Playing the beta, and looking for some Thumbs who want to play some multiplayer. It'd be fun to have a party with a full complement of characters. I like the ranged Outlander, but would be down for whatever.

I have beta access, but have not played it for more than five minutes. Once I've played it myself, I would be glad to join in on multiplayer.

This weekend is a stress test so there's going to be a whole lot of beta invites going out, I think (or have they already been sent?). I'm not in yet either, but I'm signed up in the hopes this weekend will give me a chance to try the game, as I'm not certain whether or not to get it myself.

Well I just got an email saying I'm in for the stress test this weekend, so I'm up for it! My username is Gwardinen, but I have no idea how any kind of matchmaking or friend stuff works as of yet.

I got a key, somehow. So I'll be up for it whenever I'm around. Best bet is to catch me on Steam.

I played a little of it last night without being super impressed, but it'll probably be better with a group. As I said my username is Gwardinen, and it seems like you can set up games that only friends can join, so I'll be doing that any time I check it out but you may want to post usernames here so we can throw out friend invites quickly.

Anyone want a weekend beta key? I'm ordering the parts for my computer and don't expect to have it built till next weekend. Woops!

It feels... light? Airy? After Diablo 3 it feels like it lacks punch. Everything feels floaty and dull.

Someone tell me how many players this supports, 'cause Diablo 3 only supports four and that is super lame. ):

Someone tell me how many players this supports, 'cause Diablo 3 only supports four and that is super lame. ):

I think I read that it's 6.

It feels... light? Airy? After Diablo 3 it feels like it lacks punch. Everything feels floaty and dull.

That's weird, I was just thinking that the amount of leeway it gives you is a breath of fresh air, after the tightly authored experience of Diablo 3. Diff'rent strokes, I guess.

That is slightly less lame.

50% less lame to be exact.

I'm trying to squeeze info out of people regarding any class skills that are in, since the main site provides no info to that degree. I think people are too busy having fun. Without me.

I'm trying to squeeze info out of people regarding any class skills that are in, since the main site provides no info to that degree. I think people are too busy having fun. Without me.

I just beat the first act, so I'm done with the beta for now. I'll hang around while doing laundry today and answer any questions you manage to post before the beta closes tonight.

Fair warning, a large chunk of high-level skills are hidden for beta testers, with only fifteen to eighteen left visible for each of the four classes.

I just beat the first act, so I'm done with the beta for now. I'll hang around while doing laundry today and answer any questions you manage to post before the beta closes tonight.

Fair warning, a large chunk of high-level skills are hidden for beta testers, with only fifteen to eighteen left visible for each of the four classes.

Well, what sorta skill trees were there for the classes, and were the themes of each tree evident?

Okay, let's see.

Engineer: Blitz (mostly two-handed damage skills), Construction (minions and their maintenance), and Aegis (shield and armor enhancement).

Embermage: Inferno (fire and damage skills), Frost (ice and protection skills), and Storm (electrical and buff skills).

Berserker: Hunter (melee damage and buff skills), Tundra (crowd control and area-of-effect skills), and Shadow (summoning, shapeshifting, and the kitchen sink).

Outlander: Warfare (ranged and area-of-effect damage skills), Lore (debuff and crowd control skills, mostly focused on glaives), and Sigil (curses and traps).

Of course, that's horribly oversimplifying things, since the skill trees are more strongly oriented around a theme than any constellation of synergistic powers. Overall, the Berserker looks the most straightforward (read: boring), but they all have decent overlap for solo play with enough diversity to encourage grouping.

Okay, let's see.

Engineer: Blitz (mostly two-handed damage skills), Construction (minions and their maintenance), and Aegis (shield and armor enhancement).

Embermage: Inferno (fire and damage skills), Frost (ice and protection skills), and Storm (electrical and buff skills).

Berserker: Hunter (melee damage and buff skills), Tundra (crowd control and area-of-effect skills), and Shadow (summoning, shapeshifting, and the kitchen sink).

Outlander: Warfare (ranged and area-of-effect damage skills), Lore (debuff and crowd control skills, mostly focused on glaives), and Sigil (curses and traps).

Of course, that's horribly oversimplifying things, since the skill trees are more strongly oriented around a theme than any constellation of synergistic powers. Overall, the Berserker looks the most straightforward (read: boring), but they all have decent overlap for solo play with enough diversity to encourage grouping.

Well in some of those cases you were able to identify a functional-theme for the trees. Crowd control, buffs, etc. In the first game, for the most part trees were just based on themes of "how do you kill stuff." The alchemist being the most exaggerated form of that since it was a choice of summons vs. spells vs. engaging the enemy head on.

The first question that pops to my head right here is what separates the engineer's Blitz tree from what the Berserker does?

The first question that pops to my head right here is what separates the engineer's Blitz tree from what the Berserker does?

The Engineer is oriented more towards two-handed weapons than the Berserker, but more pointedly the Engineer's "Blitz" tree is focused on piling different status effects on the target in addition to damage, while the Berserker's "Hunter" tree is about building and enhancing its "rage" mechanic.

I mean, all classes have a "rage" or similar momentum-driving mechanic, but most of the Berserker's skills involve tangible benefits to keeping it high, while the Engineer purely uses it as currency to enhance specific attacks.

The Engineer is oriented more towards two-handed weapons than the Berserker, but more pointedly the Engineer's "Blitz" tree is focused on piling different status effects on the target in addition to damage, while the Berserker's "Hunter" tree is about building and enhancing its "rage" mechanic.

I mean, all classes have a "rage" or similar momentum-driving mechanic, but most of the Berserker's skills involve tangible benefits to keeping it high, while the Engineer purely uses it as currency to enhance specific attacks.

Oh good, they're adding to the complexity beyond simple "use mana" stuff. That alone has my interest enough.

Oh good, they're adding to the complexity beyond simple "use mana" stuff. That alone has my interest enough.

I was actually just playing through with the Embermage and having too much of a blast to quit until now. With the Engineer, the "charge" mechanic (as it's called in the game) is merely five points you fill in a meter hovering awkwardly above the main UI (this, in addition to the need for a quick-map hotkey and a clear statement of a spell's damage, constitutes my only complaint about the game thus far). These points are spent automatically when you cast certain spells for a supercharged version, e.g. the tongues of fire a hammer-slam sends out are doubled and seek out enemies.

With the Embermage, it's a bar that fills up, and once it's full you have ten seconds of infinite mana and increased damage. It gives a great rhythm to the play that is really empowering -- kill all the small fry around the boss, then explode in a frenzy of flaming death for ten seconds to take out the big guy himself. This dynamic alone has me considering a preorder for a game that was solidly a wait-and-see before.