I haven't tried any myself, but I'm pretty sure that everyone has to have the same mods running to play together.  I think there's a separate lobby for modded games.

I messed around with some mods this past weekend.  When you start Torchlight with mods, the game uses a separate folder to save data so your non-modded saves won't be available.  There's a separate lobby for modded games and you can filter by what mods are being run.  In order to join a game, you need to have exactly the same mods as everyone else.  Luckily, Runic has a handy "download and install" button to help with this.  If you want to join a game but don't have the mods, you can hit that button and the game will go find them and install them and restart the game so you can play.  It uses Steamworks for this, so if the mod isn't available from the Steam community page you'll have to get it yourself.  It's still kind of a pain to find a specific game and join it, but the fact that the game will find and install the necessary mods for you is pretty cool.

Hey all, if anyone's still interested in playing I would be willing to give it a shot (or Monaco!).

Badfinger on Steam, probably Badfinger for Runic as well.

e: pretty sure my highest level character is sub level 20.

There are some pretty cool class mods out there I'd love to try with other people.  I'll be on this weekend if anyone wants to play.  As usual, I'll be hanging out in the Steam group chat.

Ahoy hoy fell Thumbers! I've just returned from my European jaunt and I'm currently getting knee deep into vidya games before I have to return to the adult life of working. I'm on Torchlight at the moment and was wondering if anyone wanted to join me? I've started an Outlander which is at level 9 at the moment, but I wouldn't mind creating another character to play with fellow readers. My Runic account is also Dosed, but I'm called Dosed on Steam too and I'm friends with a bunch of people on there like The Last Baron and Patrick R if you want to find me through them. Cheers!