Security_Tubbs

Kerbal Space Program

You really only need the prograde and retrograde vectors. The others only become important for getting to planets that are of axis from kebin.

If there is no thread currently for showing of the cool stuff you can make in this game I will just use this one.

So I'm that Darkness Guy form the stream and the pics I posted where from really simple builds but I lost everything in an reinstall recently so that was all I got. 

So I will show you guys what I'm currently working on. The goal is to get to Laythe but not with just a small ship/lander. That wouldn't be much of a challenge at this point for me. 

So I want to build a ship that has allot of landers, dornes and space planes on it and get it there. At the moment I spend about 50 hours on this monster and I'm not sure it will work.

Since I don't have a screen of the core in space here is what it looks like in the building area. It is a big core but also really stable. With the 4 docking ports the attached modules are a lot more stable.

http://imgur.com/5GjLNHH

After putting that thing in space I added 2 Drone Modules that will tell me all the info about Laythe that I could just look up on the wiki but I don't want to.

http://imgur.com/1jBjPkt

Since I don't just want to land on Laythe but also want to get back in space I added 4 Space Planes. Real simple design but capable of getting into kerbin orbit. At this point FPS drop to less than 15 when getting close to that thing what you can imagine is really great for complex docking maneuvers

http://imgur.com/kHqqjdv

Last bottom ring of cause are engines and since this thing is huge I need lots of engines and fuel. So I just added 4 big tanks with 4 atomic engines each for lots of thrust.

http://imgur.com/OeL82RB

And this is where I'm currently at. I just addet 2 Dorp pods to get kerbins down on the surface. I don't really know what I put on the last outer 2 ports. Top will be some kind of cockpit.

http://imgur.com/O3x7bKw

So yeah I play this game quite a bit. Now I want to see what you are building. I love seeing all kinds of different rockets/ships and what not. 

God damn I love this game! I have only played a few hours and my biggest achievement so far has been reaching the moon's orbit, but the experience has already been infinitely more rewarding than with any other game I have played in a long long time. The seamlessness of the whole process from launch to orbiting and landing is what makes the whole experience so unique for me.

I think I ignored this game for so long largely because the kerbals made it seem like a goofy baby game. I couldn't have been more wrong. I like the little things, though. Much better choice than trying to render dull human astronauts.

This game seems awesome, but I don't know if I would be willing to invest the necessary brain power to master it and achieve full enjoyment. Maybe I'll try the demo even though it sounds like it's had its space-wings clipped.

Regardless, I will be totally on board for the visceral 2023 reboot, "Kerbal Space Marine".

I tried this out and at first I couldn't even figure out how to attach a parachute. Have yet to get something to orbit. Probably need to watch some tutorials.

What's up with the components sometimes not attaching to other components? e.g. I add a fuel tank to the nose thingie, take it apart and then can't put it back.

I am awful at this (more than an hour in, haven't even managed earth orbit). Although I have managed to fail in spectacular ways, once managing a proper explosion due to overheating. Pro tip: 8xsolid fuel boosters (the kind you can't control throttle on) is...probably too much.

holy crap. this is the best trailer I have ever seen

Solar eclipse during takeoff.

qTcnCQvl.jpg

N2iS0z6l.jpg

Larger image

N2iS0z6.jpg

wow.

well. sorry about the huge quote. but these needed to be on the new page anyway. fantastic

Nice!

By the way, you don't necessarily have to resize the pictures and hide the original. The forum automatically scales down large images.

Looks like I managed to figure out how to make airplanes. Well, I've managed to make a few, but taking off was always the problem. I solved it by having the front wheel be a little lower than the back wheels, so that the nose of the plane points a bit above the horizon naturally. Other key aspect is using Shift+WSADQE to rotate the wings a little (so that from behind, the wings form a very flat V, and that the front part of the wing points a little up).

A SSTO-plane (Single Stage To Orbit) is something I have still yet to achieve. Although to be fair, I've spent most of my time with vertical take off rockets.

gLgxudP.png

Also, my first ever probe to Eeloo. The surface looks pretty interesting. Shame that my ship was just a boring ol' probe without a rover or even landing capabilities. It was originally intended to go to Jool's orbit, but the opportunity arose to catch Eeloo with only a little extra effort. Getting there was hardly optimal, though, and it took two years and a few weeks.

Ii6QUsg.jpg

I'm making it into orbit and back home regularly now (besides once where the force from the parachutes pulled my capsule apart.) My next step is to rendezvous with my first orbiting capsule that had enough fuel to get into orbit, but not enough to de-orbit again. I'm going to bring those lost kerbals back to the ground even if it's in a bodybag. So far, matching orbital planes has been super hard. I've run low on fuel each time and had to abandon the mission and de-orbit.

Fate has ordained that the kerbals who went to the moon to explore in peace will stay on the moon to rest in peace.

(My first attempt at actually landing on the moon was less than successful.)

If your kerbal(s) didn't die, it was pretty successful, especially for a first attempt. Now send another mission to save the poor fella.

You can do the Steam conversion for your old KSP purchase now. Just login to the website and go to the store. I forget where the button actually is and I can't look anymore, but it's there.

After watching the stream I decided to get KSP and play it in a vacuum (no pun intended.) I'd played it a few years ago, back when the demo was still being updated, so had a very basic grasp of the game. By avoiding any external information I hoped to better simulate a bloated and irresponsible space program. Finally after 30 hours, a dozen dead Kerbals and an ocean of rocket fuel I landed Hope VII (named after the scientific principle driving the mission and hinting at the good men misplaced in space) and it's two man crew on the moon. It was probably the most rewarding and exhilarating experiences I've ever had with a game. If only I'd considered the return flight...

I've been teaching myself the art of orbital docking today. A litany of disasters. The Carcassonne Program aims to construct the first permanently habitable satellite, or "space station". The scale is something akin to the SkyLab stations, maybe a little larger.

Achieving a stable, circular, 90° LEO with the structural core I felt pretty good about myself. Then maneuvering the first solar array within visual range before carefully docking with the core and decoupling the part from my service module, I felt like a space lord.

This is when the first mishap occurred. I accidentally hit the space bar, detaching the engine, leaving my three man crew orbiting impotently in their command module. These men had just made history, pioneers of flight; they had to be rescued.

The plan was economical and elegant. Send the next component, a four man living compartment to rendezvous with the stranded command module, dock and transfer the crew into the station component. This I did with some difficulty due to an unfortunate nudge which resulted in some difficult to manage spinning. I succeeded and it seamed that Carcassonne would its first, very dizzy occupants.

Docking was uneventful (which felt like an achievement in itself). This mission at this point was going better than I could of hope. Maybe as an effort by the Kerbal gods to clip my Icarian wings it became impossible to decouple the connection between service vehicle and station. Now my rescue party are stuck onto their rescued quarry, awaiting a second rescue party to bring them back home.