up the engines as the craft was pointing upwards, jumped brave Lofrey Kerman out and landed him with the jetpack. That way he wouldn't die if the lander twitched and crashed itself, or he wouldn't get crushed by a random jump as he's trying to get out of it. (In reality, though, I also wanted a crash without killing any kerbals).

What further convinced me something weird was going on, instead of just two unlucky random bugs, was that the flag I planted after Lofrey was on the ground exploded after I went in to time acceleration.

ps. I freaking love skycranes. Even when they work as planned, you get to watch something crash and explode. This wasn't my first skycrane drop-off, but it still makes me feel fuzzy. No wonder NASA used one for Curiosity.

Your physics is drunk. I've had no problems with the update.

Do you have any screen shots? I've never seen a skycrane in action.

My Apollo vision quest made a massive leap forwards today. The new large rocket makes a perfect second stage. The lunar module sits in the second stage allowing the command/service module to flip around and dock with it in orbit. This distributes the load more evenly and prevents catastrophic torque wobbles. My only problem now is the two man lander is really thirsty. My Michael Collins had to make the lonely journey home alone after the lunar module ran out of fuel during assent and buried its crew on the Mun.

I'm back to trying to figure out how to pull an orbital intercept to bring my stranded crew home. Unfortunately, I had a couple of botched launches and lost my first couple Kerbals.

Do you know the basic principles involved?

Launch while target is roughly overhead (make sure you mark it as your target) and start orbiting at the same altitude. Then all you need to remember is a tighter orbit will increase speed relative to the target. Once you are within a few km of the target burn retrograde until the relative target speed reads zero.

Once your speed is matched it's just a matter of burning towards the target at 20-50m/s, then burning retrograde once within 100m or so until your speed is matched. Once close use RCS to move into position.

The most important thing is to be patient and take your time. Also speed is hard to judge so it's best to fly with instruments until you reach the RCS phase.

post-26511-0-75734500-1371489404_thumb.png

This is my five man mission to Duna, Thirsty Dog. It comprises of five modules, the rear most section being a two man lander (in this picture the unmanned service module is yet to detach). Since this picture was take I've shuttled the final crew members up there. Now I intend to send an unmanned tug to fully fuel Thirsty Dog and shunt her into a higher orbit. 

I've been watching the tutorial videos marked on this KSP forum thread: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/15652-Orbital-Mechanics-101-A-Kerbal-Space-Program-Tutorial

They've been helpful, but my problem so far as been matching the off kilter epliptical orbit that my out-of-fuel capsule is on without running low on fuel for the newer capsules. Looking at his rocket setup versus my own, I think I might have found a big problem. If you put two of those big orange fuel tanks end-to-end, they don't automatically crossfeed do they?

They crossfeed but they weigh too much for that to be useful. If you are trying to use two of those with one Mainsail you won't get very far. You may want to try an asparagus set up. Alternatively forget about the big engines and use the small engines and solid fuel boosters. Remember, the heavier you are the more fuel you need to accelerate and decelerate. 

Would an unmanned rescue be possible? Is there a docking port on the stranded ship?

No docking port, it's going to have to be a space walk from one to the other. I've been intentionally avoiding all but the most basic ship design tips because I was trying to kind of explore it myself. You'll probably think my current build is pretty hilarious.

I have 16 solid fuel boosters assembled end-to-end into 8 pairs which are radially attached to a double orange tank with a mainsail engine. That's all capped off with the final powered stage being a short fuel tank with a poodle engine. I generally make it up to orbit just fine, but I need to practice the gravity turn because I end up with too much upward thrust (almost enough to break orbit entirely) but not enough latteral thrust.

If it is a three man crew you could use one of the new circular rocket computer things and the four man container. That would make your orbiter lighter and easier to accelerate while making the whole think much safer. The poodle is a fine engine but the stubby fuel tank is useless for the mission you're trying to pull off, substitute it for an intermediate size. 

As for vertical v. horizontal thrust, solid rockets don't have gimbals so offer zero control. They are best used to break out of the first atmospheric layer, after than you want to be using controlled liquid thrust. 

post-26511-0-40545800-1371497011_thumb.png

This is my proposed rescue ship. Please note;

- No crew required, flies remotely! 

- Very light, requiring minimal fuel to reach orbit

Be aware;

- Solar powered computers need the sun to operate. A nuclear power solution may be preferable.

- This is an untested design which may require tweaks/may not leave the ground.

- I forgot to draw fuel on the orbiter, you will need that.

If it is a three man crew you could use one of the new circular rocket computer things and the four man container. That would make your orbiter lighter and easier to accelerate while making the whole think much safer. The poodle is a fine engine but the stubby fuel tank is useless for the mission you're trying to pull off, substitute it for an intermediate size. 

As for vertical v. horizontal thrust, solid rockets don't have gimbals so offer zero control. They are best used to break out of the first atmospheric layer, after than you want to be using controlled liquid thrust. 

Oh, with that much weight the solid fuel boosters are already gone before I have to wory about rolling over. The acceleration I get out of them is actually kinda comical, but hey every little bit helps. The stubby fuel tank was enough for the orbiter in the videos I linked, but I'll think about using the second size up. I've never used any of the computers yet, I had problems the one time I tried to use the electric engine and gave up on the whole thing. I'll keep that design in mind when I rebuild my new series of craft.

Just for kicks, here's the rocket I was working with before. As you can see, it's a bit over engineered.

screenshot1_zps1e8645e1.png

And here's the new one I setup. Unfortunately, I still run out of fuel just as I'm about to get a stable orbit but before I can match the other pod's orbit.

screenshot0_zps7e298363.png

Well, tonight I got the unmanned Essex 2 out onto the launch pad:

screenshot22_zpsf1de03ca.png

It's pretty close to the same as the Essex pictured above, but with some extra struts, fuel pipes, and forgoing the extended separators for the three outboard engines. After a few aborted attempts to launch in the proper orbit and one failed attempt where I forgot to extend the solar panels to power my autopilot, I finally made it into a stable orbit somewhat close to the lost Flopsy 5 capsule.

screenshot4_zpsb40c9cd0.png

After a lot of work and watching a lot of tutorial videos, I managed to get within sight range. This shot is at around 300 meters. You can just barely see the sun glinting off the side of capsule straight to the left of the shine on the water right over the coast.

screenshot9_zpsc741899d.png

Using mostly RCS, I closed on the capsule, but I ran out of RCS fuel as I was closing slowly on the pod. Thankfully, rather than overshooting, the two collided. Even more thankfully, they collided light enough to avoid any damage. Gergard leaves the ship, the first Kerbal to walk in space, and slowly jets over to the Essex 2. He bonks his head on one of the solar panels, but manages to crawl inside.

screenshot10_zps374999af.png

Here's Halcott, the last man out of the Flopsy 5 pod. You can see the broken solar panel floating away toward the bottom left of the picture.

screenshot12_zpse1bb2ad3.png

Here's the Essex 2 rentry...

screenshot17_zps6c152989.png

...and the splashdown.

screenshot21_zpse140e2c6.png

Mission Accomplished!

Tonight someone told me about the Reddit Up Goer Five challenge: Launch something, get to the Mun and back, but with the engines initially facing upwards. There are quite a few on youtube, but I think this is my favourite:

This is a good one too:

I just bought this. I was seduced by the possibility of space stations and planetary bases. I am not convinced I will have a single successful launch.

What does it mean when your estimated burn time is displayed as N/A? I've got a guy in orbit but I don't know how to maneuver him in any way because it won't tell me how long I need to burn for.

What does any of it mean? :confused: 

This game took me by surprise. I bought it simply because of the sale, but after spending some time with it I think I've fallen in love. It's quite an inspiring game.

I'm just hoping the new update drops soon as apparently it breaks compatibility with old saves.