Alunnite

Dust 514

I've been meaning to make this thread for a while, but I've been waiting for some news to roll out with it. The good news is that the guys at CCP have set up an open registration for their beta. Just visit their home page or click here to have a chance of getting in. For those that don't know what Dust 514 is here is a very confusing description.

Dust 514 is a F2P/MMO/FPS/PS3 exclusive game based in the same universe as Eve Online (a space based MMO). Not only is it based in the same universe as Eve the two games will be linked together with actual gameplay. The best example of this is orbital bombardments. Dust players will be able to send co-ordinates and launch codes to Eve players who, in turn, will use that information to send down a strike that can kill the Dust player's enemies. During this time anti-air turrets will be able to attack the Eve player from across game. On a technical level it is jaw-dropping, and from a gameplay perspective its pretty special.

If this game does well it is going to change how the industry looks at so many different aspects of how everything works. CCP also has a 10 year plan set in place for this game so it will also be the first game that transitions the console upgrade. I'm super exited for this game and hopefully a few of us can get together and create the Thumbs 514 alliance.

EVE is the only game I can think of that sounds astonishing, but that I'd never want to enter. This coordinates thing is pretty scary. I wonder what those crazy people will come-up with.

According to your link, Dust 514 is F2P. I wonder how long-time EVE players - some undoubtedly PC snobs - will take to that.

I think I'll watch this from afar, but stay out of it.

According to your link, Dust 514 is F2P. I wonder how long-time EVE players - some undoubtedly PC snobs - will take to that.

I think I'll watch this from afar, but stay out of it.

I never played Eve and purposely avoid MMO because I know I'll probably spend way too much time on them. I have been speaking to some Eve players recently though and they all seem fine with it. I don't think it has ever been a topic of conversation. You can't really complain about, what is essentially, a free extension pack.

God, i love reading about EVE, just such an incredibly interesting game.

Did you guys see the amazing two part piece on Rock Paper Shotgun? You had things like the developers talking, somewhat tongue in cheek, about their need to find ways to "engender hate" between people to create economy sinks. They were even drawing correlations between themselves and arms dealers.

Absolutely fascinating.

EVE is the only MMO i really tried to get into, and i really loved almost everything about it, but ultimately decided that i couldn't afford the investment of time and money. (I also wasn't really willing to go to the incredible lengths it would have taken to survive in nullsec space; by far the most fascinating part of the game, with all of its politics and espionage.)

Anyways, isn't Dust also coming out on the PC?

As for the free-to-play thing, i imagine it's the only way it'll work out. CCP wants Dust to become an important part of the EVE universe, which means people need to play it. Easiest way to make that happen is to make it free.

I mean, and while it plays into that universe in a very direct way, it's a different side of it. I suspect that the people who are way into the internet spaceships side of things won't feel particularly trounced upon. They're paying for the deeper and more involved part of the universe, and they are the people that the dudes playing Dust will be taking orders from.

EVE is the only MMO i really tried to get into, and i really loved almost everything about it, but ultimately decided that i couldn't afford the investment of time and money. (I also wasn't really willing to go to the incredible lengths it would have taken to survive in nullsec space; by far the most fascinating part of the game, with all of its politics and espionage.)

Same, I do not function well when I have to be present at a specific time and date for an op. I do get back into EVE maybe twice a year, do some missions, some mining in the background (RIP Hulk), level my dude, pimp my ships. It's fun.

So far DUST looks very interesting, the shooter aspect of is not even the most interesting part, it's the persistence, the link to EVE and also the amount of modules and fittings you can put on your dudes seems to put MW and BF to shame.

I'll be keeping an eye out on the beta feedback that must coming soon.

Like many people I have been given two more codes that I have no one to give to. So here they are:

35BE-BDN3-TBTJ

H7CT-FPNP-EQD7

What do they do?

I have a PS3, but motivating myself to turn it on is not easy.

They let you play Dust 514, a cheap, clumsy, generic first-person shooter with awful graphics.

The hook is that it brings all the inscrutable menus and bad fonts that you love from Eve Online.

disclaimer: I played a while ago, things may well have improved.

Like many people I have been given two more codes that I have no one to give to. So here they are:

35BE-BDN3-TBTJ

H7CT-FPNP-EQD7

Im assuming whatever these are for that they are redeemed through the PSN store - if so they are both gone already, unfortunately. I was hoping it was a beta invite and I would get a chance to try it out.

It's not worth the download. Really quite astonishingly bad for a 'beta'.

Is it really that bad? Its one of the few PS3 games Ive been looking forward to.

Im trying to find some gameplay videos from the PS3 beta that you can get from PSN, but I can only find crap from E3 or other events.

CCP just boggles the mind sometimes. Why is DUST 514 a PS3 title. The intersection between Eve Online "enthusiasts" and PS3 owners must be really really small.

I haven't played Dust 514 and very little of EVE; but I always thought that the whole game-design point of making an FPS and releasing on it on console was to have 2 radically different community, with vastly different skillset and network structure work/bargain/fight against each other ... sort of emulating the difference between order givers and grunts. I mean, that's the main reason I'm interested in that project; but maybe I'm wrong.

I agree the beta would probably be better titled as an alpha. I'm enjoying what I get to play though.

CCP just boggles the mind sometimes. Why is DUST 514 a PS3 title. The intersection between Eve Online "enthusiasts" and PS3 owners must be really really small.

I think making it a PS3 game was definitely a good idea. I have never touched Eve as I normally get sucked into MMOs. By not putting Dust on the PC they have opened it up to a lot more people than the "Eve Audience", myself included. I have personally haven't played a console game that promises to go as deep as Dust 514 will since Baulder's Gate.

I agree the beta would probably be better titled as an alpha. I'm enjoying what I get to play though.

I think making it a PS3 game was definitely a good idea. I have never touched Eve as I normally get sucked into MMOs. By not putting Dust on the PC they have opened it up to a lot more people than the "Eve Audience", myself included. I have personally haven't played a console game that promises to go as deep as Dust 514 will since Baulder's Gate.

PS3 version, sure, maybe, I can see that, for all you console plebssssssssss. PS3 exclusive is stupid.

But then all exclusives are stupid. PC or console or whatever. Unless it's directly tied to the hardware (ala games that require touch screens or the Wii remote or whatever), which Dust 514 is most certainly not.

It's too bad it's apparently shit, according to this thread, because it's a really interesting concept, otherwise.

I played a couple of matches but got stomped. Much like EVE you get destroyed until you get better. Laughting at the "elite Console Gamers" and EVE cronies thumb their chests and threaten each other at the forums doesn't get old though.

Dust players will be able to send co-ordinates and launch codes to Eve players who, in turn, will use that information to send down a strike that can kill the Dust player's enemies. During this time anti-air turrets will be able to attack the Eve player from across game. On a technical level it is jaw-dropping, and from a gameplay perspective its pretty special.

Depending on how expensive the new Interdictors will be (the ship class CCP designated for orbital bombardment) and how valuable PI (the mechanics for drawing resources from Planets) will be when the market settles after Dust this may or may not be worth it.

Other factors that will affect the viability of orbital bombardment: Scarcity of Dust players, value of the resources extracted from a given planet, how expensive Dust-equipment is going to be (including air-turrets) and the ability to circumvent PI through the market.

Yup, EVE is a great game.

POSTSCRIPT: I'm guessing since CCP pushed the aspects of EVE-Dust interchange really hard in marketing they will make it worthwhile.